Recommended television shows

157 posts in this topic

I guess if you put it that way it's not that bad.. Though a single season is more like €25 I think.. Would like to get the first two to start..

So I got Season 1 of The Wire. About 30 minutes into the first episode, and I really think it sucks. VERY ghetto, and I'm not seeing anything to set it apart from predictable cop shows. Tiresome, really..

It's light-years better than any other cop shows. To compare it to all the other drivel out there is like comparing Beluga caviar to roll-mops from Lidl. Would you stop listening to Wagner before the end of the first five minutes? Give it a fucking chance.

And of course it's "ghetto". It's set in the fucking ghetto.

Why is it good? Because it's "gritty" and uses real people off the street, and shows how ugly life in the ghetto is? Didn't see much more than that..

I'll take the Wagner..

Maybe I'm just too white.. I honestly can't conceive of finding the motivation to push the play button to watch any more of that.. From what I've seen so far I really don't think it's worth the energy. I'll maybe give it one more concentrated chance, but I really was disappointed. Not only was it just bla bla ghetto life - depicting for its own sake, apparently, an area and people-types I couldn't care less about, but it even seemed melodramatic in doing so.

You have to look past the street/reality aspect and see what else is going on. There is much more to it than that. But it is not immediately apparent from the first few episodes. I'm "too white", have little time for or understanding of the ghetto culture that is explored (in the first season particularly), yet it is not necessary to do so. I don't relate to the Baltimore police force culture or to the port workers, or the judicial system. Doesn't matter.

What makes the Wire so good is its cohesiveness between the various walks of life affected by the drug trade and the authenticity in which each is portrayed, in terms of both the writing and the performances. You will start to care about these characters, regardless of whether or not you believe in the codes that they live their lives by.

You owe it to yourself to at least watch the first two seasons before passing judgement.

Gave up halfway through the third episode. Too ghetto, too melodramatic, annoying music.

I guess I'm an elitist then. Art in the gutter for me is ... still from the gutter. And I don't know, portraying the gutter as gutter is not enough.. Maybe The Wire is like a diamond in a turd. But I don't want to have to sift through the turd to get it.

I get the whole moral ambiguity thing - good cops, bad cops, good(-ish) gangstas, bad gangstas, mixes of both, etc.. A big bad moral malaise.. But it just didn't work for me. My wife fell asleep ten minutes into the first episode, and I fought til halfway through the turd..

The Wire is about the decline of an American city, and the futility of trying to fight "The System", whatever system that might be. It goes into the erosion of American industry, the decline of the inner city, the futility of political change vs. the inertia of an entrenched order, the schools, unions, newspapers and how they can become complicit in creating the news they report on. It's been hailed by many critics as the best show in the history of television, and you wanted to give up after 30 minutes?

It ties all of the above themes together beautifully and has such well-developed characters arcs that are only possible in TV and the time that it allows. It is not a "cop-ghetto show."

It was written by former policemen and reporters and with former and actual "ganstas" as consultants and has been complimented often on it's realism. I guess if you want a CSI-type cop show where everything, even the most complex cases, can be tidily wrapped up in less than an hour's time, using ridiculous leaps of logic and technology, The Wire is not for you.

As Perfect Poise said, your loss.

lol, I find the "annoying music" comment especially amusing, as there is no soundtrack. The only music is in the opening credit sequence and at the end credits. The rest is just ambient street noise and sounds of whatever the people happen to have on the radio or hear. You know, like reality. Too real, I guess.

To be fair, the first couple episodes of the wire are kinda slow, everyone I reccomend it to I give them the caveat to give it a few episodes, everyones hooked by 4 or 5.

Shockingly, the actress that played snoop was just arrested in a baltimore drug raid:

http://www.blackbookmag.com/article/the-wire-snoop-felicia-pearson-arrested-baltimore-dea-raid1/25171

To be fair, the first couple episodes of the wire are kinda slow, everyone I reccomend it to I give them the caveat to give it a few episodes, everyones hooked by 4 or 5.

Agreed. I found the first episode painfully boring to watch. Left it for months, tried again, was still bored by it, but had nothing else to view at the time, so I forced myself through it. Utterly hooked by ep 4 or 5.

That was ages ago though man. Currently, I am all about Sam Crow, and nothing else.

24 Is probably the best TV series I have ever seen and dare to say just pips The Wire in my opinion but it's close. Band of Brothers gets the bronze medal. Sorry 'House' is pooh probably because I cannot take Blackadders Hue Laurie with a false American accent seriously.The West Wing, well I just don't know how to get into this one how many do I have to watch before I do. As for films I have just watched The Road which is so grim it makes Hostel seem like a feel good movie.

I've almost finished season 3 of Sons of Anarchy, and I am gutted - because I do not know when season 4 is coming, and I am somewhat impatient. Great show.

So just watched my first ever episode of The Sopranos yesterday - season one, episode one. Liked it..

I suspect something Po-mo about The Wire.. Along the lines of those who would argue that some medieval peasant's shopping list is equally valid to the works of Shakespeare.. Because to rank Shakespeare, for ex., above other "works" is to continue to glorify white European men, and well.., we can't have that... It's for these culture-leveling reasons that Hemingway for ex. has been supplanted on college syllabi by Toni Morrison over the last several decades.. Not because her work is better, but for other more socially "sensitive" reasons..(My teacher started teaching English in a less-attractive part of town, and was aghast when her mentor told her to teach Tupac lyrics instead of what was on the syllabus to keep the students interested...) Don't want to offend anybody now.. You can't have one anything ranked higher than the other. So all values must be equal - the implication of which is of course that nothing has any value - i.e. nihilism. So far The Wire to seems just that - nihilistic. Here we are in a stupid, bad world and nothing is worth valuing. To value is to be an elitist, etc.. I happen to loathe The Simpsons for precisely the same reasons...

There are quite a few English progrmmes on German television at the moment.

Saturday: 3 SAT 18.00 Uhr English Gardens**

Monday: 20.15 Uhr ZDF Neo Inspector Barnaby**

Monday:ZDF NEO 22.00 Uhr Ripper Street**

Tuesday: 20.15 Uhr ZDF Neo Vera**

Wednesday: 13.30 Uhr Phoenix Guernsey

Wednesday: 13.10 Uhr Arte Große Erwartungen (Great Expectations) by Charles Dickens

Thursday: NDR 20.15 Uhr Schottlands Nordseeküste

Thursday: NDR 21.00 Uhr Englands Nordseeküste

Friday: 20.15 Uhr NDR Zu Gast in Irland

Friday;00.00 Uhr NDR Robbie Williams

** Weekly.