Where to buy home pregnancy tests in Hannover

8 posts in this topic

Hello all,

We shifted to Hannover in November 2007. I am looking for shops where I can find reasonably priced Home Preg tests (HPT). Also, wanted to know more about the medical services, especially the Gynecology dept in MHH. Are there any English speaking doctors there? Unfortunately, our German is quite basic... Are there any other hospitals here that we can look at during the pregnancy and the delivery phases?

Thanks

Home pregnancy tests all runa about the same price...and you can compare them easily at any drugstore. When I actually needed one a couple of years ago, they all ran about 8 to 11 euros.

You'll probably find pregnancy tests cheapest at online pharmacies, or otherwise at easyApotheke at Kaufland (by the central bus station just off of Raschplatz). For online pharmacies I'd recommend http://www.medpex.de/.

As far as prenatal care, usually you get that at a gynecological practice, not at the hospital. The MHH generally does have a lot of English-speaking docs, though, since many studied in the States. Otherwise the Henriettenstiftung in Kirchrode has a contract with the British military for care, so they'd obviously have English-speaking staff. If you PM me I can also give you the name of a gynecologist in Misburg who speaks English and does prenatal.

Cheers,

Fairfax71

Actually, I found the store DM to be the best! I've seen these stores all over Germany so it shouldnt' be hard to find one. Forget pharmacies. DM sold the Clearblue + and - ones and the digi's plus a huge variety and really weren't too expensive. In fact, they are the only store I found the digital ones that say "pregnant" or "not pregnant". Oh in German, it's "Schwanger" and "Nicht Schwanger" - I may have got the spelling slightly wrong! You can't buy those in a pharmacy either - very strange!

HTH

Aly

Hello all,

We shifted to Hannover in November 2007. I am looking for shops where I can find reasonably priced Home Preg tests (HPT). Also, wanted to know more about the medical services, especially the Gynecology dept in MHH. Are there any English speaking doctors there? Unfortunately, our German is quite basic... Are there any other hospitals here that we can look at during the pregnancy and the delivery phases?

Thanks

Hello there,

Am new to this site so hope am not completely messing up this thread. I gave birth to my son in Feb in the Vinzenzkrankenhaus in Kirchrode. Every single doctor who dealt with me spoke english to a very high level. The hospital itself is extremely clean and the clinic is excellent - nurses and docs. all friendly and prof and has v. good reputation. They have info evening every month and its worth going to visit the ward.

howdy! actually any chain store like dm, rossmann or schlecker has these pregnancy kits; my giril-friend recommends schlecker. Schlecker may not be so common in Hannover as rossmann is, but are easy to find. Their sign is blue colored. Regarding pregnancy wards, Gehrden which is next to Hannover is highly recommended, however I am not sure how high the English proficiency level of the nurses is ( a lot of nurse nowadays come from the former USSR!)

Thanks for the info! I had bought my preg test kit from DM. I found them reasonably priced. We have a Schlecker nearby - but somehow we completely forgot about it!!! :blink:

Thanks for the info about the hospitals here - Now we are trying to choose between Vinzenzkrankenhaus and MHH. Both are close to where we live... hmmm... :)

With healthcare coverage being as fab as it is over here, why not just get a super duper definitive answer from the doctor? If you'd prefer to buy a home pregnancy test, then you can find them at any pharmacy or like the others have mentioned DM Markt, Schlecker, Müller, etc.