World of Music (WoM) closes all its stores

33 posts in this topic

yeah, it closed about a month ago I think...sure they said something about it going over to the web, but I've googled it and can't find anything.

Now you mention it, i've never seen any other music stores in town (however I am often in my own little world, so not surprising) do they not have Virgin Megastore or sth like that here?

buy them at Müller, they are cheaper, or at Saturn Hansa, or at Amazon

I was shocked that they had gone, but they were a bit overpriced, so I doubt they'll be missed that much

i never went to WOM unless I wanted to get some rare or rarely distributed music or to choose from a large international selection. as a result, i ended up paying out the a*s for a CD from WOM. terribly expensive. but yeah, i noticed they were gone too. very sneaky departure.

and like mentioned, there are other alternatives like saturn or media markt, or yeah, via amazon.

Yeah, saturn's usually a good bet.

Plus they've reorganised the shop near karlsplatz and have now got about 100 million DVDs downstairs..

Media Markt is also pretty good.

WOM was for out of town kiddies who came in to Munich from Erding on a Saturday on their dad's spare tractor. No one from Munich ever really shoppped there.

I'm quite surprised that nobody else has mentioned Müller - it's the cheapest place for CDs. They don't have as large a range as Saturn, but they have better prices for what they have.

Agree also with tench regarding Saturn at Karlsplatz - the whole of downstairs is now devoted to CD's and DVD's, looks like they will have a huge selection. I was in there last week and half of the shelves were still empty, but I guess they've filled them up by now.

Müller would be cheap if I didn't suffer from the magnetic pull of the cosmetics/cleaning products/shampoo/random Drogerie items on the way to it. :(

Saturn Theresienhöhe is good though but I am generally lazy and use Amazon mostly (got that Depeche Mode remix album on pre-order, well, it is frankly just Basildon-tastic ha ha).

Katrina

Hey... Not everybody who lives in Erding Has Tractors...

In fact there arn't that many left.. Most of the ones you do see only went to erding

because of the Grain Storage House (now Gone)..

As for where to get CD's...

You've got

2+ saturns

2+ Media Markts

Ebay

Amazon

And tons of others... Take your pick

So who's going to sell the 0.25c copies of 'Candle in the wind' by Elton John now? :(

WOM took a dive in summer and went broke. They were badly affected by the insolvency of EFA - one of the largest German Indie music production companies, and lost support of their parent company, Karstadt-Quelle, who since announced major cutbacks themselves...

YL6

0.25c copies of 'Candle in the wind' by Elton John now?

Funny you should mention that. Fret not 3Lions!! I saw a display for them in the new downstairs dept in saturn.. Maybe they bought their stock from WOM? :D

Don't use Amazon! They're so over-priced what with the P&P on top of the prices... use www.play.com . The CDs are cheaper, and there is no P&P delivery charge to Germany. Takes ca 3-4 days to deliver, but can take longer sometimes. They do DVDs and comp games too.

WOM was for out of town kiddies who came in to Munich from Erding on a Saturday on their dad's spare tractor. No one from Munich ever really shoppped there.

:rolleyes: So what are you saying everone who lives in Erding are farm hicks? I actually used to go to WOM when I came up to Munich from Bad Aibling as well.

I'm quite surprised that nobody else has mentioned Müller...

Where is Müller? Although after proving I'm useless at resisting temptation at Saturn I should probably avoid it ;)

Müller is on Tal. (Think "Tal- strasse" if that helps, but there is no 'strasse' part.) Tal is just east of Marienplatz and past the McDonalds/Burger King and on the north side of the street.

Edit. Topsy beat me.