Summer holidays in Sylt

27 posts in this topic

We are planning our summer holidays and have decided to spend a week in Sylt next July. We have 2 kids (5 &10). The big decisions we need to make are:

- going by plane and then rent bikes there/use the bus or take the car, although it is a bit of a drive from Munich (but we could stop on the way and make some more sightseeing). Is a car in Sylt actually needed?

- would like to rent an apartment with a bit of a garden/terrace. Which is the best village to stay? We are not Westerland types, I am very attracted by Keitum, but probably being closer to the beach is better than to the Wattenmeer? How about Kampen? I've read it is expensive, but the apartments don't seem more expensive than Keitum. But is it really only for the rich and famous?

Thank you very much, any suggestion/experience would be very useful!!!

We've been to Sylt twice and I would definitely say it's not necessary to have a car there. Like you, we also have two children (they were 6 and 8 when we went the first time) and it was no problem getting around by bike and bus; we took the train from Munich both times. We stayed in Westerland -- I know it's not the prettiest town on the island, but I like the hustle and bustle of the pedestrian area, and the wide range of restaurants there. That said, we spent some time in Rantum on our last visit in 2006 and when we go back again, I'd like to stay there. Kampen is lovely, though, and not just for schicki-micki types. Keitum is more traditional than Kampen (no Escada or Louis Vuitton shops), but I prefer the wild surf on the Nordsee side of the island, as opposed to the Watt side. Feel free to pm me if you'd like any other info.

I cannot understand why people would take their summer holiday on an island in the North Sea. I unfortunately have no advice for you, but I'd be interested to know what people could possibly find appealing about a cold sea, wind and likely bad weather?

PS. I'm not being sarcastic here. Lots of people go there, I'm really interested in knowing why.

I cannot understand why people would take their summer holiday on an island in the North Sea.

Me also. I live "up North" and know that we get a couple of weeks good weather each year - but you never know when these weeks fall & the rest is wet & windy. I'd go mad knowing that my precious Summer holiday is going to waste with duff weather.

My recommendation is fly to Menorca. If your kids are fluent in German I can recommend a good "Aparthotel" with lost of sports & activities (incl. football training for kids if so inclined) on Ibiza... PM me if interested.

We're going to Egypt in the summer. If you're concerned about the weather, there is simply no other place to go. The average amount of days of rain during summer on the red see is ZERO. But almost anything has got to beat the North Sea!

Well, we are not too much bothered about risking a bit of rain for a week because after that we are going to Italy for 3 weeks where my family is, and there it is definitely going to be boiling hot...too hot.

Why we are keen about seing Sylt? I've been ages ago to a small island more west, Wangerooge, and then another time in one of the dutch islands, and I fould it spectacular, especially Wangerooge: white sand, huge beaches, Strandkorben, big waves, bushes of hagenbutten everywhere, the weather generally very invigorating (wind, salty air,...), I don't know, I found it very fascinating...let's see, I hope I am not going to be disappointed...

I guess that the reason I am attracted by the North Sea is that, being italian myself, it is a totally different kind of sea and a different way of living the sea than the one I have been used to all my life...

As I'm the one who offered Arancina advice about Sylt, I'd like to chime in and say I echo her reasons for wanting to visit the island. It really is spectacular, even when the weather is not 30 degrees Celsius and sunny. I'm probably biased, though, since I'm from Nova Scotia, and the Sylt reminds me of my beloved province. I love the dunes and the wild surf, and imho, there's nothing better than relaxing in a beach sauna, looking out at the ocean, and then jumping into said ocean a few minutes later to cool off (we don't have those in Nova Scotia...). The sunsets are amazing, too. Anyway, I'm sure Egypt, Menorca, etc. are lovely, but that windy island in the North Sea has its charms as well.

post-6346-1202146435_thumb.jpg

I've been to Sylt three times (once when my children were young, another time when they were teenagers and once with my husband only) and we all liked it each time . Indeed I think it's one of the best places in Germany.

It offers you everything you liked about the little Ostfriesische Islands (like Wangerooge) but in case the weather is not suitable for the beach Sylt offers a pedestrian area with shops, cinema, a big aquarium and other amusements for children.

Of course the weather can be bad but it changes rather quickly there because of the wind. It isn't as hot as in Egypt or Mallorca but where in the South do you find huge empty beaches? If you take your car with you, you can go up to the beaches in the north. There is no restaurant, no toilet, no beach chair, but

no beach neighbour either.

In fact, I would go by car or train - it's quite an experience to go through the North Sea on rails (via Hindenburg-Damm).

I stayed in Westerland twice and in Wennigstedt once - both are okay. If you choose accommodation in the west of these places, you can walk to the beach amongst wild rose bushes and dunes.

Write to the tourist board. They'll send you a map of the villages on the island and you can choose a good place!

Hope, the weather will be fine.

December

I cannot understand why people would take their summer holiday on an island in the North Sea. I unfortunately have no advice for you, but I'd be interested to know what people could possibly find appealing about a cold sea, wind and likely bad weather?

I cannot agree more... what on earth are all those brits thinking... living there let alone vacationing there... cold sea, wind and likely bad weather? B)

It could rain the whole week...

Or be too windy to do anything. I went there one in late July for a party and the party ended up being cancelled due to weather conditions (aka too windy) on the beach. It is great for kite surfing along the northern part of the island and I watched a surfing contest that weekend as well. Due to the unpredictability of the weather, better start praying now to the weather gods!

What about going to Westerland by train? By car it might take 10 to 12 hours one way, especially on holiday time

rather more. By train you might also be 10 or more hours on the way, but much more relaxed.

A car is not really needed on the island, if you like to walk or go by bike. Keitum is lovely. Westerland is imho very expensive and a how it is called in german: schickimicki.

If it will be the right destination, depends on what you are interested in doing in your holidays and how long they are. For water sports, golf, bike riding, beach, aquarium and shopping it is okay. On Sylt appartments with a little bit of garden are really expensive. I do not know the prices from Keitum...

The North Sea also has lovely villages on the mainland, Husum, Büsum and St. Peterording e.g. There you can have all what you have on Sylt and more. E.g. Seehundstation Friedrichskoog, Sturmflutwelt Blanker Hans (at Büsum), Multimar Wattforum, tour to the Seehundbank in the wadden sea. Btw it might be (not only) a bit cheaper. But you would need a car.

Or the Baltic Sea. There the various possibilities are so different: museums, sports, beach life, theme parks, aquariums, shopping, city trips for a day, workshops, Piraten Open (at Grevesmühlen), Experimenta and Hochseilgarten (on Fehmarn), little zoos, Erlebnisbahn Ratzeburg (with an track motor car), Tolk-Schau (near Schleswig), Haitabu...And you also would need a car.

And yes, the possibility to have rainy holidays is not really little. But think about this: there is no bad weather, there are only false cloths. Schleswig-Holsteiners are not always seen with umbrellas and we do like our liquid sunshine *g*

yeh I'm on holiday for 3 weeks at the moment in Eutin 'up north' and kickin myself in the nuts for doing it again. Love the place, really do, but for 3 years in a row I've had rubbish weather in July. My inlaws keep saying it's never like this honest and I fall for it every time. Must be the Grandaughter that makes them say that. Next year I'm going hot and sod what the inlaws say. oh well, there's always the beer and Wurst...could be worse.

I know is post is a year too late but just my 2 cents worth.

My wife and I are old Sylt fans. My wife started to go there when she was a young woman and loves the place. She introduced me to the island back in the 70’s when I was stationed in Hamburg and I too fell in love the place. We usually stay in List where we rent an apartment for as many weeks as we can afford. We also usually use the beach near list on the Atlantic side as we are both into FKK.

I WOULD recommend a car simply because bus connections are not that frequent and at times the bike carriers on the buses are all being used. Sylt is a long island and I feel a car is a requirement.

Over the years we have found some great restaurants that we like to return to and I recommend to any first-timer to explore all of the island and find the places that suit your taste.

Yes, the water can be cold year around but it is a beautiful island a great place to really relax. Enjoy.

After bagging Sylt out on this thread last year, I actually ended going up there in May to meet a friend.

Anyway, long story short - turns out I was right and I would never plan a summer holiday there. The old thatched houses and the sea side atmosphere is nice, but the place doesn't compare to the Med, Egypt or any of the other typical summer destinations.

In addition, the place will cost you 5 times more than a usual summer holiday. Everything there is super expensive. Not worth it in my book.

@ Hutcho,

Well, to each his own. As I said, we've been going their for years and think it super. wouldn't want to live there but do enjoy the beach, restaurants and quiet evenings at the rented flat. we also meet friends there was well so that adds to the pleasure of the trip. Besides, its only an 1.5 hour drive from HH. As a family that has toured the world during our professional lives, Egypt and other 3rd world countries don't appeal... been there, done that. When you've lived in places like China, Burundi, Niger, and Cambodia, vacations in civilized countries are the best.

Another point is that we know Sylt and know what to expect. Trips to the unknown often turn out to be less than expected or hoped for. We went into eastern Germany a couple of years ago, and while not totally disappointed, it was certainly not what we expected for the cost. Nope, it's Sylt again this year for two weeks.

Take care and be good - KenY

Besides, its only an 1.5 hour drive from HH.

That's going some! We live out on the NW side of Hamburg & it takes 1.5 hours to get to Husum!

Actually we prefer Föhr to Sylt - not the Schiki-Mikki atmosphere & prices. Used to fly in a motorglider there, park the plane, hope over the fence & you were on the beach...

I've spent about 6 months of my life on Sylt. I do get it. It's a beautiful place, some of the best scenery in Germany, and has a fairly unique character as well.

That said, it's not the place to go to if you want a warm, summery, lie-on-the-beach type holiday. Completely wrong sea, in fact. You might be lucky and get a few hot days, but Sylt's beaches tend to be more the "walk on a windy coast" type. Or surfing-if-wind-is-more-important-to-you-than-sun type. More Victoria than Queensland, Hutcho. ;)

And Sylt in winter has a quiet, deserted charm which I imagine is similar to that of smaller channel islands, other than the couple of weeks around Xmas, or course.

I know a guy there who runs a bicycle renting service - PM me if you'd like more details.

I'm really glad someone started this thread. We're having a big household debate over where to go on vacation this August.

In previous years, we've been to Cape Cod, The Hamptons, Binz and the Costa Blanca in Spain. Spain's too hot. Binz was nice (for East Germany, where the oldest business in town was founded in 1993), but a haul. I'm homesick for New England/Maine-style beaches, but don't want to travel transcontinentaly for a few days at the beach. Our kids are pre-teens, and we would like to consider taking bikes, but perhaps renting would be better than lashing them onto the the car.

So what's the day-to-day like? How's the sailing and fishing? Are there decent grocery stores / fish markets for cook-at-home, lobster-shack style informal places to eat, or does everyone eat at chic restaurants every night? It Westerland a honky tonk? Is everyone an opthamologist from Bonn with a social x-ray orange wife in tow, a hearse-sized Mercedes and clothing that's all just the slightly wrong cut and color ... or are there windsurfer trustafarian types? Does one have to drive everywhere?

My German wife shares HEM's view that Sylt is too Schikki-Mikki, and that I'd probably go nuts and/or be arrested trying to build a beach bonfire for a clambake. She thinks the kids would be bored because of the floridian demographic.

And, if it's not Sylt, where would an active young-ish family be able to have some hassle-free domestic beach fun?