How to get a Lohnsteuerkarte

94 posts in this topic

I don't know about doing it online but the office with responsibility has changed. It used to be done by the Einwohnermeldeamt but is now the responsbility of your local Finanzamt. I'd give your Finanzamt a call.

There are much problems with this for me and my girlfriend couse we went to KVR and registered (anmeldung). Then i asked guy where can i get lohnsteuerkarte couse i need it to my job. He told me that there are no more lohnsteuerkarte and if i want something other than lohnsteuerkarte he send me to Arbaitsamt. Then in arbaitsamt they told me that i have to go to KVR. Now i know - i have to go to Finanzamt and i will check it out tomorrow.

coloner

I would like help or confirmation please after looking at the previous posts. I live in the UK and i have temporary job In pfaffenhofen, just outside Munich in September. Hopefully I can then get another in Munich itself. I need a Lohnsteuerkarte. Can I do this beforehand online?? (dont think so) or must i go personally to the finanzamt? In pfaffenhofen or in Munich or does it not matter? Thanks in advance

I recently got my Lohnsteuerkarte from my local Finanzarmt. Just take every bit of paperwork you have, anmeldung is important, passport, if you have work then details of your employer and if you have children then their details too. Try and take originals. I was very impressed at how effecient they were and also very pain free, as they do not speak English or smile.

PS. Make sure you go to the office that covers your resident area.

Good luck

Hi thanks for that. As i will be in a B&B will it just be the local one for there or for where i will work in Pfaffenhofen? I just want to make sure i go to the right place, Thanks

I went to the Finanzamt this morning, having pre-completed thisform. I pressed the Lohnsteuerabzug button in the waiting room, got a ticket with a number on it, waited until the number was called and then went in. The lady spoke English, and gave me a printed Lohnsteuerkarte (even though I had heard they didn't exist anymore) for me to give to payroll.

I got my Lohnsteuerkarte from my local Finanzarmt.

That was a good trick, seeing as they don't exist any more.

PS. Make sure you go to the office that covers your resident area.

You don't need to GO anywhere. All you need is your personal tax number, which your employer uses to generate your PAYE.

I need a Lohnsteuerkarte.

No, you don't, you need your tax number which was assigned to you when you registered as a resident . Give your local Einwohnermeldeamt a call and ask them for it. Usually you should have been sent a notification letter.

. The lady spoke English, and gave me a printed Lohnsteuerkarte (even though I had heard they didn't exist anymore) for me to give to payroll.

Actually she didn't, because they are electronic now, but that's not the point. Who told you you needed that form?

Hi Pog451,

I'm holding it in my hand. I definitely have one. My payroll department told me I needed one, they gave me that form to complete beforehand and take with me.

All you need is your personal tax number, which your employer uses to generate your PAYE.

How do you avoid getting (highly) taxed in class VI without any Finanzamt involvement?

Whilst the Lohnsteuerkarte was officially abolished last year, and the Finanzamt has taken over responsibilities previously held by the local authorities, the Finanzamt's new electronic system is not up and running as expected, and they are now calling it a 'changeover year'.

Just a question that I wanted to add to this thread. What do employees receive after the tax year has been completed? It seemed that orignally they might have gotten the card back with their income, deductions and such, but is anything received now? For example, in the US, the W-2 is sent out to all employees by Jan 31 so that they can file their taxes and either get a refund or have a balance due. Do employees working in Germany receive a document such as this?

Thanks,

Kris

Since 2005 employers have to send collected data on prepaid taxes directly to the Finanzamt/Finanzverwaltung in electronic form at the end of each calendar year (via Elster). Employees then receive a hardcopy of the data transmitted. Here's the official form for the hardcopy.

Some employers are excluded from the mandatory electronic transmission (private households employing minijobbers and not paying fixed rate) and have to use this form.

Does anybody know what happens in 2012?

I'm starting to work in January, and it seems all info on Lohnsteuerkarte I could find online refers to 2011.

All the 'cards' are being replaced with electronic versions. You won't get a physical card anymore to give to your employer; they will receive the information electronically directly from the Finanzamt.

I'm starting to work in January, and it seems all info on Lohnsteuerkarte I could find online refers to 2011.

In 2011 the electronic Lohnsteuerkarte was instituted, therefore, you won't receive a paper Lohnsteuerkarte. It is all done through your "steuerliche Identifikationsnummer", which is on the old Lohnsteuerkarte; if you don't have one of these, you will need to get one. You ought to be able to do it at your local Finanzamt.

All the 'cards' have been replaced with electronic versions. You won't get a physical card anymore to give to your employer; they will receive the information electronically directly from the Finanzamt.

Fixed that for you.

All the 'cards' have been replaced with electronic versions. You won't get a physical card anymore to give to your employer; they will receive the information electronically directly from the Finanzamt.

Wait a second. They didn't actually manage that changeover successfully, and have now pushed back the introduction of the electronical Lohnsteuerkarte to January 2013.

So ant0 will still have to visit his local Finanzamt in Hamburg and get a paper Lohnsteuerkarte.

Hi there peeps!

I'm kinda interested where to get that Lohnsteuerkarte in Munich? Do they still issue them?