Tips for passing a practical driving test

171 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, pmd said:

I think a new instructor is key. At this stage, you should know the mistakes you keep doing. With me, my instructor was extremely abrupt and had a short fuse. I just couldn't relax and began to dread lessons with him.

Changed school, younger more relaxed instructor and everything just clicked into place. You'll get it!

Yes! I have the same problem with my instructor. Hmmm...maybe switching instructors is the thing. So that begs the question...Can anyone recommend a good driving school in English, preferrebly in the east. But not this one, which is where I’m at now : http://www.fahrschule-berlin-prenzlauer-berg.de/german%20driving%20license%20home.html

Hi, just wanted to share my experience. My first instructor was strict, stern and impatient. He was fully booked at one point in time so I asked my school if I could go with another instructor. They agreed. Things got so much better! If your instructor is making you feel lousy about yourself or not confident in driving well, then do something about it. If you can't find another school that teaches in English, perhaps you can try classes with another instructor from your current school. Don't give up and good luck :)

Hi, this thread really helped me with my test today and I passed in the first try! over the moon, but I just wanted to share my 2 cents on the topic.

the places where I felt that the instructor sitting in front was getting ready to slam the brake were,

- the Zebra crossing, stop and wait even if the pedestrian is on the other side of the road. be patient and wait, because the examiner looks if the person reached our side and the tail of our car is just leaving the crossing and thats a fail. Stop before the zebra path, Please.

- Driving past the bus, when the hazard lights of the bus are switched on, you have to cross the bus at max 10 km/hr. This applies even if you are on the other side of the road. I could see my instructor was ready to slam the break if I dint take notice of the hazard lights switch on.

- Drive at 10 km/hr in parking lots, may it be any. it maybe your TÜV parking or the place where you are asked to parking exercise to be done.

- For 45 mins please do extreme head movements to show your mirror and shoulder checks.

- When going left at your signal, and your signal doesn't have an arrow on it, always wait for the the opposite side to take their right and check for pedestrians and cyclists and move ahead. show that you are cautious.

All the best for the test and this thread is extremely useful.

@lonedev I do speak German but I mentioned to the examiner that I amn't good at it, to which my instructor was shocked. I told so because I wasn't sure if I have German in my reflex yet. So the examiner told me it's okay and mentioned he'll be using so and so words as command and if I have any doubt just say so, and he would gladly repeat it.

Hello all, 

This forum helped me for my driving license test. Although it took some time to decide to write here. i wanted to help out in any way i can. So i will pen down my experience and i hope it will be helpful since i know a lot of People read this forum. Thanks a lot to those who contributed here. The choice of driving instructor also matters a lot. My instructor was Vasili at der blitz. I am very thankful to him as without a good driving instructor, any tips you get online donot work ! The tips i have listed here are just a few things which i learned from him.

Profile: Indian expat. 8+ years of driving experience in India, 

Time taken to obtain the driving license: 3 months 

I have always heard that getting a driving license in Germany or in most of Europe is very difficult while my friends in america used to talk about how they went to the dmv on a particular day with their Indian license and got their american driving license by afternoon/ before the end of day by spending just around $10. The German driving license can easily cost above €1000 even if you have prior driving experience and the majority of the People (including people with and without prior driving experience) spend between €2000 and €3000 on the license. It is not uncommon to find people who have spent much more than this. The cheapest i have heard is around €800.  Many of my acquaintances had spent a lot of months, a lot of money and still have not got the license. I used to wish that i could somehow go to america, get the license there and change it while back in Germany. Everything in the us seemed to be easy. However in reality this was not possible as you need to be a resident in the US Taking a license in other european countries was also ruled out. Meanwhile, i met a guy who got the german driving license on his first attempt during his student life. People used to talk about that in awe but none of us had the courage to jump into that ocean because we were not ready to spend, what we felt like thousands of euros if we donot succeed ! However it was only later that i got a friend who was as interested in driving as myself. He wanted to take a car and drive on the Autobahn. Sounds good and we were ready to take the risk because we love Germany and the autobahns.

Registration at the driving School

Important tip: The most important factor is your choice of the driving School/instructor. A Registration at a driving School is mandatory in Germany.

A driving school with english speaking instructors was selected based on online reviews. To tell the truth, we just went to a driving school nearby after reading online Reviews-both positive and negative. However you need to talk to many People before you make this decision. Especially important if you like us donot have a lot of money to spend. 

My friend and i can both speak/read/understand quite a bit of German. However taking the theory exam in German was ruled out - this was a good decision because we had ruled out the possibility to take the driving test a second time in case we fail as we did not have enough money. We also decided to do the umschreiben - exchanging the Indian license. This means that we donot have to attend the theory classes which inturn means that we save around 400 euros on the theory lessons. The driving School also deducted my base fees by about 50%. My friend in the meantime had to transfer to another city. 

After registering at the driving School, i was provided with a learning app on the mobile which costs 50 euros ! Thinking this is not an effective way to study, I translated an entire bunch of German slides i found online so that i can study how i am used to. I even bought a used theory question book !  However as i later found out, the app is enough for the theory exam. The driving School asked me to get the first aid Course and the eye test done following which i could submit these documents along with the translation of my Indian driving license at the driving license authority. 

Registering at the driving license authority

The translation of my Indian driving license was done at ADAC for around 45 euros. I got the translation by post within 3 days.

I had already done the first aid course just a year back (some local organisations offer such Courses for free at some Points of time. I did it at khg. Remember that the certificate should not be too old  and if you already have not done a course, you can register for one. It costs around 30-40 euros including the eye test).

So since i had already a certificate of completion for the first aid Course (without the eye test), I directly approached an optical shop for the eye test however i failed the eye test ! This was supposed to cost only around 6 euros ! I was then advised to go to an optician after making an appointment. The optician did a comprehensive eye test and charged me around 80 euros ! However i felt that this was one of my last chances for a german license and so there i was with a paper saying i had passed the final hurdle - eye test. 

Now i had all the documents i needed and since the registration at a driving School was complete, I went to the driving license authority at the Rathaus where i submitted my Indian driving license, paid the 42 euro fees along with all other documents. Mention clearly that you need to take the test in English as well as the name of your driving school. Once you get the driving license in your Hands - you will notice that the start date of your license is the day you registered at the driving license authority. 

Theory exam

Once i registered at the driving license authority, i went back to the driving school and they said that it will take upto 3 weeks for the Registration to reflect in their System. I went after two weeks and luckily my name had appeared in the system and they in turn registered me online for the theory exam. The test date was more than 1 month away because baring a free slot in 2 days, there were no free Slots for the entire month. I was frustrated because i wanted to get this process over with asap but i was not prepared. 

However you need the time to study ! The app has more than 1000 questions. I could barely manage to finish all the questions atleast once. It is recommended that you practise the questions multiple times ! I had already planned a trip the week before and i would be returning only on the morning of the exam. I As most friends pointed out, this was a bad idea. In my hurry to get the exam done soon, i was risking my chances. It was already 1.5 months since my first Registration when i would take the theory exam. If you plan this properly/study in advance, you can save this time. I failed the practise test which i did in the app. I wanted to mention this to indicate that you can still pass. Even on the day of the exam and with hard work, the app showed only around 60% complete. So my confidence was not really high as i was just returning from a euro-trip. However i am sure i did all the questions atleast once. I had not done many practice Tests - that was why it was not 100% completed. It is recommended to have enough time to do so.

I reached the test venue (TUV) 30 minutes earlier and found out that a Queue was already forming. I had to pay around 22 euros at the TUV.  The classroom was full and i was assigned a seat. Everyone had tablets in front of them in which we will be taking the exam in your preferred language. The test will only start once everyone is in. If you have practised in the app well, the exam is easy. However if you have done all the questions just once or so, it is easy to feel confused as all the options will look similar. There are about 30 questions and there is no time limit. i got 2 answers wrong. I had guessed the right answers but because of my lack of practice, was confused with the options. I later found out that i was lucky. One more wrong answer (depends on the Points) would have lead to failure in the theory exam. Breathed a sigh of relief when i saw that i have passed. The invigilator printed out the sheet which said that i passed. 

I went back to the driving School on the same day with the sheet and they said they will arrange an instructor soon. I had to wait almost a week to get an instructor assigned. It is recommended to start practising for the practical exam even before you write the theory exam. Some schools however insist that you need to pass the theory exam before you start the practical classes. 

Practical exam

As i later found out, i got lucky - got one of the best instructors in the city assigned. The choice of the driving instructor is very important and i know some people who changed the School / instructor. We decided to take 2 sessions per day. 1 session = 45 minutes. So every day we will drive 1.5 hours. I will not go into the details but i will give some tips which i found useful. The instructor will only allow you to write the exam if he is satisfied.

By the way you have to pay 92 euros at the TUV just before the exam.This is in Addition to the fees paid at the School for the exam. If you fail, you have to give the 92 euros again before the next as well and also take a few more classes which again costs Money. The total cost if you fail will come to around €400-500. The exam lasts 30-45 minutes including driving in the City, countryside, autobahn, reverse parallel parking, U turn and emergency brake.

• Always drive on the priority road during an exam even if the examiner does not mention this explicitly. The priority sign on my exam route was partly hidden by thick foliage. Luckily i had been through that route before. 
  •  Indicate when there is oncoming traffic on a curve.
  • While entering the Autobahn, make sure to Speed up in advance and indicate to the left. Look over the shoulders !
  • Indicate your Exit while on an Autobahn at the 300m sign.
  • Brake in advance before the curve and ensure that your Speed is around 50 while taking the Exit.
  • Always use 2nd gear in the 30 Zone and to negotiate a curve in the City or at a traffic light, 3rd gear in the 50 Zone or to negotiate a curve for example on the Exit of the Autobahn.
  • Inside mirror - Outside mirror - Indicator - Look over your shoulders . This should be your Regime before a lane Change or at an intersection. Always do the schulterblick. Make an effort to do so. You will fail if you donot. 
  • Memorize the traffic signs - there are about 400 in total. Keep your eyes open for all the traffic signs.
  • Give priority to pedestrians and cyclists. 
  • Always stop at the stop sign for 3 seconds. Stop once at the stop sign - Count to 3 seconds. This is for the cyclists. Stop again at the White line for 3 seconds. This is for the cars. Only proceed when you are sure that the road is free of traffic. You Need to do this if there is a give priority sign for example at an intersection when you cannot see the oncoming traffic.
  • The yellow line takes priority over White lines at construction sites. You are expected to align yourself. You also have to drive at 30 at construction sites in the city. Once you are past the construction site, you are allowed to go with the normal Speed which is 50 even if not specified by a sign.
  • You should upshift whenever possible. Not changing gears will also lead to failure. For example if you entered the Autobahn at around 50 kmph on 3rd gear, you are allowed to upshift directly to 5th gear or 6th gear when reaching 80. Some parts of the Autobahn i drove had the Speed mentioned as 80 and i always tried to drive on the 6th gear. Donot drive too slow. If it is specified as 50, try to drive at over 40 kph.
  • I watched a lot of exam videos online. My instructor has also recorded Videos with me and uploaded it in his YouTube Profile. You can also watch them.
  • At a traffic Signal if you are turning and if the green signal has an arrow on it, it means everyone else (including cyclists,pedestrians etc) has a red light and you are allowed to turn at a good speed. If there is no arrow and if the Signal is green do wait at the middle of the road for any oncoming cars which are turning left. you also have to check for pedestrians and cyclists in this second case. 
  • If you are for example trying to take left and if there are two lanes going left, always take the second lane.
  • Make sure you turn on the indicator before you come to a stop parallel to a car for reverse parking. 
  • After you perform the emergency brake, keep your Hands on the steering. Look in the inside mirror-outside mirror -indicate - look over the shoulder and only move once the instructor says so. You really have to press the brake with a single strong push.
  • Your Hands on the steering should always be stable. Perhaps it is our experience in our home country because of which i have the tendency to steer in the opposite direction if i see that a car is approaching my road from the right or left at a high Speed even if i am on the priority road. In the exam you will fail if you do so as i was constantly told, You have to always keep your arms firmly on the steering and drive at the allowed speed if you are on the priority road. Donot brake or suddenly weer off the straight line. If you donot have priority always go at around 10kph and only proceed if you are sure there is no vehicle from the right side.
  • Always turn your head and look backwards while reversing.
  • To do the reverse parallel parking - make sure that you indicate and come to a stop just beside a car. Reverse in a straight line until the right outside mirror is almost at the centre of the backside window of the other car. Turn the steering fully to the left and reverse (while turning your shoulders and looking backwards) until the car is at 45 degree angle on the road. Turn the steering straight and reverse until the backtyre almost touches the side walk. Adjust your outside mirrors properly to see this. Turn your steering completely to the left and reverse again till the car is properly parked. You can adjust the car if needed. 

During the test, i made a mistake of downshifting gears (when i really had to upshift) on the Autobahn. However i had not made a mistake before and the examiner overlooked this. My instructor later told me that i also did a mistake during the U-turn. I could have easily done a proper U-turn  but i chose to reverse (you can do this). During this process, the tyres just went a little over the sidewalk . I was told that on no occassion, should the tires go on the sidewalk - except when it is explicitly mentioned on the parking sign. During the reverse parking, the car should be carefully and neatly parked behind a car with the tyres almost touching the sidewalk. 

So there it is. I really hope this is useful for you just like this thread has been very useful for me. I passed both the exams on my first attempt thanks to my instructor and with the tips here. I am sure that with proper effort and a good instructor all of you can do it in under 2 months. At the end, whatever tips you get online, it all depends on your instructor. My instructor was Vasili at der blitz. Very thankful. All the best to everyone and thanks a lot once again !

* The examiner did ask some technical questions about the car before we started. Also asked if i needed english or german for instruction. I told english and he was happy to oblige. 

* went to an ophthalmologist (eyedoctor / augenarzt) the second time when i failed at the optician. One more line and i could have passed at the optician B) Maybe i should have just gone to another optical shop after that.

* During the reverse parking, you have to turn the steering to the RIGHT first when you park on the right side. Dont forget to readjust the rearview mirror before you continue.

Not sure if i made other big mistakes in writing. And the license cost me a little more than the average for umschreiben as i did take a number of driving lessons because i was making a number of mistakes even though i had prior driving experience on all sort of roads.(Most people doing umschreiben spend around 1000 euros) I have tried to list many of them. Hope it will be helpful. 

Also the augenarzt told me about claiming the 80 euros back from the govt while filing for tax returns  (he really did the complete test with which certificate i could take any license including lkw/bus), do you know if something like that is possible ? I didnt really have an option. I so very badly wanted to pass the test as i always wanted to drive on the autobahn :blink: (bucket list:D ). Also if there is an alternate way instead of doing the complete eye test, do mention here. It will be helpful for others. But all the best and treat driving as a passion. You will surely come out successful in an even lesser time with a much lesser expenditure. Thankyou again for your posts on this thread.

I have to do the entire driving licence over again, from null. I'm nearing the end of the process now. I've sat all 14 theory lessons (apart from being auf deutsch there was not much new, but still good to hear the local laws straight from the horses's mouth I guess). As of writing, I still need to take the written test (in the next few weeks?) and then the driving test. Hopefully before Christmas it'll be done. I've been doing the studying (there's an app for that!) in German because the English translations are often awkward and I'd rather think directly in German with traffic signs/rules here in Germany, mainly so that I'm not always translating on-the-go, and so I can actually learn the necessary German vocab. (Which is a pain and the main reason I've failed some of the pratice tests, forgetting what the bloody word means and what the question is really asking).

My instructor (nice guy and very experienced, former truck driver too -- I think he finds it refreshing to have someone older to shoot the shit with while driving, lol) is letting me do a shortened program of driving lessons, only the minimum required plus any top-ups I might need. In the end I should pay several hundred euros less than the average 17-year old. For me, the main new thing to wrap my head around was the manual gearbox (in Canada, automatic is default). I won't say I'm always the smoothest shifter ever yet, but it's I'd say it only took me a couple hours to get used to it. One persistent annoying thing I keep/kept doing is stalling the car when setting off. I guess it's some foot movement instinct... I seem to let go of the clutch too soon (or press it all the way) without enough gas -- leading to a stall. But that was more at first, and I haven't stalled in the last few lessons.

As background, it's my own fault, as 1) I've already been in Germany 8ish years, and 2) my Canadian (Ontario) license expired a few years ago. On the latter point, it was actually the second stage of 3 in Ontario's system (a G2 for those in the know)... I had passed the written test and eventually (after a couple attempts) a first road test. You're then allowed to drive as anyone else, always with zero BAC, but still need a 2nd (final) road test within 5 years (the idea is basically to let you have more experience on highways). You must stay on a level for 12 months before trying to 'graduate' out and I only got that level a few months before I left for Germany. The years flew by and I was back to zilch.

In Toronto, one can find the test fail rates for the various drive-test centres (a privately owned Secro 'public service' venture...) and fail rates in the city itself are known to be pretty high. Of course, one can simply be a unready/unprepared/bad driver (certainly the case after my first fail), but from my and others' experiences, I remain a pretty cynical about the objectivity of drive-test examiners... State-funding is limited and a steady stream of returnees ensures income for the branch. Clever young drivers-to-be go to small towns in the boonies where pass rates are mysteriously higher, where the local population of such places wouldn't normally warrant the amount of income these centres receive. Strange coincidence, that. The working conditions at these places are pretty poor and employees always seemed perpetually grumpy at best. Customer service? Who cares, it's a public-private monopoly.

Anyway, I will give a (shorter) update once I've done the test. I commute daily with my bike, enjoy it, and plan to keep on doing so. But it's nice to be able to rent a car for moving large furniture or holidays, etc.

Hi All,

So since this forum helped me while I was trying to get my license now that I got it I decided to share my experience here too (very very long post ahead).

Location and profile: Hamburg, zero driving experience so I had to learn everything here, which was COSTLY. Also had a bad experience with a car crash which didn’t help at the beginning (thought we were going to die for the first three weeks of lessons). Don’t worry if you went through something like that: it gets better. The more you drive, the more confident you will get, even if not at the same level of young German drivers, but you will slowly build your confidence.

Fahrschule: sounds obvious, but look for one with good reviews. There was one closer to home with 3 stars and one a little farther away with 4,5 and tons of very positive reviews. They were well deserved, I didn’t experience any mistreating from the teachers, wasn’t judged by my level of German and wasn’t screamed at for anything that didn’t deserve some screaming. When I started preparing for the test and did something really bad is when my teacher would scream, but not in a “you are so stupid” way, just so I could really see that it was a big mistake and that during the exam, it would have been an automatic “Prüfung ist zum Ende” situation. Even so, she was great at assessing the situation, if I should be pushed more or if I was too stressed and needed something easier to relax again.

At my school you started preparing for the test when the teacher thought you were ready, and I could actually feel I was ready. So especially for those who are learning from 0, don’t rush. It’s almost impossible to just do the mandatory 12 hours and then go to the test, you’ll need practice, and if it’s 10 or 30 or 50 hours more, they will be worth it. You’ll go to the test feeling confident and not like you’re gambling. If you don’t pass, you’ll have to take more classes and pay for the test again (bye bye 200 EUR). So be patient and be prepared so you can do your best and try to ace it on the first try.

Know that you’ll usually have two hours of lesson, and after you start preparing for the test (at least in my case) many 3 hour lessons. Also something that helped a ton was being able to drive with another student sitting behind, so you get used to having someone looking at everything you do besides your teacher. And when the other student is driving you get to see their mistakes or the thigs they do great, to learn from it, and also see again and again your Prüfungsgebiet.

Test: your teacher will prepare you the best way possible trying to show your Prüfungsgebiet. This will not necessarily be the same as your city (for example, my school is in Hamburg. However, the test was made in Harburg instead of Hamburg-Mitte, because according to the teacher it was easier and she knew the Prüfers there. Other teacher at the same school knew more of Hamburg-Mitte, and if you want to have your test somewhere else it was allowed too, but bearing in mind that the teachers might not know about the place that well). Some days before the test they can check who your Prüfer will be, and you’ll prepare for the test according to this (they know which Prüfer will always drive more on the Autobahn, which ones have a shorter route, which ones always or never do Gefahrbremsung, or if they scream at you but “that’s good because he didn’t cancel the test yet, he’s trying to help you” and which ones will tell jokes along the way).

The test started with the Prüfer saying that we were gonna go on a little drive, that whenever nothing was said we’d be driving straight ahead or following the Vorfahrtstrasse, and that if I didn’t understand any of his indications to please ask. NOTE: everything was in German and the teacher is not supposed to help you translating anything. Also the Prüfer talking in English isn’t the rule, so just know that you should be ready to understand the orders (links/rechts abbiegen, hier wollen wir rückwärts einparken, Autobahn richtung X…).

We went outside of TÜV and then we went into an Autobahn that then turned into a Kraftfahrstraße? (Can’t really remember), maximum 60-80 km/h at some parts so I didn’t have to overtake. Then we went into a 30 Zone, had to turn right because of a Verbot der Einfahrt Schild, then parking. Coming outside of the 30 Zone a Stop Schild, and then on another street a Grünpfeil Schild (you should use it during the exam, even if it’s not mandatory when you’re driving). When I was about to start turning right I realized that a person was coming and braked. You know this, but never ever continue if there is a person coming to cross in front of you, the test will end right there. Even if there is a person who has priority and they’re just standing, DO NOT CONTINUE, just signal them to cross and wait for them. Then we kept driving through some streets in which we had never been with my teacher but they weren’t difficult, and soon enough we came back to TÜV.

After the car was stopped, the Prüfer told me about two mistakes I made:

-On a Fahrbahnverengung (beidseitig) Schild, so when two lanes become one, I didn’t signal nor did Schulterblick, which is bad. This was at almost the beginning of the test, and I actually realized it because I thought I would put my blinker a little later and then the two lanes had already merged, I felt so stupid because I always did it right.

-There was a Hindernis in my street (two way priority street), and he said that how I moved to the other lane and then back to mine was not WRONG but he could see I didn’t exactly made sure or calculate that I’d be able to fit after another car just passed me (on their Spur, and then I changed into his). So basically he was just saying that I should always make really sure that the car will fit and there is enough space for me to go through.

And then he said Herzlichen Glückwunsch, I had my license :).

Things my Prüfer didn’t do but can happen at your test:

-Technical questions at the beginning before starting to drive: where is Warnblinker, Abblendlicht, what is this red light, this yellow light, how do you check oil level, what’s the minimum profile in the tyres.

-Umkehren: to turn back, maybe entering a dead end street and slowly turning, or going reverse into the driveway of a house and then going back the same way you came.

-Gefahrbremsung: you are explained that you will be doing in, you drive, then change to second gear, and when you’re driving at 30 km/h and ONLY when your teacher shouts “STOP!” then you hit the Kupplung and brake, don’t let the car shut down and when the Prüfer says ok, keep going, you have to blink left, check your mirrors, Schulterblick and then keep driving. If you don’t do these last steps, they can ask you to do Gefahrbremsung again, and if the second time you still don’t check correctly before driving away, the Prüfung can be ended.

-Drive a lot on the Autobahn: they want to see that you’re able to overtake on your own, showing that you know at what speed you should drive (so no staying behind a truck at 100 km/h in a 130 km/h Autobahn).

Price: as I said at the beginning, I was scared of driving and had zero experience, so that made the Fahrstunden rise to a total of 64 hours. Yes, 64, it is A LOT but I hope that if there is someone who always reads that the normal amount is around 30-40 and needs some more hours won’t feel too bad and can see that even if it takes longer, it’s possible to get your license.

An hour of driving is actually 45 minutes, and my school charged 45 euros an hour (50 for automatic car), which gave me a total of 2880 EUR. Tests and Anmeldung and everything else was like 650 total. You should be able to realize soon when you begin your lessons if you will need more or less driving hours, and if you are able to drive manual, have some difficulties (like me) or it just would be easier for yourself to change to automatic (some students were encouraged to change after they couldn’t change to third gear after many classes). Just be prepared to pay some money, getting your Führerschein will not be cheap even with a lot less driving hours (at least I don’t think 1000 EUR is cheap : P )

Contrary to what I read in some places, the Sondernfahrten didn’t have an extra cost and were mixed with normal hours. Actually I even did the Nachtfahrt the same week as my test.

How to prepare for the test: I bought the app that the Fahrschule was selling for 50 euros, “Fahren Lernen”, and it was really invaluable. Not just for the theory questions, but for the actual videos of the Prüfungsgebiet that show you tricky routes in which you will actually drive.

Last but not least, some very helpful websites that many might know but it could be worth leaving here anyway:

Einparken game: https://www.fahrschule.de/einparken/game.html

Die Internet Fahrshcule (Youtube): https://www.youtube.com/user/InternetFahrschule/videos . I loved these videos, they helped me understand parking a lot more.

Frag den Fahrlehrer: https://www.frag-den-fahrlehrer.de/

Fahrschule.de: https://www.fahrschule.de/

StVO: https://www.stvo.de/strassenverkehrsordnung

Road signs in Germany: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Road_signs_in_Germany

Brian’s Guide to Getting Around Germany: http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/auto.shtml

This post was very helpful. I PASSED my exam today without any trouble. Examiner was a real gentleman. Thanks to everyone :)

ALL I HAVE DONE TO PASS MY PRACTICAL TEST / MUNICH

I have passed my test early morning. This post and links given within has been of great value, so contributing to knowledge - keeping it as short as possible:

A) BEFORE THE EXAM: make sure you can tick of all 4 below

1. know all applicable traffic rules and signs by heart. 
  2. practice extensively to an extent to develop sharp focus and situational awareness
  3. unlearn what you knew before and switch on the "Exam mode". 
  4. Learn/memorize the potential route(s) of the test - helps a lot. (speed limit, possible pitfalls, signs, etc)

ADVICE: I know driving lessons are money, so prepare as much as you can at home, don't try to learn everything with your instructor. In my case, I am still first 6 months of arrival to Germany so I could drive car and I did, learning the path, practicing, switching exam mode and actually realizing what I am missing out. 

SOURCES:

B) THE EXAM: 

• Technical Questions: Everything you need in this video: https://youtu.be/ZZBukppwbdU - It is in German but open Auto-captions/translations - he speaks clearly so sufficient.
  • Stay alert and Relax: I cannot tell you how you can achieve this but this is just another topic you need to learn / practice. Search internet what works for you. I was not excited at all and despite constant chatting of instructor and examiner, I was fully focused to road
  • Think Ahead: this works well. So you are crossing light waiting for green light, dont just wait for the light look ahead what is going on. Lanes change? are there people perhaps crossing the street? Speed limit? you dont want to be caught unprepared and panic. 

C) WHAT I LEARNED FROM MY TEST EXPERIENCE: 

It took exam a near 45 minutes in the city and autobahn with variety of obstacles. This is WHY I listed the 4 reasons at before the exam part.

Some of the issues came up

• We went around very narrow streets so much that there was no way 2 car side by side fit to road so I wanted to be the on (as i do normally) give road to oncoming traffic by swerving into parked cars.
  • I had bicycles again on similar road, seeing they cannot leave 1.5 m (not even 50 cm), I came to a complete stop and wait them to pass. I don't take chances with pedestrian and bicycles 
  • Children came out of nowhere riding bike right on the road (if I just kept going forward, bum!), I wish I could have a chat with their mother. 
  • Shulterblick is absolute must? why it works! I noticed a bicycle when emerging with 45 degree to main road. He was no where in the mirrors! 
  • I had to park in front of fahrschule very busy avenue and managed to get the car into a space max 1.5 size of the car at first attempt.

My examiner was OK, he asked everything (except emergency stop) but wasn't necessarily tough. However I believe my exam would fail quite a few people.  

Overall I would say PREPARATION + KEEP POSTURE DURING EXAM / ABSOLUTE CONFIDENCE + TAKE IT EASY - It is not rocket science but do not ever think it is walk on the beach because you drive for X years already. 

Good luck to all !