Berlin public transport strike

179 posts in this topic

It was very nice to ride around on buses and the U-Bahn today as my parents are here visiting! Does anyone know if this was just a one-day show of good will or if we will be lucky enough to have these services going any more this week?

Looks like they're threatening to strike again from April 1, according to http://www.bvg.de/:

ver.di bestreikt wieder BVG

BVG beginnt Notfahrplan zu organisieren

Andreas Sturmowski, Vorsitzender des Vorstandes der BVG: „Da wir derzeit leider davon ausgehen müssen, dass die Gewerkschaft ver.di ihre Androhung wahrmacht, am morgigen Dienstag, den 1. April 2008 ab 0 Uhr den Streik gegen alle Betriebsbereiche, Werkstätten, Serviceeinrichtungen (Verkaufsstellen, Fundbüro, Abo-Service, Erstattungsbüro) und EBE-Kundenzentrum (Zahlstelle für Erhöhtes Beförderungsentgelt) und die Verwaltung der BVG fortzusetzen, werden wir jetzt damit beginnen erneut einen Notverkehr zu organisieren.

Good to know that after they took 'time out' to earn their overtime bonuses over the Easter holidays the good employees of BVG are now back at 'work'. Very public spirited of them :ph34r:

The S Bahn should be running.

Don't forget that especially the busses and the trams will have to be home in bed by midnight so all services will slowly grind to a halt before midnight. :(

oh no!!!oh please let the s-bahnen not strike!!! is it for sure that they don´t strike like last time?

okay...i called s-bahn now and they (s-bahn) will go for sure. the man at the phone said that it´s still not decided jet if they(bvg) strike or not and they (s-bahn)still waits for their proper sign of bvg...as so far it´s just in the media but not really decided. it will be like last time and bvg will provide busses. ( basicly that they don´t have to give they money back to te costumers). this strike will have no timelimit again and they probably still only want to finish this when verdi acts after their agreements.

it´s not so bad for me as i only take the s-bahn...but still> i think they really start to exaggerate now!

s-bahn will provide extra trains as well to be able to transtport all of the more customers. he said> it will be chaos again...

Well I found out the hard way early this morning at about 2:30ish that the BVG is striking. There isn't any info on it online yet, but it is out of service. At least you don't have to find out the hard way on a cold rainy night about an hour walking distance from home.

FFS only the trams are on strike, lucky I thought I would get off at my usual S Bahn stop to see if the U Bahn was running or I would have had to walk to work.

Yup it is only the trams on strike, according to the BVG website: they started the strike this morning at 3:00am without any warning.

Mit Betriebsbeginn um 3.00 Uhr morgens wurde der Straßenbahnverkehr eingestellt. Diese Streikmaßnahme erfolgte ohne Vorwarnung und ohne Informationen über Dauer und weitere Folgen. Über aktuelle Entwicklungen werden wir umgehend informieren. Wir bedauern diese Situation sehr. Ihre BVG

The sticking point of this dispute now seems to be the staff on the old contracts. Despite getting over 3000 Euros per month for a 36 hour working week with pretty much total job security, they still want 80% of the pay offer for the much lower paid employees on the new contract. Charming.

Berlin does not want to pay that and has said so quite bluntly.