Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Recognition of foreign marriages in Germany and where to register them

18 posts in this topic

hello everyone...

i am engaged to a German guy...we are both studying in Malaysia at the moment..we have recently decided to get married, we are seriously thinking of registering our marriage here in Malaysia but we are concerned about the recognition of the marriage certificate cos we are planning to start our life together in germany hence the certificate needs to be valid there..is it safe to do it here in Malaysia?? by the way i am from Botswana incase some people mistake me for a Malaysian...

Hi Neja,

The German Government does recognize the Malaysian marriage certificate. So that should put your mind at ease.

However, there are several procedures that you will have to take in order for you to be able to present it as required by Government here. It is possible to get a English version of the certificate from the National Registration Department in Malaysia. Upon doing so, you will have to get the authenticity of the document verified by the Malaysian Foreign Ministry. Then this document must be translated by an approved translator of the German Embassy and the translated copy certified by the German Embassy.

For more information, I would suggest that you get in touch with the National Registration Department and the German Embassy. Anyway, good luck and congratulations!

Hi, we are a multinational (Indian-German) couple too, we got married in Denmark recently. It was easy, uncomplicated and is automatically valid in Germany. Let me know if you need detailed info

U guys are great..thanks a lot..i definitely need detailed info..cos right now we are torn between marrying in Malaysia (where we are based at the moment) or in Denmark...we are looking for the most uncomplicated and fastest way about it! if we decide to marry in Denmark would a tourist visa be a problem?

For Denmark you will need your passports, German Anmeldung, Birth certificates, Divorce papers if applicable. Nothing else required. End of story. If you PM me I will search up the telephone number for the Rathaus in Böv Just across the German Danish border. Lovely helpful people. Have no fear. Just do it. You will recieve a marraige certificate in German +4 certified copies all in 6 languages. Have a good day.

hi everyone...!

i've just read the posts about getting married hassle-free in denmark...and i feel very relieved that a good number of ppl here has done it...

i've got a similar situation with NEJA (hi neja! :) ) but the twist is--i'm currently working in tokyo and my fiance is in germany...we thought about getting hitched in manila (i'm a filipino citizen) coz it's a bit easier to obtain a marriage cert there...however, having the marriage there would make us work double-time coz of the bureaucracy we have to hurdle in my country and his (plus all the translation work!)... in addition, i'd like to continue working (i mean get a working permit) coz my current company has branches in germany and i think it would be nicer if i didn't have to sit around for months waiting for my permit to work legally...

my fiance has contacted a certain agency and they are charging 380 euros (per person!) if we'd like to get married within 4-6 weeks (they said that they had to receive our papers first by post and then set our wedding date...they have some "special packages" too like "flash marriage (wedding date within 3-4 weeks) 580 euros each person, 2-3 weeks 780 euros per person, 1-2 weeks 980 euros per person...and finally, 1,980 euros for a wedding within one week...so it gets more and more expensive the less time a couple has...and this is our dilemma...

i can only take a 10-day vacation from work and i don't think my fiance and i should spend so much money (like, take the "flash package") only coz we wanna get married as soon as we can...my fiance is ready to get the service of this agency but i've decided to ask around a bit coz i know that having a civil wedding shouldn't cost that much...i'd like to ask for some advice/insight/opinion/estimation regarding the following:

1. the usual price to get married in denmark within 1-2 weeks (given that all the documents are prepared and error-free)

2. the best deals (price/length of process)

3. people or agencies that offer better prices and services

any idea that may be useful regarding these topics are very sincerely appreciated...thank u so much and this site rocks btw... B)

If you get the best deal it shouldn't cost over 300 Euros!

You need arrive in Denmark couple of days before the marriage though.Reason!The Danish govt wants you to trickle a few bucks in their economic basket, as well!

But the ceremony itself is hassle free and is usually taken care of in about an hour.

Best of luck!

hey mauee :) , i hope u get the help u need...i dont know much about the whole marriage thing in Europe but from wat i can tell thus far Denmark seems to be the way to go! and thats how me and my fiance will go about it in June... my advise to you is fly to Denmark spend a few days there and get married..apparently it wont cost more than 500euros..good luck hey!!

Just for the record...you do not need to spend a few days in Denmark...we arrived in DK on the Friday night,got married Saturday mornig and left again...no one checks on you...if the wedding Agent says that then it's just because they want to make money...

I think the required length of stay depends on the commune you decide to get married in. They may ask you to produce a reservation receipt for 3-4 days for a hotel in the commune limits. In our case we had to register in person, 3 days before the ceremony, and pay the fees. Another suggestion, Denmark is hell expensive, so take care! pack cigarettes and alcohol for sure.

finally here is a direct link for people who want to avoid the agents in the middle. The people in Denmark are very competent and helpful and getting an agent is mostly a waste of money.

http://esbjergkommune.dk/default.aspx?id=2603

this link has all the answers in English, and you can really do every thing yourselves.

My German wife and married outside of Germany a few years ago, but didn't bother registering the marriage in Germany. So far we have had no problems with submitting such things as joint tax returns etc.

Some people said to me that you are supposed to register this with the "Eheregister" (it used to be the "Familienbuch"). The only laws that I can find on this however, say that you "may" register it with the "Eheregister", not that you "must". Is it really optional, and if so, what are the advantages of doing this? I assume it is not for free. What about if you plan to have kids?

Hello All, me and my wife moved to germany in 2011, we have our own work permits to work sp never bothered to register our indian marriage in Germany. Can i go today to local office and registet my marriage, would i face any issues or fines due to late registration please advice

Has anyone submitted an application recently to be on the German "Eheregister". How long is the waiting time? 

Hi everyone. Sorry for the huge message. My husband and I are having trouble changing his status from divorced to married at the Meldeamt. We have been together over 7 years, married over 5 years of that time. 8 months ago we had to move from the U.S. to Germany and settled in a very small town. We had some problems getting the Apostille for our marriage license because I hadn't had it done before coming to Germany. After we got the Apostille back a month ago and then got the translations done a couple weeks ago I finally got my residency card. My husband remembered that he was still registered as divorced. Last week we took the original marriage license with attached Apostille and the translations to the Meldeamt. The woman there (who is one of 3 employees) took the documents, looked over them a little, and proceeded to make her own copies. Then she said she'd read everything and change the status to married so to call and check in a few days. This past Monday we received a letter from this same woman at the Meldeamt which read unfortunately she couldn't change his status to married. She had listed the following reasons:

We have no Ehenamensbestimmung and must go to the Standesamt to get that done. We can go tomorrow and do that no problem.

Next however she said that the copies we "gave" her are not notarized copies. Which is odd because as I've said she made the copies herself on her copy machine and never said we had to have them made and notarized before she could take them. My husband also said they should have a notary there so she could have had the papers notarized herself or had us come by and pay for notary there.

Lastly she writes that our marriage license is only acceptable IF it has an Apostille attached which comes from... here she so helpfully wrote the name, address, and fee for getting an Apostille from the state in which we were married. Despite the fact we just got an Apostille around a month ago which was attached to our marriage license at this same government office and by this same person whom she listed as who we must contact for getting an Apostille! (So that then our documents are acceptable to her.) BTW, the person she lists as the one who must prepare our Apostille actually stamped and signed the Apostille that we actually have already and had submitted to her.

We already gave her the marriage license with attached Apostille and the required translations for marriage license and Apostille! But she can't do anything for us without the marriage license and attached Apostille?! What the hell? Has anyone else had such a weird problem? Please help!