Tips for passing a practical driving test

171 posts in this topic

It depends on your nationality and if you have license from your country. Give some more details and then people will be able to give you more info.

There is little relationship between actual driving and the test. I sincerely believe they (the examiners) want to know that you have the right "mind-set" to drive, as well as knowing the rules for driving. I know a 19 year old who has failed twice so far, each time for reasons that seem laughable to non-sensical. So I'm going with social engineering.

When I asked my 'instructor' what the examiner wanted to see he said:

- both hands on the wheel (no turning it by grabbing it 'under', always have your knuckles up)

- cover your mirrors, check them all the time to convey that you have good awareness of the situation.

- Know the ground rules of driving (no driving over red, stop signs, zebra crossings when there are people there, etc.)

- Follow all road signs.

- Drive smoothly. "We will make no world records today." (The examiner told me this as well.)

I've driven for twenty+ years (in the US) have my motorcycle permit for the US (took the MSF courses and etc.) and found the whole process of transferring my drivers license from the US to here a monumental, almost operatic, pain in the ass.

That said, I'm glad to have taken the tests as it has forced me to think like a German driver and as I'm surrounded by them, well, at least I have a better idea of what they should be thinking.

I just passed the practice driving test and now I have a license. Thank God!!! It was my first attempt. Before I took the test, I was quite desperate to find out how things were going to be on the test day and some comments on this forum enlightened me a bit and I thought I could share my experience with you.

I used to think that the examiners were extremely strict and probably trained not to like anyone. But now I think even if they are strict, I strongly believe they're just doing their job. They are to ensure that whoever drives on a German road, at least, knows the basic rules of driving. If anyone can think of it this way, one could control his/her nerves when the examiner is sitting behind him/her whilst the test is ongoing.

My German is not that good, but I don't think you need to be good in German before you could take this test. It is just simple "next junction/traffic light, turn left or right or go straight". He will explain this before the test starts.

Before we started mine he first asked me of what is very important about car tires that any driver should know. Luckily, I still remembered the theory stuff so told him about the profile and a bit about the tube inside the tire. My advice is that, you should know a bit about a car: the lighting systems, the stuff in the hood/bonnet(how to check the level of engine oil e.t.c), the tires and anything you could think about maintaining a car.

We started from one of the inner cities where one could drive for 50km/h and went on the autobahn and outer city and back to the inner city. What I think he was looking for is how I change the car's speed according to which area I am driving in. So "Wilster" and "End of Wilster" and "Autobahn signs" are very important and so are the corresponding maximum speeds. On the autobahn, he wanted to see how I overtake and change lanes and also how I used the acceleration lane. Whether I accelerate good enough on this lane before changing direction to the main lanes on the autobahn. Similarly, with the deceleration lane. On the Autobahn, there are times you would see a speed limit but only valid for certain period of the day. He wanted to see if as a driver, I could see these changes from a distance.

I spent about 70% of the 45min in the inner city, and I did drive in 30km/h zones and here he wanted to see if I'll drive atmost 30km/h, recognizing einbahnstraße and using the right direction when turning left, observing right before left and Give way signs, Giving priorities on a crossroad and observing no-entry roads and e.t.c. I made one mistake here. I almost entered into a no entry road, but luckily I realized it right in the middle of the crossroad, so I quickly turned right. I came across a similar thing a few minutes later and this time around I showed to him that I'll not make the same mistake twice.

I did a reverse parking and then finally an emergency braking

My Overall advice:

- Making a mistake whilst doing this test is inevitable. Some examiners will make you realize that you've made an obvious mistake right away, but how you put yourself together afterwards is what counts here. He could give another chance, same scenario to see if you'd make the same mistake

- Master all the road signs. If you can't tell what any road sign is, then you're not read for the test

- You should be good at changing gears according to the speed of the car(For Beginners). You don't want the car stalling or stopping in the middle of a huge intersection, whilst your examiner is behind. I think your examiner will fail you right away and pick a taxi home or back to the office.

- At 30km/h Zones, observe priority signs, stop signs, right before left(Let the examiner know that you're looking if a car is coming from the right. Move your body a bit), einbahnstraße (directions to turn left are very very important)

- Giving considerations to pedestrians/cyclists

- Shoulder blick, when changing lanes or turning

- Letting the examiner know that you're conscious of the road, by once in a while looking through the rear-view mirror and side mirrors.

- Sticking to your lane whenever you have to left or right on an intersection or a complex crossroad.

- Practice more, even if you are an experienced driver.

If I could think about other things, I'll add them later

Good Luck to you all!!!

Hi guys, does anyone know where I could buy a first aid kit and a reflective triangle for my new car? Thanks a lot in advance.

I passed my driving exam 2 days back and the tips on this site enlightened me quite a bit. Thanks to all the TTers.

I would like to share my experience here. I think there is a bit of luck factor with these exams, my examiner was really nice and kind (first impression). I started on a bad note, bundle of nerves, didn't remove the handbrake and started driving, it beeped in 2 sec and then I realized and immdly removed the handbrake, I thought he would fail me right away. I couldn't parallel park in one attempt, needed two and despite that he passed me. Overall I drove very well without any other mistakes in all the narrow roads around Schwabing, Neuhausen and Gern. Some examiners do allow small mistakes and some don't....

These are the situations I encountered while driving in 45 mins

50 zone

30 zone:

left before right,

narrow roads with 2 sides parking,

STOP sign or green arrow sign drawn allowing you to turn, always stop completely,

if the signal is yellow and you are 10 meters away always go and 40 meters away stop,

overtake cyclists keeping good distance 1,5 meters

MVV buses:drive at walking speed while overtaking buses and if the bus indicates left, always allow the bus to pass

while changing lanes, first look in the side mirrors, indicate, shoulder blick and then change lanes

make sure you look in the rear view mirror and side mirrors from time to time

So happy I am over and done with it. If you are a beginner, you could need around EUR 2,100 - 2,500, at least that's what I spent. Hope this information is helpful.

I had my practical test yesterday. streets were covered by heavy snow which add luck to the test!.

the examiner needs to know if you are able to drive and in a safety way for you and the others... in the begining i forgot to drop the handbrake but the instructor pushed me in my right hand to remember. the exmainer was speaking in english when he recognized i can not speak good deutsch. i drove in 50 km/hr streets, but all cars were slow (35 km/hr) and i had to follow them. this is the luck, i did not have to think a lot about rules, i have only to follow the slow cars in front... he did not ask me to go to autobahn or to park or even drive in 30 km/hr streets.

we just took the way from TUEV to the driving school. after 20 minutes, we arrived the driving school and he said congratulation!

and the three of us went inside for coffee :)

I know i am lucky, but this is because of the weather and the very easy examiner.

for those who do not like to take the exam in winter... think twice... it is better than taking it in clear weather and streets are open, which means you have to consider all the signs and adapt to them... but in winter, welcome to slow lazy drivers at which the only rule is to go slowly and stop by red and stop signs.

good luck for all!

Hey Guys,

I had my driving test today. and failed :( at 13:30 when schools are closed and streets are full of children!

I have driving licence from Iran and drove more than 10 years in Tehran, that fucking bussy city which there is no space to crowl even a tiny bike.

I had no accident in whole my life!

I thought that only 2 couple of hours for driving lessen and practice could be enough!

But this test is something else. I was full of stress today.

I drove almost good but every corner of the town there were children who were standing just in the middle of the street so I had to observe them and let them to clear the street in front of me. That made me more nervus and I forgot to fully stop at one of the stop lines. And my examiner's face changed from that pint on. And even he mentioned as an irony that perhaps you don't have stop line in Iran. But this was not whole the story.

Then we drove to a village. Examiner asked me to park beside an alone car in a very abundant park place. I have never seen in my life a park place which there is no car in it. So I parked very fast beside that alone parked car. Examiner got so angry and told me turn off and get out of the car.

He said even for me was too fast this kind of parking. How can you observe a child if come behind you? I said sorry but in this desert there is no even an existance!

Anyway I faild and pissed off totaly.

I wanted to save a bit money. and don't go for 10h driving lessons, but it didn't work out. I even pissed 215 EUR for nothing!

But reading your experiences helped me to calm dawn. otherwise I was about to jump from the window to the street!

Cross your fingers for my second turn!

@oranus

Sorry to hear that! How did you take the test without having to take classes? Did you have to register at a driving school or you took the exam directly at TUV?

Good luck with your next try!

Just wanted to post my successful driving test last week since reading about others experience on this thread helped me too

Place: frankfurt main

Test duration: 35 - 40 min

Language: English / German

The test started with the tester asking me to turn the ignition on followed with the question about the four turned lights on the hud. I got one wrong though he asked me what will I do when i don't know such answers. I told him I will look up in the manual (correct answer)

We started driving on the autobahn. The acceleration lane was important. I did good here though the other car on the autobahn sped further and didn't let me in.. I stopped accelerating and resumed as soon as he passed me. I actually was praised for it later.

Loads of city driving in heddernheim and kalbach. Both the areas I knew good during my training. I went into a no-exit street and was asked to reverse. While turning back I forgot the indicator. Though I quickly remembered while turning left. The tester smiled and told me that I should have done this before as well. (I got the feeling he could have failed me if I forgot to do it twice)

Finally parallel parking didn't go well which was ironical as this was the only thing I did great in my training regularly. My mistake was that I chose a tight spot behind a car instead of in front. That could have been unfortunate as I misunderstood the instructor's words. I tried twice but couldn't do it clean. The tester started telling me to listen to my instructor. ..and then asked me what I wanted to do. Finally he told me to just proceed. I was really disappointed at this point. Just before entering tuv we did emergency brakes.

The tester told me that overall I did good and also pointed out that my car handling was very good.. Also told me my mistake in parallel parking (choosing a tight spot). Another point he mentioned was that I didn't accelerate enough on my second entry to autobahn ( I was in 5th gear) at 70 when the acceleration lane began and didn't switch to 3rd to accelerate (this caused a little inconvenience to the cars behind me).

The important point is to remain calm. The testers are not out there to "get us"..and in my case even gave helpful suggestions as the situations arose.

Hello fellow TTers,

Today I passed my practical driving test from the first attempt, I used to come to this forum every once in a while and read your reviews to help me better understand the exam environment and the big mistakes that makes you fail.

I wanted to share my experience in this, so that it might help someone who is about or planning to take the test.

In total, I took 6 hours driving practice, drove on Autobahn once. Up till yesterday I was making big mistakes that fails you!! And my driving instructor was going Banana!...it even went to the extent that he told me “you will not make it tomorrow!”.

It doesn’t matter how well or bad you do in your driving lessons….all that matter is what you do in these God damned 45 mins!

Test preparation is not only driving practice!, a big portion of it is in your mind!. Try to teach yourself various situations and what to look for while driving…even before you get into the car.

I found a link from TÜV, for what the examiner look for during the test, it was helpful.

http://www.tuev-sued.de/fuehrerschein-pruefung/die-fuehrerscheinpruefung/tipps-fuer-eine-erfolgreiche-fuehrerscheinpruefung

So, to the actual test:

• We started by some vehicle awareness questions, where is your high beam, etc….

• He explains how the test will go and how he will say his directions in German

• It’s really strange to drive away without someone (instructor) telling you good or bad or this is wrong….its total silence, just the instructions from the examiner are heard in the vehicle. This can make you wonder how you are doing in the test since you have no feedback, but don’t let it get into your head

• Blink…Blink and Blink again wherever you are turning the steering wheel, and DO NOT forget to switch it off.

• One thing regarding the speed limit that I was planning to look at the GPS to see it in case I missed to see it on the street….The funny thing is that the GPS is OFF during the exam 

• Do some acting!...blind spot glances, looking in your mirrors every once in a while, over acting your attention to pedestrians and cyclists and priority roads. He needs to know that you know the rules

• When coming to dead end or a no entry street, you must ask the examiner which way he want to go……you fail if you don’t ask, because that means you don’t know the signs

• After you finished, he just hands the certificate to you

Good luck in your test,

Saamo.

Hey Guys,

I had my driving test today. and failed at 13:30 when schools are closed and streets are full of children!

I have driving licence from Iran and drove more than 10 years in Tehran, that fucking bussy city which there is no space to crowl even a tiny bike.

I had no accident in whole my life!

I thought that only 2 couple of hours for driving lessen and practice could be enough!

But this test is something else. I was full of stress today.

I drove almost good but every corner of the town there were children who were standing just in the middle of the street so I had to observe them and let them to clear the street in front of me. That made me more nervus and I forgot to fully stop at one of the stop lines. And my examiner's face changed from that pint on. And even he mentioned as an irony that perhaps you don't have stop line in Iran. But this was not whole the story.

Then we drove to a village. Examiner asked me to park beside an alone car in a very abundant park place. I have never seen in my life a park place which there is no car in it. So I parked very fast beside that alone parked car. Examiner got so angry and told me turn off and get out of the car.

He said even for me was too fast this kind of parking. How can you observe a child if come behind you? I said sorry but in this desert there is no even an existance!

Anyway I faild and pissed off totaly.

I wanted to save a bit money. and don't go for 10h driving lessons, but it didn't work out. I even pissed 215 EUR for nothing!

But reading your experiences helped me to calm dawn. otherwise I was about to jump from the window to the street!

Cross your fingers for my second turn!

How did you bypass the compulsory lessons (5 country roads,4 autobahn,3 night), I also think you have to do a minimum of 6 school lessons as well, plus eye test and maybe a First Aid course(I didn't have to do the First Aid)?

Maybe it is a conversion of his license from his country and the swap requires only the tests.

Yeah maybe, I was adding the motorcycle group to my full UK licence.

I just done the heavy motorbike test here a few months ago, I had a UK licence for over 22 years, had to do minimum 6 school lessons, compulsory 5 country roads, 4 Autobahn and 3 night driving lessons, then additional town/city driving, passed both tests first time, total cost for everything ended up being slightly over 2,400 yoyos :(

They sure know how to charge you here.

Exactly.

I had the full UK car licence for 22 years, done the bike test here in Germany.

Maybe it is a conversion of his license from his country and the swap requires only the tests.

probably the case.

Still, it was kindof innocent (or verging on stupid) to think that driving in Iran, or any other country can be mapped to driving in germany.

And, that experience of driving over 20 years is a preparation for a driving test, where they have their own version of what is "right".

Anyone who has taken an exam or test or interview of any type will know that success is as much to do with being prepared for what you are expected to know, and how you display this knowledge, and how you hide what they dont want to know; over actually being brilliant or intelligent or competent or whatever.

Over 16theory lessons and all the road time you'll know whats important and what isnt.

I have a german licence since a few years ago and am driving the same roads I did my test on every week, but theres no way I would do the test again (say just for the fun of it or whatever!) without getting a load of lessons, as a test isnt real world driving. Its an act, and it needs practice and tuning.

2400 EUR for the motorbike license is painfully expensive. I did my car license from scratch even if I had many many years of experience. The total cost for only mandatory hours, plus both tests was around 750 EUR. Unfortunately I failed the test the first time because I was full of myself and I did not listen to my instructor and I drove like the 'experience driver' I am. I've got failed because supposedly I did not check the mirrors and I did not secure the situations enough. I took the test again and that time I put a bit of an act and I moved the head to every mirror and turned my head fully for shoulder checks, because as my instructor said, that is what they expect. The total costs increased to close to 1000 EUR.

Thanks everyone here!

This thred was very helpful.

In my driving test, my examiner was friendly. I made some smalll mistakes, still he passed me.

Search youtube for some lessons. The vidoes were from U.S and U.K but they are very useful