Smoking ban in Berlin

224 posts in this topic

i lived in berlin. there was total disreguard for non smoking signs in hospital waiting rooms...yes, people actually smoked in hospitals, and for the underground. imo no matter how many non smoking laws there are or signs posted germans will never inforce or adhere to non smoking laws. i have a bet with my husband on this...i'm already thinking about what i'll buy with the money i will win...

Niagra Falls is amazing, as is the grand canyon. People doing something they have been able to do for decades and decades before complete lunacy took over is hardly amazing.

settle down tattie muncher.

Settle down? Haha. Look. The ban was introduced here a number of years ago and everybody respected it. They went outside and puffed away like they always did. Ban is brought in here and I'm still coming home smelling awful and with a good few minutes taken off my life.

Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't really care, should I.

Niagra Falls is amazing, as is the grand canyon. People doing something they have been able to do for decades and decades before complete lunacy took over is hardly amazing.

settle down tattie muncher.

Hey, I can respect people's personal choices, and it's not like you're not allowed to smoke outside or in your own home. But smoking in public places affects peoples personal choice NOT to smoke. See, you still get to smoke, and we still get to enjoy a cocktail and not breathe in crap. It's my RIGHT to breathe. It's hardly lunacy. It makes perfect sense if your addiction didn't make you a selfish asshole.

When the smell of smoke clears you antis and rest of us will be left with the whiff of feet and puke. Smokerz4life lolz

slighty off topic, I was back in Germany just before the ban and you couldn't walk through the lobby of the hotel without gaging on the smoke, had a bunch of old farts doing a bus tour so they all stood in the lobby smoked and drank coffee before leaving. Same at the Olympia Mall the coffee shop near Eddie Bauer, had great coffee and kuchen but the sheer number of smokers simply ruined the experience. Was back again after the ban and it took a moment to hit that people were popping outside for a quick puff, than I realized what was missing, no smoke. Was wonderful. Smoking is banned in all restaurants over a 100 mtrs in Spain but since most are smaller than that its pretty meaningless, but I don't notice because I tend to eat lunch well before the Spanish do (usually around 12.30 to 1) so the place is usually empty.

When the smell of smoke clears you antis and rest of us will be left with the whiff of feet and puke. Smokerz4life lolz

Funny cuz in my city at home it's totally fine and smoking has been banned for like 10 years.

Have fun with lung cancer.

But smoking in public places affects peoples personal choice NOT to smoke. See, you still get to smoke, and we still get to enjoy a cocktail and not breathe in crap. It's my RIGHT to breathe.

You have the personal choice to not smoke - right. So how about you just dont go out and stay at home? you would be doing us all a favour. thanks.

Have fun with lung cancer.

Have fun being a dull nae pals nae fun bam all your life.

Now away and hug a tree or something.

You have the personal choice to not smoke - right. So how about you just dont go out and stay at home? you would be doing us all a favour. thanks.

Have fun being a dull nae pals nae fun bam all your life.

Now away and hug a tree or something.

Smoking is a choice not a right. Breathing is a right. I should be able to go out in public and breathe thanks. You just can't see that because people addicted to stuff are selfish.

I lived in Berlin for 4 years and I hated the fact that I came home, had to shower and hang my clothes outside the window to get rid of the smoke smell.

I accepted it as it was ok for people to smoke in bars. Soon this will change and all non-smokers had to accept the smokers will now have to accpet the ban.

Perhaps some will choose not to go out?

However, anyone that stays at home, avoids bars etc just because they cannot smoke there are the people who realy need to stop.

I go to bars to meet friends not to drink alcohol. The day my friends suggested we go to a place that does not serve alcohol and I think 'hmm, not happy about that as I cannt have a beer' it would be timefor me to also start to think if I am developinig a dependency on it and should think about giving up.

@Schotte, thanks for the Rab C type line, Its ages since I wathed that show, I think I'll dig it out and watch the girlfriend get a headache trying to read the subtitles :-)

However hinting that not smoking will leave you perceived as a dull person with no friends, sounds like an advert from a tabaco company. Perhaps its time they banned the advertising of it as well.

I'm with Shane-o. Without smoke, bars just smell like feet and puke. I have friends who are non-smokers and they say the same and have gone so far as to prefer a smoky bar.

I can't actually imagine the German culture without smoking. Just like I can't imagine it without sausages and bread, and old dudes with super-deep, mumbly voices.

BUT, as a smoker, it's not the worst thing in the world. You do end up smoking less in an evening, you just don't get to treat life's simple pleasures (a beer / coffee with a cigarette in hand) as a luxury anymore. Now you get to feel like a sad hurtbag who always has to go outside.

thankfully the ban is not yet seriously being enforced. only in Mitte or schicki places in my experience. Not in Kreuzberg. Can you imagine those turkish cafes with the white neon lighting, nicotine stained walls, and the old dudes playing cards not being allowed to smoke? I have no idea how that's gonna unfold.

I lived in Berlin for 4 years and I hated the fact that I came home, had to shower and hang my clothes outside the window to get rid of the smoke smell.

I accepted it as it was ok for people to smoke in bars. Soon this will change and all non-smokers had to accept the smokers will now have to accpet the ban.

Perhaps some will choose not to go out?

However, anyone that stays at home, avoids bars etc just because they cannot smoke there are the people who realy need to stop.

I go to bars to meet friends not to drink alcohol. The day my friends suggested we go to a place that does not serve alcohol and I think 'hmm, not happy about that as I cannt have a beer' it would be timefor me to also start to think if I am developinig a dependency on it and should think about giving up.

@Schotte, thanks for the Rab C type line, Its ages since I wathed that show, I think I'll dig it out and watch the girlfriend get a headache trying to read the subtitles :-)

However hinting that not smoking will leave you perceived as a dull person with no friends, sounds like an advert from a tabaco company. Perhaps its time they banned the advertising of it as well.

Exactly. Great points.

Smoking is a choice not a right. Breathing is a right. I should be able to go out in public and breathe thanks. You just can't see that because people addicted to stuff are selfish.

People addicted to stuff are selfish???

That is a very ill-informed statement Venus! Infact, I think its rather insulting.

Us smokers know that the ban is going to happen and will be inforced, so quit whinging about it, and let us have our last few cancer sticks in peace.

I'm sorry I guess I feel really strongly about it because I grew up with asthma and my dad still smoked in the house and it made it worse.

And I didn't mean selfish in general, I meant selfish regarding their addiction. I admit it I'm a huge bitch before I've had my coffee in the morning and I don't consider that fair to other people either if I'm snarky at them cuz I have the caffeine jitters. But I'm not apologizing for my feelings on smoking in indoor, public places.

I totally agree with Venus in Furs on this one. I have asthma and am pregnant, and therefore can't go out in germany other than to Starbucks and a few other cafe's. My pregnancy has strengthened my aversion to cigarette smoke by 100.

And yes, I do think that smokers are selfish, I used to be a selfish smoker myself.

I appreciate that people have an addiction, and I would tolerate a little bit of smoke, but it never is just a little bit because when many smokers drink, they literally smoke one after the other, which is totally unnecessary, and selfish!!! All they need is one an hour or so and the bars wouldnt be nearly as bad.

Oh and by the way, I've been sitting in restaurants, looking obviously pregnant, and people have come in and sat next to me and lit up. Restaurants in Cologne don't even have a non smoking section.

Bring on the ban!!!

I think it's awful too when people smoke around kids, ESPECIALLY their own kids.

For the record, I don't care if people smoke. It's your choice. But I think my choice -not- to smoke should also be respected, and in public places indoors the only way to avoid second hand smoke is to have no smoking at all. I don't mind smoking on the patio. I don't even mind if I'm on the patio or even a well ventalated place and people are smoking around me. And I don't think -all- smokers are assholes or anything like that either. I've known lots of people who are cool with going outside to smoke. I'll even go outside with smoker friends while they smoke cuz it's outside and I don't have to really breathe it, and sometimes it's nice to get some fresh air. I don't see what's so bad about it.

well, i was going to a bar with some friends in Munich on Saturday. When I opened the door I was hit by a wall of smoke. Needless to say I turned around and headed elsewhere. No need to support bars that allow smoking when plenty don't.

As a person with no physical addictions it is hard to understand smoking. And I think it is like that for anyone who has never smoked. Smoking for non-smokers seems illogical and strange. Why would anyone willingly take a dangerous cocktail of chemicals into their bodies on a regular basis? How can a simple dried plant wrapped in paper take precedence over your health, your children's health and the health of those around you? How can smelly clothing, hair, breath and skin be good. What is so good about brown rotting teeth? How can the costs be justified?

A non-smoker will never be able to understand these things and the ongoing debate between the two will never be solved as will the debate concerning smoking bans. I imagine that a cigarette must be the single most amazing thing a person can take regular pleasure in and I also imagine it takes more personal strength to quit than most smokers have. It is too bad they are so incredibly disgusting to us non-smokers otherwise we would be fine.