Cycling partners sought / bicycle touring

120 posts in this topic

The weather forecast for Sunday looks promising. We're thinking of heading south and cycling somewhere in the area between Starnbergersee and Ammersee.

The deal: racing bike tour, 60-100km with rolling hills, start on Sunday morning, maybe a cake stop at the end.

One possibility is to start in Munich, see how far we can go and then get the train/S-bahn back.

Maybe it would be a good idea to start a separate thread for off-road tours?

@Bron: I would be interested for these long bike tours. Not this sunday.

Lets make it specific for racing bike as this one looks more for mountain bikes. Its a good idea!

Well we had a nice 105 km round trip with a stop for some Bavarian isotonic sports drink (non-alcoholic, of course). The whole world and his wife was out on bikes today.

I´d like to cycle again next Sunday, weather permitting.

Hi folks, I just moved here a couple of weeks ago, and am looking for people to ride with (if you know of good rides, please let me know!).

Here's a ride I did today:

http://piaw.blogspot.com/2008/04/day-ridin...-foothills.html

My preference is to ride on Saturdays and hike on Sundays, but I expect the next few Saturdays to be eaten up by Apartment Hunting. During that time, I'll likely ride on Sundays. I'm not very fast (check out the motion-based log for today's ride), and am much more interested in beautiful scenery than I am in going fast.

I can't make mid-week cycling for the next 2 weeks (8am to 5pm classes), but this Sunday's forecast looks great again. Who's up for a ride? I was thinking about hopping on a train to Garmisch and riding back to Wolfrathausen via Mittenwald on a day ticket. (100km) Anyone else up for that? (I'm open to better suggestions as well!)

Probably can´t make Sunday which is a shame as that looks like a nice ride. 1st May depends on Mr Bron´s road rash.

That sounds like a fantastic ride. Just a question - what sort of bike are you using for this, in case anyone decides to try this one again?

The Leutasch valley is also great for cross-country ski-ing in winter.

I'm riding a sport touring bike with 25mm tires at the moment. There was no unpaved roads in this ride to speak of. I encourage you to download the GPS track and attempt this ride. It was beautiful!

Which would be the best way to go down to Starnberg from Munich? I'm trying to get back to cycling slowly and am looking for trips around 70 km to train.

Did Freising and back on Sunday and would like to try Starnberg and around the lake or Starnberg and back. Depending on the route and the distance.

I've looked around and it should be around 30 km to Starnberg and 50 around the lake, so that should do 80 which I could do. However, I don't know which would be a suitable route.

From what I've found on google I could ride along the Würm river from Pasing all the way down to Starnberg. However, I was trying to find a route from Schwabing down to Starnberg without having to go all the way to Pasing. If I use the Isarradweg at some point I should find a cycling path to the west which takes me to Starnberg, otherwise I'll end up in Wolfratshausen.

Any ideas?

One way is:

From Schwabing (I'm assuming a start at Hohzollernplatz, because this is easy to find), go west along Hohenzollernstr., Schwere-Reiter-str., Leonrodstr. (these all follow on from each other) until you get to Rot-Kreuz-Platz. Straight across Rot-Kreuz-Platz and follow Wendl-Dietrich-str. follow this round the sharp bend to the south and you will be on Wilhelm-Hale-Str which takes you south over Friedenheimerbrücke. Keep going south over the junction. This road turns west into Agnes-Bernauer-Str. which you should follow until it hits Fürstenriederstr. (there's a McDonalds at the junction). Turn south onto Fürstenriederstr. and follow it through Laim (watching out for pedestrians and lorries parking on the bike path). Keep going... Eventually the bike path takes a gentle curve to the right. Keep going. You should now be on a bike path parallel to the A95, just follow this and it will take you onto the Olympiastr. which goes through the Forstenrieder Park, next to the A95 all the way down to Starnberg. You will see a lot of other cyclists here.

Have a look on google maps and this route should make sense.

Btw, this route is tarmac all the way, so fine for racing bikes.

Hi

I just brought my road bike to Munich and I would love to go for a ride tomorrow -May 1st. I know this is late notice but if anyone is up for a ride tomorrow please let me know (nataras -are you planning to ride tomorrow)?

Or if anyone has detailed route directions (like above) for a nice 50-70K route, that would be great!

Thanks,

Theresa

Theresa, I´m definitely planning to ride tomorrow. I will lay down a route this evening on GPS. Call me after 5pm +1 408 786 9384 and we can discuss. My current thinking is to take S-Bahn down to Holzkirchen and do some of the local hills. But I am amenable to changes, and of course, with GPS I am never lost.

Hi

I just brought my road bike to Munich and I would love to go for a ride tomorrow -May 1st. I know this is late notice but if anyone is up for a ride tomorrow please let me know (nataras -are you planning to ride tomorrow)?

Or if anyone has detailed route directions (like above) for a nice 50-70K route, that would be great!

Thanks,

Theresa

We will probably be doing something tomorrow. I'll post in the "Racing bike rides" thread with details when we know what we are doing. Feel free to PM if you want my details.

We´re heading off up the Isar. Not on racing bikes (technical problem), but moutain bike for me and city bike for Mr Bron. Anyone wanting to join in, PM me and I´ll give you my phone number.

Distance and number of beer stops are up for negotiation. The radar pictures indicate that it´s not going to rain again.

Riding on Sunday? I just found out that the field excursion on Sunday for my class is optional, and if the weather is good, I'm dying to get outside (after getting drenched yesterday). Who wants to go ride? I still have my GPS route from 2 days before that I haven't explored.

I went down to Starnberg yesterday. Was a good ride.

Went from Scheidplatz to Heimerandplatz via Rotkreuzplatz and Donnersbergerbrücke. From there went south over the Garmischerstr. until I went into the bike path which goes next to the A95 and along the Olympiastr.

From the train station in Starnberg went around the lake until Tutzing. It started raining in Tutzing and was too tired to go under the rain for the next 11 k until the Starnberg station again.

In any case a good ride and although it was cloudy most of the time, the weather held until Tutzing. It rained a bit also in Starnberg, but was making a short break then and didn't get any of it.

Not sure if I'll go out on sunday, have to meet some friends. But if I do I'll post here.