Tips for passing a practical driving test

209 posts in this topic

I passed on my first try, however, I think the tester was debating whether or not to fail me because i didnt look enough in the mirrors (even though i felt i did this all the time). Luckily I had a good driving instructor that was pretty respected and he vouched for me that I am a very good driver and was just nervous. So I passed. But i would say the most important things are try not to talk with anyone in the car if they speak to you...just focus on your driving. And be sure to always look in all the mirrors and signal when needed. Other than that...I think you should be fine. But only take the test if your instructor thinks you are ready.

I passed on my first try, however, I think the tester was debating whether or not to fail me because i didnt look enough in the mirrors (even though i felt i did this all the time). Luckily I had a good driving instructor that was pretty respected and he vouched for me that I am a very good driver and was just nervous. So I passed. But i would say the most important things are try not to talk with anyone in the car if they speak to you...just focus on your driving. And be sure to always look in all the mirrors and signal when needed. Other than that...I think you should be fine. But only take the test if your instructor thinks you are ready.

Good advice- look in the mirrors often and check blind spots. My first driving licence was in Jo-burg- and test was through the city and on motorway. Very scary- and did not understand all the tester's Afrikaans, but passed.

I will share my experience which many might not like. 

So I failed my practical test about a week ago. And I'll give you tips that will be very important for your budget and sanity. 

First choose a school that is professional, because others will try to suck money out of you even if they believe you are good enough to get your licence. 

Second I'd recommend you choose Dekra for exam. They are known for having good examiners that has better understanding.

I almost had a 40 minutes test, I've been driving since 2008, and honestly I've never driven so careful before. Examiner was in a good mood, they chatted with the teacher all along about his holidays etc, I kept my mouth shut and drove. He only told me where to turn, where to go. I did excellent.

At the end he asked me to read the expiry date of car TUV on the plate, when I wanted to come back into car, examiner stopped me, asked me to wait outside. That was fishy. 

You can imagine he told me I failed, and the reason was 'Mißachtung der Vorfahrt' i.e. I did not look to the right 3 times on a road without signs, which I don't really think so and on motorway I exceeded to 63-65 2x times where the limit was 60. 

So I was pissed, and couldn't believe he just did that because of these reasons. Teacher told me when examiner stopped me, he asked the teacher how I do normally on the roads without signs, if I'm careful and the retarded teacher told him I made same mistakes couple of times. 

I'm doing a 'Umschreibung' had 2 hours driving with him, where only thing he did was playing with his fucking phone and speaking to his friends, and he did not back me up. So choose your teacher carefully.

During your lessons, take it seriously because your teacher might have a big role in passing exam. If he's busy with other stuff, tell him to shut it off, and work on your mistakes/driving. 

I was wondering if I can set up gopro cameras in the car during my exam. To replay and check where I did mistakes. Anyone has that experience, please tell! 

So long story short, there are tiny details that you might unintentionally skip, no big deal and if examiner is a cunt, you will not pass. Try to have a great concentration and do your best, eventually you will get it. 

So I was pissed, and couldn't believe he just did that because of these reasons.

But this is a number 1 reason for road accidents in Germany. Would you rather pass, have an accident in future and your insurance company will cancel your no accident record resulting in you having to pay higher insurance fees+repair your car. These costs will be much higher than 200 euros you lost now.

In fact, you should be grateful that you have had a bad examiner. You are not yet ready for German roads, sorry.

Second I'd recommend you choose Dekra for exam. They are known for having good examiners that has better understanding.

The DEKRA doesn't have different rules than TÜV. There are good and bad examiners in the TÜV. The different between the two is that bad examiners fail you straight away while good ones access if your number of mistakes is similar to those by normal German drivers.

It's not the end of the world, I failed the test the first time and I had by then almost 20 years of driving experience. The reason was because I failed to check the mirrors properly while changing lanes. They expected me to move the head 1-2-3 (rear mirror, side mirror, shoulder check) instead of just moving the eyes for 1 and checking 2 and 3 with one head movement. So the second time I just exaggerated the 1-2-3 head movement because that's what the expected and everything went well.

Would you rather pass, have an accident in future and your insurance company will cancel your no accident record resulting in you having to pay higher insurance fees+repair your car. These costs will be much higher than 200 euros you lost now.

You are right and I'm aware of this. I always followed rules and limits until this day wherever I drove and had no accidents since 2008. 

In fact, you should be grateful that you have had a bad examiner. You are not yet ready for German roads, sorry.

I disagree. Anyone can miss something small in a stressful 40 minutes long drive, where they are watched and examined. It's impossible to describe my test with words, that's why I wanted a recording of it, so you could see and decide. Because I said it, I was perfectly concentrated and don't think I missed anything. 

Therefore I will not continue my claims because even I cannot be 100% sure without seeing what happened with my own eyes. 

I am a cyclist, use bicycle everyday to work, do you know how many people I come across each day that has no idea of rules and driving? How the hell those people passed the test, can you explain? You think they did everything right during test and then decided to not follow them..? 

I always followed rules and limits until this day wherever I drove and had no accidents since 2008. 

I disagree. A new driver would definitely miss something small in a stressful 40 minutes long drive. I just think examiner will more likely to pass this person. It's impossible to describe my test with words, that's why I wanted a recording of it, so you could see and decide. Because I said it, I was perfectly concentrated and don't think I missed anything. 

Therefore I will not continue my claims because even I cannot be 100% sure without seeing what happened with my own eyes. 

I am a cyclist, use bicycle everyday to work, do you know how many people I come across each day that has no idea of rules and driving? How the hell those people passed the test, can you explain? You think they did everything right during test and then decided to not follow them..? 

Even if you could see it and "decide" yourself, it won't change the examiner's decision.  You've learned more about what is expected of you on the exam and can improve.

I'm now practicing for the practical exam and have been driving since 1997.  Since then I have picked up a lot of "bad habits" my instructor expects me to correct because the examiner will mark off points for them.  Have I caused an accident with these "bad habits"?  Not one.  But I'm expected to drive as the examiner tests me to do so, not as I prefer to drive.  My instructor said because I have driving history, the examiner may well be harder on me than a new person.  Hopefully not, but I'll know next Friday.

Best of luck on your next sitting!

I passed my driving test in my first attempt :)The examiner was a nice guy and he really made me comfortable and asked me to drive as if I drive in my normal driving hrs. Everything went on well apart from a few small mistakes I did which was acceptable for him.You cannot make any big mistakes in exam after having enough practise sesssions with your Instructor.If you still do so, then it must be out of stress or nervousness. I don't know if it works for everyone atleast it did it for me - I'd some "homeopathic non alcoholic stress relief drops" (PM me for more details) before going to exam and it made me really stressfree and cool throughout the exam.I also used to watch  Gerd Moll Onlinefahrlehrer   a number of times , so that I was kind of knowing what to expect in the exam and each time I watched his videos the more confident I was!  Videos from Die InternetFahrschule are also good but I'd problem in following his German but worth to watch.

You could also find some good tips here,

http://www.tuev-sued.de/fuehrerschein-pruefung/die-fuehrerscheinpruefung/tipps-fuer-eine-erfolgreiche-fuehrerscheinpruefung

Good Luck!

Explanation is simple: the rules used to be more relaxed a while ago and now are more strict because of increasing accident number. For example, reaction test (heavy braking from 30 kmh) was introduced as a part of exam in 2014, very recently. Because many people cause accidents due to failure to react. I understand your anger but while the system was not fair to you, it in general helps to reduce accident numbers.

And maybe you should contact a different driving school. My instructor always has a rule that you should have a driving lesson for 1 hour before exam to eliminate stress factor. Did you have this?

Hi everyone,

My 2 cents as I had read this whole thread before my test.

I passed the practical test in NRW about a week ago, on the second attempt. I have been driving in Egypt since 2000. Naturally, I had applied for 'Führerschein umschreiben' transfer of license, otherwise I would have had to do the whole thing as a complete beginner.

First of all, I now understand why they are so strict in Germany. It is very easy to cause damage to other cars or people on the street. At least compared to Cairo. I will not go into the reasons for that.

Then the driving school. I was with one that was recommended by a lot of friends, and I advise you to do the same. I took around 8 hours before the first attempt, then another 2 before the second attempt. I highly recommend that you take a couple extra hours after your instructor tells you you are ready, everything will 'stick' more in your head.

Then the test. My first attempt only lasted about 10 minutes. Drove in the city for about 5 minutes, then took the Autobahn. I was fine until the tester told me to take the next exit. There was a car that was driving slowly on the middle lane. I was just focusing on maintaining the 130 recommended speed, I overtook that car from the right; 'rechts überholen', a big NO NO. My instructor then had to brake from his set of pedals, there was this beep and I knew then and there that I failed the test. Going back to TÜV, the tester was not really interested and was just chatting with my instructor. His job was over :)

To be honest, the tester was really nice and professional all along, I even chatted with him before the exam about Egypt as I can speak some German. After I failed, he explained to me what went wrong clearly.

I then took 2 hours of driving lessons mostly focused on the Autobahn :)  

Second attempt. Extremely nervous but still driving according to the rules. It was a bit confusing when we turned into a residential area, then the tester asked me to apply a 'Gefahren Bremsung'; emergency brakes. I was not getting half of what he was saying because of the tension. I did that part fine. But then setting off again, he reminded me of 'Innenspiegel, Außenspiegel, Schulterblick, blinken'. It is really hard to pick up that habit, and in real life no one really does it. Driving further into the city, I made a major mistake. I was turning left from a traffic light. I waited a bit to give way to oncoming traffic, but the last car just appeared out of the blue. Luckily it was turning right, the same street I was turning into. I managed to brake early enough to let the guy through, but the tester did shout 'WAS IST LOS HIER!!'. I thought I failed again. Drove back to the TÜV, parked, tester gave me a paper saying I passed, but took around 5 minutes to explain what I had done wrong, and stressing on the fact that driving in Germany is different than Cairo.

After the test, my instructor told me that this is a completely new route and is much easier than the known ones. I think I just got lucky there.

So golden rules imho:

- The school is like 80% of your success.

- Do not rush into the exam, especially if you have a lot of driving experience already. There will be a lot of bad habits that you will have to undo. Failing the test and having to wait for the next is such a downer. A couple more lessons will go a long way.

- If you do not understand the tester at any time, just explain calmly that your German is not perfect and ask him to repeat. 

- All this crap talk about 'the mood of the tester', etc... does not really matter if you have practiced enough.

- Yes real life driving is very different than the test, but there is nothing you can do to change that.

Apologies if any of this has been said already in the thread.

Unsure how it is in Germany, but in Portugal parking lots from supermarkets are private property, so you can drive on them without a license. What I did (17 year ago) was spending some weekend afternoons on half empty supermarket parking lots, just driving around. 

That does not prepare you for everything, but creates automatism for shifting gears, turns, etc, so you can then focus on your surroundings.

6 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

Unsure how it is in Germany, but in Portugal parking lots from supermarkets are private property, so you can drive on them without a license. What I did (17 year ago) was spending some weekend afternoons on half empty supermarket parking lots, just driving around. 

That does not prepare you for everything, but creates automatism for shifting gears, turns, etc, so you can then focus on your surroundings.

Parking lots are private property but are open to the public, so the driving license is required. Driving without a license in your own yard (not a public space) = no problem.

That's why you should only use Verkehrsübungsplatz as suggested by @lawawi, they are available everywhere.

Yes, no, do NOT practice driving in a supermarket car park - most here actually have a sign saying that STVO apply - rules of the road apply, and that includes having a valid licence!

Apart from that, you would be up shit creek without a paddle if you had an accident and damaged either yourself or the car - the insurance would most certainly NOT pay!

Apart from that, you would be up shit creek without a paddle if you had an accident and damaged either yourself or the car - the insurance would most certainly NOT pay!

It will not pay at official Verkehrsübungsplatz either, everything at own risk. The only possible way to learn with insurance fully covered is driving school. When the instructor asked me why I was so nervous while driving I told that I was afraid to cause an accident. She explained that the driving instructor is fully liable in this case while the learner has zero liability.

2 hours ago, robinson100 said:

Yes, no, do NOT practice driving in a supermarket car park - most here actually have a sign saying that STVO apply - rules of the road apply, and that includes having a valid licence!

They can have whatever signs they want to have, when the parking lot can be reached from public roads, you must have a valid drivers license to drive on it.

It is a different story, when there is a barrier blocking direct access to the parking lot... In that case you may drive there without a drivers license, but the liability issue is a can of worms then...

30 minutes ago, franklan said:

It is a different story, when there is a barrier blocking direct access to the parking lot... In that case you may drive there without a drivers license, but the liability issue is a can of worms then...

Nope, barrier doesn't make a public space private. Otherwise you can say the same about barriers at railway crossings. What makes such a difference is who is allowed to drive into this parking lot.

Everyone = this is a public lot, driving license required. Park spaces "only for customers" etc are public, too because everyone can become a customer;

Only authorized persons = this is a private lot, driving license not required.

Detailed info with legal references here.

Today  I failed for the first time in NRW. My mistakes were

1. Schulterblick-I do not even remember when I did not do that but apparently several times I missed it. I think mostly when I was changing lanes

2. Priority Road-One time I was in priority road but stopped and gave a way to the car coming from right side. I forgot that I was on Priority Road

3. St. Andrews Cross-I stopped in front of it and turned the card-once it was open I started to drive slowly but the road was very tight and in front of me there was a woman who was playing with her phone and crossing slowly. I did not want to overtake her or horn and prefer to stay behind and move slowly. Suddenly the car behind me started to horn and examiner told me that was big a mistake. I should have horned to woman to move right side or stop because I was holding cars behind.

Well that is it. At the end he gave me a paper where it shows where I made a mistake-there were only two X: One Schulterblick and One for Priority Road Sign Mistake

I really hope I can pass next time (after two weeks). What I can advice is do not rush to pass exam-be 90-99% sure you can do it and then go for exam. Otherwise it is pain in the ass to fail and wait for the second time-Two more weeks-at least 500-600 EUR more to pay

Good luck guys

I passed my test recently but I guess there was a bit of luck there. Examiner understood that I was tense and gave me my license after telling me my mistakes :D

In my case he did not take me to the autobahn. Actually we were very close to it, but on other lane on the traffic signal.

I was expecting that we would be going to the Autobahn, and changed the lane at the traffic signal, which is very bad on normal circumstances.

But as I said I was expecting that we would goto Autobahn from there.

Secondly the parking spot he chose was a bit too tight for me, but I did that without any failure ;)

Tips from my experience

• Dont expect that the examiner will ask you to do everything that others did.
  • Just go with the flow and as per his instructions.