Berlin public transport strike

179 posts in this topic

It happens - but usually there's a court ordered injunction after a matter of a day.

There most certainly is not. May I refer you to recent strikes at the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA) in Philadelphia, the Regional Transportation District (RTD) in Denver, and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) in Los Angeles, all of which went on for extended periods?

Welcome to Capitalism folks. Sorry, but have you looked at the US top executive CEOs v/s worker salaries?

The richest people get paid more and more and are the richest now than at any other time, while those in "middle income" are barely making inflation. I'm not saying it's right, but that's what's going on.

I am a firm advocate of taxing those at the top more - but it seems like that's not what governments today wish to do.

I just think that instead of going on strike and forcing those of us on the "middle income" just like they are to face the pain of having to pay more, they should be bitching to the government to change the tax structure to work for the low people instead of the high paid. After all, it's not the high paid CEO's that are feeling the penalty (they have cars, and can afford private doctors and so on...)

I agree with this except the last paragraph is hopelessly idealistic. Let's face it: it's the government that is actively imposing these measures. There's no doubt in my mind that the Bahn Tarifkonflikt would not be going on if Mehdorn were not on a warpath to privatization, and where is that push coming from? Oh, that's right. And conflicts in public transport? The government is trying to squeeze every penny and nothing will stop them until they have no other choice, sadly. And unfortunately the most powerful tool the unions have at their disposal is to strike, as that puts the pressure on the people which in turn puts pressure on the politicians--in theory, enough that they change course. I don't think it's a good thing but I don't see the alternative. How else should they "bitch" to the government that would be effective?

I'm not happy about it either and I don't necessarily support it either but I don't see the alternative that you seem to be suggesting.

But then, I'm American - and in the US, garbage workers can go on strike - but police, fire department, ambulence service, (and in major cities where most people don't have cars - subway, bus etc. ) Cannot.

There most certainly has been and still is to an exist in German law this status.

It is called "Beamte".l

You are legally banned from striking, the employee association is legally not even a union.

But the pay off is lower welfare contributions from employees and a "a job for life".

Over the last few years there has been a move against this system from the political right and propoents of neo-liberal policies.

Even the term "Beamte" is a boo-word on here.

So people providing these services are these days, often "just" employees.

And thus with a constitutional right to withdraw their labour.

Will I have to walk to work next week? Maybe.

It's a price worth paying.

Good services. Good staff. Good wages.

If the S bahn decides to go on strike do we know how long that will last?

Deutsche Bahn is going to publish a temporary schedule tomorrow that they will use in the event of GDL strikes.

The GDL has not announced a timeframe for the length of strike, calling it 'unlimited'.

Was anyone at Ostkruz station yesterday?? There were police holding back crowds of people on the platform, i nearly sufficated on the train... that's public endangerment enough for me!

I live in Rudow, and need to get to the Hbf by 6am on Tuesday, and Tegel airport by 9am next Thursday. It's okay at the moment with just BVG on strike, but if DB and the S-Bahn join in, I've got no hope of making either of them without a taxi (€€€!!!) I'm working on borrowing a bike... it's taking its sweet time though. Does anyone know of a Berlin local equivalent of the Mitfahrzentrale? Or anyone who might be travelling either of those routes at those times, who might be able to help me out?

Was anyone at Ostkruz station yesterday?? There were police holding back crowds of people on the platform, i nearly sufficated on the train... that's public endangerment enough for me!

It was the same at Friedrichstrasse, I waited for 5minutes, then decided to take the tram, only to get outside and realise the whole reason for the delay was that there are no buses/trams/u-bahns running d'oh!

Quick question:

What do you guys think of this : BVG is striking. All of us fully capable of hiking our bones to a train station, we can afford a cab, or we have a bike. This strike as inconvenient as it is for all us, we are only thinking of ourselves. How do you think this effects elderly people and people with handicaps who cannot clearly manage a long walk, or a bike ride, or afford a cab - in this weather ? Do you think the trade union who organized this strike should be found negligent if any deaths or injuries are caused by their strike, i.e, old lady dies of hypothermia because she was waiting for a bus that never came , or handicap person attempts to get to a platform that does not have access for handicap because it is the closest one etc...

Good call!

I ride a bike and I rarely go anywhere outside of walking distance anyway unless I feel like it, but I speak for a lot of other people (friends that are students at F-U that have that business campus that is way the hell out there, elderly that have trouble getting around) and will say that this SUCKS.

These strikes will bite the union and the transport companies in their own asses. People who used to be loyal customers of the public transportation will take notice of this and will use their services less, by switching to bicycle or car. The result is their own loss of income. Remember the 1988 WGA strike that went on for 22 weeks? After that, TV lost many of its audience members, and never got them back.

australis- mitfahrzentrale is for all of Germany. For your 9am flight I suggest Sleepinginairports.com so that you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn when not even sure if you can get all the way to the airport hassle free.

These strikes will bite the union and the transport companies in their own asses. People who used to be loyal customers of the public transportation will take notice of this and will use their services less,

This might apply short term locally where there is a choice.

But not for a general unicersal monopoly good like public transport.

These transport "companies" are controlled by local politicians.

I'll support the people I know who drive the trams, rather than the likes of "Wowi" who can husch-husch around as trendy,

but is out to attack the living standard of the workers who provide you with services.

When I'm unhappy with how much I'm being paid I leave the company and get a new job with better pay. What's so difficult about this concept?

These are unskilled workers doing basic work, at what point should they be earning lotsa money?

Get an education, get some skills, earn good money - the concept is simple!

These are unskilled workers doing basic work, at what point should they be earning lotsa money?

Striking public sector workers re not asking for "lots" of money.

They are asking for a wage that is decent and enough to live on.

Obviously their work is valuable for society or their striking wouldn't make a difference.

If a tax accountant that advises the ruling class on how to rob YOU by transferring their money to Liechtenstein went on strike, it wouldn't matter to society.

A tram driver, a kindergarten worker, a hospital cleaner DO make a difference to our lives.

Good people. Good services. Good wages.

If a tax accountant that advises the ruling class on how to rob YOU by transferring their money to Liechtenstein went on strike, it wouldn't matter to society.

I disagree! It might actually be a net gain to society. ;)