Best districts for a student to live in Berlin

24 posts in this topic

Hallo ihr alle :) I lived in Germany last year for a year as an Au pair in Karlsruhe... I came back to Vancouver in August to continue with Uni but want to head back to Germany again. My University has an exchange program with Humboldt University... So far I am just looking into the logistics of everything, nothing is confirmed but just trying to find out more info. So my questions are... where would be the best place for an international student to live in Berlin? I would want to have something fairly cheap (fit my student budget;)), in a central location, where there are some nice restaurants, cafes, clubs around... Somewhere that would be young and fun! Also, are there any students on here currently studying at Humboldt? I would be interested to know your impressions, advice etc.. Thanks for the help!!!

Krista

I've heard very good things about Humboldt (at least for my major - social science type). My current uni (Cdn) is also exchange partner with them. If I could speak German I'd definitely apply for a study abroad but :(

Aside from their academic reputation I don't know anything about the university really. Sorry, someone else here might be able to help you out better.

I'd say go for it, and that Friedrichshain would be a good neighbourhood to live in, somewhere close to the U5 or the S-Bahn line (good, direct transportation to Alexanderplatz which isn't far from the school). there are lots of cafes and bars, it's still fairly cheap and it's pretty funky.

I studied at HU. It depends very much on what you're studying - natural sciences are for example located in a total different area (and much newer buildings) than humanities. Anyhow, it's nearly regardless where you're living, you'll need about 20 minutes minimum to get to university. You'll find nice neighbourhoods for students in Friedrichshain, Prenzlauer Berg, Kreuzberg and Schöneberg. Keep in mind though, that these districts are as big as medium sized cities on their own and there are nice and not so nice areas...

Thanks for the replies guys! :) My major is International Studies... so also social sciences... My German isnt fluent but I can communicate... I hope it wont be a problem (my less than perfect knowledge of German)... but I am taking an advanced class right now and hopefully will take a class during the summer and take another one in September... I am also trying to find German people to speak with etc.. Now on my Uni's website it says the semester is from January-May but everywhere else I look says from April-July... can anyone clarify this for me? Also I heard sometimes there are special courses for international students... where they assume a less than perfect knowledge of German. For those living in Berlin would you suggest just getting an S Bahn pass?.. When I lived in Karlsruhe I used my bike almost every day as well...

Does it has something to do with this? http://www.go-inse.de/inse/index.php?lang=en

Humboldt University is obviously a partner of this special university network...

Anyhow, you'll normally get (and need) a public transport pass for the whole semester (which normally goes from april to july - but I don't know how it works in this special network) by paying your university fees.

To live, I would certainly suggest Friedrichshain but more preferably Prenzlberg. In P-berg, you'd find a very accessable location, close to other students, a very young population, accessable to HU and above all, very cheap accomidation. There's also many amenities in the area, especially (eg/zB) Schoenhauser Arkaden depending on where you are (Same with Friedrichshain).

On the website it says you can arrange to live in dorms.. but it would probably be better to arrange your own accommodation right?? Thanks for all your help:)

Also what are the average costs for something decent.. just clean, simple, including amennities.. For a student living in Berlin how much do you usually spend per month on rent, food.. I know it varies but can someone maybe give me an approximate estimate?

Thanks!

Krista

If you stay in a cheap shared flat and behave economically, I guess you are fine with about 500 Euro per month (including 200 euro rent, 100 for food, about 40 for university fees, and about 100 for going/drinking/eating/movie out once a week or so). But it depends totally on your lifestyle of course. I got along with 500 euros quite easily.

I spend about 1000 Euro per month and I'm incredibly decadent. Like i go out a lot and go shopping often and stuff like that. Just as a point of comparrison to what Toby said.

Thanks, also is it possible for me to get a job while I am there? Tutoring English or something? I was an Au pair in Germany before so perhaps babysitting.. I also do waitressing/bartending... is it hard to get ajob?

There are quite a few English tutoring, babysitting and bar jobs kicking around :) Especially if you can speak German, but for the tutoring and babysitting it's not necessary.

I'm studying in Berlin next year, in Charité. I'd like your opinion on best places to live! Not too expensive, near a central U-Bahn or S-Bahn, that sort of things.

Topics merged by admin

Hey Krista, I'm a 22 year old female from Toronto, in the same situation as you. I'll be going to Humboldt through my University on an exchange as well. We should talk lol. Last year I stayed in Lichtenberg, paid about 300 euros for a month through an apartment organized by the university but you can find it on this site:

http://www.easy-living4u.de/de/index.php

It was only about a 20min. ride to Alexanderplatz and maybe 25 to Unter den Linden. All in all wasn't too far from everything, but veryyy far from the airport! It was very nice, I had no problems coming home from partying @ night @ 4 a.m. All I have to say is the one thing I love about Berlin is the cheap RENT!!! Compared to Toronto, you'd be hard-pressed to find anything like a decent furnished apartment for less than $1000 CAD. I have a friend who's currently @ Humboldt, living in P-berg and she's only paying 170 euros...*envy* :angry: lol

I'm also a student at Humboldt University. And I do live in Mitte at Rosenthaler Platz. I really love it here. I take the Tram to university everyday and it takes about 15 minutes to go there. But I pay 400€ monthly.

I know that a lot of students (who don't have much money) live in Wedding, Tiergarten etc. http://www.immobilienscout24.de/de/finden/...B47133E.worker2 is a good page to find apartments at, but it's German.

At Humboldt they have a programm, where you can find a person to speak German with. Try this page:

http://evz.hu-berlin.de/int-en/wegweiser-e...ge=en&cl=en

"Language correspondence or partnerships, sometimes known as "language tandems", provides for students an excellent opportunity to meet German fellow-students and enable you to improve your knowledge of German. In return, the German students are interested in learning the language you speak."

Hey everyone! I know this thread was started up well over a year ago, but I was wondering if you could help me out. I am going to be a prespective student at Freie University Berlin, although have friends going to HU.

As I'm guessing most of you have stayed there or are currently there, I was wondering where the best places to live were? I went to see the Halls with FU Berlin and they are 2 stops from Potsdam (no joke!) and I've been told that the ones at HU aren't any better!

Do you know the key student areas, and how I could find people to live with? Also, how to meet other exchange/ERASMUS/SOCRATES students?

I went out to Berlin for a week to check everything out, but instead of answering questions, it has generated more, and has now caused me to stress out alot!

If you can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,

Fatima xx

What are you studying? The FU has nearly all institutes outside the city, in a district called Zehlendorf (the neighbourhood's named Dahlem). It's mainly a residential area for families. The HU has its institutes spread all over the city, with most of them in the inner city (apart from natural sciences except biology, which are in Adlershof, far outside, as Dahlem - just in the southeastern part instead of the southwestern part of Berlin). There are no real student areas in Berlin, they are just as spread out as the institutes are. Most of them, I guess, are living in Friedrichshain, followed by Kreuzberg. Meeting other Erasmus students is pretty easy though, just search some internet forums (couchsurfing, facebook, google), go to Erasmus parties and the like, or stay in student dorms.

Pretty near to the FU institutes is for example Wilmersdorf, which is a bit boring (but you're pretty fast in Kreuzberg from there), but a good compromise between the far away hip parts and the area of the FU institutes. If you don't mind commuting the large distance (let's say, one hour ride), check out Kreuzberg or Friedrichshain along the U1