Tips for passing a practical driving test

171 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I would like to know exact information about practical driving test German driver license.

I already know that we can use English language in theory (written) test, how about practical driving test? Can request English language?

Cheers,

Ling

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

No, the practical test is in German. However it is not that difficult (languagewise) and your instructor can help you to prepare for it.

Hello All,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with respect to this topic.

I am the active reader on this forum since long and registerd now just to share my experience with all users.

I have found this thread really important for me as I am also scared of practical driving test.

By reading tips and experiences from other users it is giving me confidence to give a try one more time for the practical test despite the failure earlier.

The reason i failed my earlier practical tests are as below:

1st Test:

I was giving practical test on the sunny day in Frankfurt Sachsenhausen area. I was confident and we started with the test. On the zebra crossing when I seen there is no one.

I started to cross it and as soon the rear wheel was about to leave zebra crossing examiner made a shout unexpectedly this forced me to apply breaking at the speed of around 10. And when I looked in side mirror there were kids crossing the zebra crossing.

Immediately he failed me in the test.

2nd Test:

Again it was Sunny day and we reached on autobahn. Things were good till the time we were on the autobahn. The examiner told me to take a lane which goes in other direction.

Due to my poor German understanding I failed to do so and then instructor sitting beside me asked me to take next autobahn exit. We took a exit and came on a road inside city. Due to this I came under stress and made a mistake while taking left turn in junction, i overlooked at the oncoming traffic and made a left turn quickly instead of giving priority. Due to this reason i failed again.

I know it is really important to stay calm and confident during test but as soon I came to know that I made some mistake, stress causes me to make more mistakes.

I am preparing for my next exam and trying not to repeat mistakes which I made earlier and will stay calm and confident during the test.

As each time going through this whole process takes time and money it is really nice to read the tips from the people who cleared the test and experiences from the people who took the exam but couldn't clear it.

Thanks again and keep sharing your experiences.

Nick

As a cyclist and motorbiker I get the shivers reading your description of how were driving in the exams. You really should practice a lot more under supervision before driving on public roads if you are this easily distracted!

As an average Joe I get the shivers when people do not have common sense. How you drive during the test does not reflect how you drive in a normal day. During the test you are under heavy stress and you might end up doing things that do not make sense, even really stupid things, like not stopping on a red light or things like that.

Agreed. Plus, in Germany, I'm sure you will pick up a thing or two when driving with everyone else without someone breathing down your neck. You learn from experience and from watching what others do... except for right before left. Learn this!

When I finally passed my driving test I had taken an intensive course for 3 weeks (in England), driving for 2 hours a day.

As an average Joe I get the shivers when people do not have common sense. How you drive during the test does not reflect how you drive in a normal day. During the test you are under heavy stress and you might end up doing things that do not make sense, even really stupid things, like not stopping on a red light or things like that.

You don't get driving license for driving on a normal day, you get it for being able to drive on any day, including when you are under stress. Although theoretical exam suggests that you refrain from driving if you've got bad news (e.g. you family is in hospital and suffering), but this is only a recommendation, so the examiner have to be sure that you'll still be able to drive safely under these circumstances.

Stress is not an excuse for failing the driving test!

I passed from first attempt and these are my tips:

1. Take lessons! Failed exam costs ca. 6 lessons at school, so it's definitely better to take these 6 lessons instead of taking one exam and failing it. Do not take exam if you driving instructor says you are not ready. They've seen hundreds of exams and can estimate your chances pretty accurately.

2. Before pressing the brake pedal, look into rear side mirror (to be sure you're not going to be rear ended). This applies to stopping at traffic lights/intersections, making turns etc.

3. Always look into rear side windows before changing direction of motion, looking into mirrors is not enough! This applies to changing lanes, making turns etc. This way you'll better see two wheelers and pedestrians. Do it even if you merge into lane where it begins (e.g. exit lane on the autobahn, left turning lane on intersectiones): someone can be breaking the rules and suddenly appear where it should not be! It's also handy that long before right turn you already start looking right and watching for cyclists, so they will not appear unexpected. For left turn you should watch not only for incoming traffic but for incoming cyclists and pedestrians crossing the road you want to turn into. Look at left side window.

4. Only severe mistakes will fail you. Look at Bußgeld katalog and see for which offenses you get points in Flensburg. This is what is "no-no" at the exam. If you haven't got points in Flensburg during exam, normally you'd pass it. For example for speeding you only get points for going >20 kmh over a limit. That doesn't mean you can drive 70 kmh in a city without being failed, but occasional speeding up to this point will be tolerated.

Hello All,

Can somebody gives me some sentences in German which are usually asked by driving Examiner.

example

Turn left - links abbiegen

Turn right - rechts abbiegen

likewise for other lines also

change lane to one left

U turn

enter autobahn

exit autobahn... etc.... ???

Thanks

Dp

If your German is not good enough to understand simple instructions that the examiner gives you without having to ask on an internet forum, I suggest you learn more German before you take the test.

Changing lanes is your responsibility, nobody is going to tell you which lane to use (always right lane, change to left lane before turning left).

Autobahn verlassen - leave autobahn

Nächste Ausfahrt - next exit

You have to know how to understand road signs. Usually they will tell you to go to autobahn "Richtung Berlin" and you yourself should look for blue signs with direction "Berlin".

You also forgot Roundabouts:

Kreisverkehr

and then Erste, Zweite oder Dritte Ausfahrt benutzen.

Thanks to all for sharing their experience. Good news. I did my practical exam today and passed in the first attempt. As this thread was very helpful for me to understand the nature of the exam I would like to share my experience!

During the 45 minutes exam, I did one parking, few kms in Autobahn, city road, 30 zone and one way street.I maintained allowed speed in all the regions. Parallel parking was ok but not great. entering autobahn was very difficult because of rain and heavy morning traffic. Fortunately I have been through the exam route few time during my practice and also my friends showed me the similar routes several times which was great help to be prepared in the exam. The most liked part in the exam is the silence and only the commands from your examiner so then you can focus on the signals and driving. Eventhough my instructor is friendly, he will critize during the practice which gives me more stress.

My suggesstion would be take necessary practice hours and if possible few simulated exams.

Best luck to all

Here are some tips.

1. Always Stop on the Stop sign for minimum 3 seconds! If there is a line, stop first before the line for 3 seconds, and then carefuly continue to the junction and stop there as well.

2. Learn always to look first into the Innenspiegel then Außenspiegel. ALWAYS make the Schulterblick (over the shoulder look) when making turns.

3. Learn what is Schrittgeschwindigkeit, because of this you can automatically fail the test. It's the speed between 4 and 7 Km/h and if you go over that, let's say 10 Km/h in the Verkehrsberuhigten Bereichen, you will automatically fail the test!

4. Learn how to shift down gears properly, FIRST brake, then CHANGE the speed!

5. It's good to know how to park in the reverse manually, but on the test you can also use the automatic parking help. If you park manually in reverse, keep the distance from car to the bank in about 20 cm, everything else is too wide.

6. Keep both hands on the steering wheel, all the time!

7. Beim Gefahrbremsemanöver, at the Prüfers command, press the both clutch and brake pedals so hard that you can touch the asphalt, the front wheels must be locked completely!

8. Keep kalm, and do everything slowly, think two times before every action!

Good luck!

Hello Guys

i have passed my German driving test in Munich 1 month ago , here are the steps with cost & addresses in Munich & some tips :-

Step – 1 – First Aid and Eye Test

– Cost 6.43 + 24 EUR

– Address Ostbanhof & 3 more places .

Step – 2 – ADAC translation of license in German lang. ( If you already hold a license from different country)

– Cost 55 EUR

– Address Ridlerstrasse 35

Step – 3 – Registration in driving school

– Cost 200 EUR

Step – 4 – Registration in KVR (Fuhrshein) – long queue

– Cost 42.6 EUR

– Address Eichstätter Straße 2, Munich

Step – 5 – Buy Theory Online book

– 50 EUR

– Around 1000 questions with multiple choice answers

– All Questions came from this book only.Not even a single question was out of scope

– Atleast you need to go through these question 3 times.I took 30-40 days(approx 1 hour daily) to cover this.

Step – 6 – Book a date for theory exam from your driving school

– Cost 75 EUR (Driving school)

– Cost 21 EUR (Either Driving school will take this or you need to give directly in exam hall )

– Total 30 question (20 Basic + 10 special)

– Each question has certian points , so atleast you should not give wrong answer for more than 12 points to

pass.

– Result was given at that point of time only .

– Address Ridlerstrasse 57 , Munich

Step – 7 – Start taking Driving practical sessions

– I suggest to start taking practical session during your preparation for Theory as this will give you

benefit to understand most of the rules & makes your theory prep. little bit easy.

– apprx 39 per session ( 40-45 mins )

– mostly 2 session are taken at 1 time by most of the driving school

– If you know driving then you dont need to take some special session like driving in night , autobahns etc.

Step – 8 – Book for Driving practical exam once you feel confident & trainer will tell you to do so

– Cost 190 EUR (Driving school)

– Cost 85 EUR (Govt Authority)

After taking 16 sessions i have given practical exam but hard luck

1st attempt exp.

During the 45 minutes exam, I did one parking, few kms in Autobahn, city road, 30 zone ,one way street , U turn and Emergency

brakes.

I maintained allowed speed in all the regions. The most liked part in the exam is the silence and only the commands from your

examiner so then you can focus on the signals and driving.

My suggesstion would be take necessary practice hours and if possible few simulated exams.

My mistake was i did a lane change without blinker & shoulder blick & this is reason they told me to try again

You cannot affort a single mistake during the exam.

After taking 2 more sessions i have give the test again in 2 weeks & cleared it

This time they asked me some question regarding the Car like where is the Tyre M+S written & some questions regarding engine

oil,water for mirrors…

Driving part is almost same & luckily i passed this time.

They have given me paper that i have cleared the exam & with that i went to KVR (Fuhrshein) again to collect the License.

Here are some tips.

1. Always Stop on the Stop sign for minimum 3 seconds! If there is a line, stop first before the line for 3 seconds, and then

carefuly continue to the junction and stop there as well.

2. Learn always to look first into the Innenspiegel then Außenspiegel. ALWAYS make the Schulterblick (over the shoulder look) when

making turns.

3. It’s good to know how to park in the reverse manually, but on the test you can also use the automatic parking help. If you park

manually in reverse, keep the distance from car to the bank in about 20 cm, everything else is too wide.

4. Keep both hands on the steering wheel, all the time!

5. Beim Gefahrbremsemanöver, at the Prüfers command, press the both clutch and brake pedals so hard that you can touch the asphalt,

the front wheels must be locked completely!

6. Keep calm, and do everything slowly, think two times before every action!

Here are some useful links :-

http://www.usareurpracticetest.com/germany/videos.asp?module=2#driving-in-europe

Useful vocabulary for the driving test,if you dont know German.(Ref. http://www.fahrschule-christine-

timmer.de/pdf_download/Mini_Glossary_2S.pdf )

This helped me very much

rechts – right

links – left

Kreuzung – junction / intersection

Ampel – traffic light / signal

Straße – street / road

wenden – turn around

rückwärts – revers

einparken – to park

Vorfahrtsstraße – priority road

Spur/Fahrstreifen – lane

geradeaus fahren – go straight ahead

rechts abbiegen – turn right

links abbiegen – turn left

an der Kreuzung rechts – right at the junction

an der Ampel rechts – left at the traffic light

nächste Straße rechts – next street to the right

rückwärts Einparken – parallel parking

der Vorfahrtsstraße folgen – follow the priority

road

Spur wechseln – change lane

in der Spur bleiben – follow the lane

Richtung Autobahn Lindau fahren – follow

directions to “Autobahn Lindau”

die Autobahn an der nächsten Ausfahrt

verlassen – take the next exit

Good luck!!!

Hello Guys i have passed my German driving test in Munich 1 month ago , here are the steps with cost & addresses in Munich & some tips :-Step – 1 – First Aid and Eye Test– Cost 6.43 + 24 EUR– Address Ostbanhof & 3 more places .Step – 2 – ADAC translation of license in German lang. ( If you already hold a license from different country)– Cost 55 EUR– Address Ridlerstrasse 35Step – 3 – Registration in driving school– Cost 200 EURStep – 4 – Registration in KVR (Fuhrshein) – long queue– Cost 42.6 EUR– Address Eichstätter Straße 2, MunichStep – 5 – Buy Theory Online book– 50 EUR– Around 1000 questions with multiple choice answers– All Questions came from this book only.Not even a single question was out of scope – Atleast you need to go through these question 3 times.I took 30-40 days(approx 1 hour daily) to cover this.Step – 6 – Book a date for theory exam from your driving school– Cost 75 EUR (Driving school)– Cost 21 EUR (Either Driving school will take this or you need to give directly in exam hall )– Total 30 question (20 Basic + 10 special)– Each question has certian points , so atleast you should not give wrong answer for more than 12 points topass.– Result was given at that point of time only .– Address Ridlerstrasse 57 , MunichStep – 7 – Start taking Driving practical sessions– I suggest to start taking practical session during your preparation for Theory as this will give youbenefit to understand most of the rules & makes your theory prep. little bit easy.– apprx 39 per session ( 40-45 mins )– mostly 2 session are taken at 1 time by most of the driving school– If you know driving then you dont need to take some special session like driving in night , autobahns etc.Step – 8 – Book for Driving practical exam once you feel confident & trainer will tell you to do so– Cost 190 EUR (Driving school)– Cost 85 EUR (Govt Authority)After taking 16 sessions i have given practical exam but hard luck 1st attempt exp.During the 45 minutes exam, I did one parking, few kms in Autobahn, city road, 30 zone ,one way street , U turn and Emergencybrakes.I maintained allowed speed in all the regions. The most liked part in the exam is the silence and only the commands from yourexaminer so then you can focus on the signals and driving.My suggesstion would be take necessary practice hours and if possible few simulated exams.My mistake was i did a lane change without blinker & shoulder blick & this is reason they told me to try again You cannot affort a single mistake during the exam.After taking 2 more sessions i have give the test again in 2 weeks & cleared it This time they asked me some question regarding the Car like where is the Tyre M+S written & some questions regarding engineoil,water for mirrors…Driving part is almost same & luckily i passed this time.They have given me paper that i have cleared the exam & with that i went to KVR (Fuhrshein) again to collect the License.Here are some tips.1. Always Stop on the Stop sign for minimum 3 seconds! If there is a line, stop first before the line for 3 seconds, and thencarefuly continue to the junction and stop there as well.2. Learn always to look first into the Innenspiegel then Außenspiegel. ALWAYS make the Schulterblick (over the shoulder look) whenmaking turns.3. It’s good to know how to park in the reverse manually, but on the test you can also use the automatic parking help. If you parkmanually in reverse, keep the distance from car to the bank in about 20 cm, everything else is too wide.4. Keep both hands on the steering wheel, all the time!5. Beim Gefahrbremsemanöver, at the Prüfers command, press the both clutch and brake pedals so hard that you can touch the asphalt,the front wheels must be locked completely!6. Keep calm, and do everything slowly, think two times before every action!Here are some useful links :-http://www.usareurpracticetest.com/germany/videos.asp?module=2#driving-in-europeUseful vocabulary for the driving test,if you dont know German.(Ref. http://www.fahrschule-christine-timmer.de/pdf_download/Mini_Glossary_2S.pdf )This helped me very muchrechts – rightlinks – leftKreuzung – junction / intersectionAmpel – traffic light / signalStraße – street / roadwenden – turn aroundrückwärts – reverseinparken – to parkVorfahrtsstraße – priority roadSpur/Fahrstreifen – lanegeradeaus fahren – go straight aheadrechts abbiegen – turn rightlinks abbiegen – turn leftan der Kreuzung rechts – right at the junctionan der Ampel rechts – left at the traffic lightnächste Straße rechts – next street to the rightrückwärts Einparken – parallel parkingder Vorfahrtsstraße folgen – follow the priorityroadSpur wechseln – change lanein der Spur bleiben – follow the laneRichtung Autobahn Lindau fahren – followdirections to “Autobahn Lindau”die Autobahn an der nächsten Ausfahrtverlassen – take the next exitGood luck!!!.

Thanks a lot for the tips you've posted here...May i ask which driving school you chose? If you do not wish to reveal the name here, please feel free to send me a pm. Thank you very much.

Just sharing my experience during converting my Indian license to German one. Most of information might have already been shared.

I successfuly passed my theory and practical test and now I have my German Driving license.

For theory exam in English, I would definitely recommend https://www.fuehrerschein-bestehen.de/.. It was the best 20Eur spent. The test interface is exactly same as the one at TUV and quetsions are also very similar. I noticed few minor differences, but not any major differences that would lead to failure.

For Driving School, I had chosen Fahrschule am Zoo (Frankfurt) as they offer lessons in english. My trainer was a german guy Mr. Herste. He was supposedly their tutor for english lessons, but his english was very poor. His training method was also not quite nice, as he would scare you and yell at you at your mistakes. Half of the time I was not able to understand his english and couldnt understand what was I doing wrong. Plus he is the only teacher for english lessons and they have many many students, so the wait time can be around 2-3weeks at times between two classes.

Overall, I would recommend to stay away from Fahrschule am zoo for english driving lessons. I dont know any other better school, but one should talk to the trainer before booking the school, if possible.

During my driving lessons,

I had to take 7 lessons (1hr 30min each) before my trainer thought I was ready to give the test. I chose to get training in english.
During the test, usually the test is in german, but the examiner was kind and understood engish(luckily). Before the test the trainer asked me some technical quetsions about the car, then we drove around city for some time going in residential neighbourhood, did emergency braking manouever, parking, U-turn manuever, and then drove on autobahn. This is general format for driving test.

But the important points were your alertness about your surroundings, continous looking in mirrors, and also safety towards other road users (Pedestrians & cyclists).

At a stop sign, you should come to a complete stop(3 sec), otherwise you can fail.

Final tip, stay calm, you do not a have set time limit for test. So take your time.

Best of luck for anyone planning to give the test.

Feel free to PM me if you have any additional questions.