Tips for passing a practical driving test

178 posts in this topic

Hi Guys, did my driving test few hours ago. I didn't make any mistake and after 25mins test, it was OVER! I PASSED!

I am supper happy!

Everything cost me about €2500!

I passed both the theory and practical exams about a two months ago on first attempt. I had never driven a car before, but God was good. Everything went smooth. I think with a bit of dedication and calm during exams anyone can do this. I did spend quite some hours doing the questions over and over till I was comfortable. I now drive daily after we bought our first car next day after I got the licence.

You had never driven a car before you took the test, and now your out on the road?

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Post #67 is a an excellent guide to failing the driving test. Exactly everything in that posting was wrong.

Tips?

1. A lot of people on the road for any reason (children etc) = 5 kmh max.

2. Passing a bus which has stopped (also on the opposite side of the road) = 5 kmh max.

3. Parking: 0 kmh (do not release your clutch completely, use brakes if necessary)

4. Zebra crossing: slow down, stop if you see any pedestrian in the vicinity of it, also on the sidewalk at the opposite side of the road.

5. Overtaking cyclists: a cyclist is like a small car (a Smart or VW Beetle), you need the same amount of space as if you were to overtake a Smart. If there is not enough space, you drive behind at 15-20 kmh, keeping a safe distance in front.

6. You drive 28-33 kmh in a 30 kmh zone, but you drive 45-53 kmh in a 50 kmh zone. You should not drive 30 kmh in a 50 kmh zone, this is as bad as speeding. The same outside city limit, your speed should be close to the limit to show that you are aware of it.

I totally lost interest due to my instructors scolding it's getting very difficult for me to satisfy him ik Know driving from past 2 years but in Germany I don't think I will do it

Post #67 is a an excellent guide to failing the driving test. Exactly everything in that posting was wrong.

Tips?

2. Passing a bus which has stopped (also on the opposite side of the road) = 5 kmh max.

Only when both indicators/blinker (hazards) are on, otherwise pass normally, but using caution of course.

I totally lost interest due to my instructors scolding it's getting very difficult for me to satisfy him ik Know driving from past 2 years but in Germany I don't think I will do it

Is this the sort of thing you are used to?

Test in India

Drivers here are expected to reach a somewhat higher standard. If you can't do that, then for all our sakes I suggest you stick to getting the bus. Driving is a skill and a privilege and not something to be taken lightly.

Drivers here are expected to reach a somewhat higher standard. If you can't do that, then for all our sakes I suggest you stick to getting the bus.

I disagree. If you are Indian (Italian, American, Greek) driver you already know how to drive a car technically and know how to stop at traffic lights. Everything else is a responsibility of driving instructor to teach how to drive correctly. No one is born with German driving skills, one has to learn.

@crazydriving is probably just impatient, it takes about at least 6 months to get a driving license in Germany. Instead of complaining "my instructor will never be satisfied" one can simply start asking what is wrong, at each driving lesson.

Note that on small islands of Italy or Spain the driving test looks exactly as like your video due to complete absence of traffic, but their license is valid in the whole EU!

Driving in India only means you probably could skip the first one or two lessons about getting the car moving. But everything else is different. We do not have many rules in India. Most Indian drivers I come across when I visit home seem to have a tough time grasping the concept of stopping at a traffic jam or at a red light. We have no concepts of right-of-way, speed limits, overtaking, road safety and the general don't-run-someone-over rule. Sorry for my rant but in my opinion, about 75% of people in India (and 5-10% of people in Germany) deserve to have their licenses taken away.

Even with 2 years of driving in India, you still need to take a few lessons if you want to pass the driving test here. If you are genuinely uncomfortable with your instructor, I'm sure you can address the problem with him/her or even ask for someone else.

I wanted to do the B96 this year but still did not get the time to do it. While the B96 is enough for what I need, I do not think I would pass the full one easily, I've been driving with smallish trailers (to carry motorbikes) for like 20 years and I still suck at reversing.

Don't lose heart. Im also going through the motions and it aint fun at all, not after 17 years of driving and 15 years of selling new cars at Honda, Suzuki and General Motors.

TTers, thanks for this very helpful thread and indeed for the heads up. My country of origin has no reciprocal arrangement whatsoever with Deutschland, therefore, swapping my D.L comes with the whole shebang of 10 on the road lessons; eye, theory and practical tests AND first aid training. Total cost is a whopping 1000 EUR, equivalent to cost of importing a small Japanese pre-owned car in my home country- Ouch!

why capital "AND", first aid course is the easiest part, you just spend 8 hours and get a certificate.

In my town companies which provide this course also offer eye test and photo, so you do everything in one day.

i mean i already did 20 plus classes in and first time I will give test with instructor.if I fail then second time I will do myself?what is procedure for this? Any idea