Tips for passing a practical driving test

171 posts in this topic

Converting my Indian licence, passed the theory test. Instructor told me that I shall be ready for the exam if I manage to correct two more things.

1. While changing gear, I leave the clutch a little too quick - which makes the vehicle jump. I manage to do it well mostly smooth, but sometimes real mess up.
  2. STOP at stop signs. I come to almost stand still - but never really STILL.

I am releasing the clutch with my heel on the ground and using the heel as a hinge/fulcrum.

Would it be better if I used my whole leg while releasing it? I fear that it will make me lose my fine adjustment. (As if I have it all other time wink.gif )

Any inputs?

Sands.

1. Full leg lift. You can't have full control with just lifting your toes.

2. Well just press down on the brake pedal until the vehicle stops otherwise you are going to fail.

i fail my driving test today i still cant belive it , how many lesson did i need to go for another test? please let me know thanks.

i fail my driving test today i still cant belive it , how many lesson did i need to go for another test? please let me know thanks.

No additional lessons are mandatory, but you better take a couple of lessons to practice what you did wrong. What was the reason you failed?

In Australia, I failed thrice. Each time I undertook the practical driving test at different location. I thought I might get lucky with one of the instructors. I passed it in the fourth attempt. Fourth time, I did almost everything correct except not doing shoulder checks while changing lanes because I had those special small mirrors in my car for this purpose. However, the rules say that you have to do shoulder check regardless. I realized it during the last 10 minutes of my exam. In the last 10 min did shoulder check whenever needed. The instructor later told me that he would have failed me if I wouldn't have corrected it. Keep going mate!

yesterday I failed my driving exam with second attempt

I passed the written exam on my first attempt,

dont know what to do anymore I drive good with the driving teacher

when those guys are on the back I go nut,

i am 7months pregnant stressed out crying my eyes out

as if there is no tomorrow,

Does anybody know how many times I can take the exam?

How about you answer the questions we ask, I am not really good at guessing. What are the reasons you failed both times? The tester gives you a paper stating the reasons and explains you why you failed.

And if you are in your 7th month of pregnancy and this is giving you stress, maybe you should consider taking a break and doing it after the delivery.

P.S., You can make the test as many times as you want, AFAIK. But this is the kind of questions you can ask your driving teacher/school, that's why you are paying for.

i passed my practical test on 23dezember what a relief,

thanks to all who answer my questions and to my husband who was always there for me giving me hope.

Hi,

I took my practical test last week. It was my first attempt. I was fully prepared and my teacher used to call me Profi. But on the day of test (with the examiner behind), I made a lot of mistakes which I never did until then.

These were the situations in short the examiner took me through.

1. Landstrasse driving

2. City driving

3. Parallel parking

4. Reverse parking

5. Signal with painted green arrow

6. One way street

7. Turning at crossing with two lanes to left

8. Street without priority (right before left)

9. Pedestrian zone

And below are the list of mistakes I did.

1. Right before left missed at one place (don't remember where)

2. Almost drove into pedestrian zone once - had to reverse to come out

3. Missed turning right at one place and had to drive straight - Bus stop at the curve

4. When there were two lanes to left drove on the left one

5. Overtaking was done too late

6. Forgot to lock steering after switching off the car

7. Missed waiting for pedestrians at a curve (no signal, was coming out of a parking place)

8. Was waiting in the middle to turn left and waited too long

9. Waiting too long when there was a green arrow once

But in the end... I passed!! :)

So guys its not all that tough. Keep your cool and drive.

Nims

Hello,

Here are the Tips I used to get through the exam (2nd time) :

1. STOP at

RED Light

ORANGE Light

STOP Sign

2. Be Very Careful

- Turning left in one way street from 2 way street - pay attention to which lane to get into

- give more than sufficient distance to everyone, do not try to sneek in

- turning left without green light - oncoming traffic has priority

- Give priority to Right before left

- Give priority to pedestrians

- Give priority to Bicyclists

That is all!

All the best.

Hey all,

I wonder for those who take written exam in English, in which language does the tester use for the practical driving exam? Is it also in English, or in German?

The practical test can be taken only in German. But it is not that complicated, your instructor can prepare you.

The practical test can be taken only in German.

Back in 1983 I took my glider pilot's practical* test in German - there is only you & the examiner in the plane.

The practical exam "just" involves 3 flights with the examiner - on the 3rd one I had a cable break at decision height.

I passed.

*The theoretical test was also in German only - multiple choice.

My wife and me both took our German driving licence tests on the 23rd of December, 2010 and we both passed in the first attempt by God's grace. It is a pain in the posterior to get a German driving licence because they make you go through a lot of crap to get one. We both have had foreign driving licences for more than 7-8 years but we could not trade in our licences for German ones.

Tips: Well, if you already know driving before you apply for a German one, you may have to unlearn some stuff. I had this habit of driving with one hand at times. This is a strict no no during the test. Then, my instructor told me that I need to look at my mirror every 5 seconds or so which is not what people normally do after they pass the test. Anyways, take the classes your instructor tells you to take even though you feel that you are prepared because you do not want to piss him off and it is a business here. You have to go through all the motions. I thought that I would be a nervous wreck during the test but I was not. Try to stay calm and the examiner usually does not complicate things during the test. He or she will usually speak to you in German but clearly and you do not need to be an expert in German to understand him or her. Last but not the least, try to make sure that the examiner sees you looking at the mirrors during a turning manoeuver et al

Then,hope for the best. My wife and me drove at our best during our respective tests and I credit it to divine intervention but for those of you who do not believe in God or whatever, stay calm and do your best.

Tips: Well, if you already know driving before you apply for a German one, you may have to unlearn some stuff. I had this habit of driving with one hand at times.

Same here. And the one that was even harder for me, reversing with both hands on the wheel. My instructor laughed when I reversed the first time.

Now I drive with only one hand most of the time :ph34r:

Below are reasons for two of my friends who failed in their first attempts.

- One did not cared about yellow lines in a construction site (Baustelle) and drove above the new lines (perhaps thinking that old white lines still hold).. causing the examinar to fail him right away.

- One remembered only one thing "Take a shoulder view (schulterblick) before turning". He stopped at a signal and took the shoulder view when stopping but didnt took another shoulder view when signal went green, i.e. turned without taking another shoulder view. He was failed right away.

Hope it helps somebody.

Krieg,

It is different when we do what we want after we pass the test :P Sometimes, I think the whole examination thing is a bit rigid. I mean come on: How many of us will look at the mirror every five seconds when we drive? My instructor told me that sometimes, it is easier to turn with one hand on the wheel if one had the control but he added that in Germany, it was a strict no-no in theory or at least during the test. My instructor is German

In Berlin, there are so many yellow lines given that there are so many construction sites or what the Germans called Baustelle. It is really annoying but there is no way around it. You got to concentrate for the test.

Hi Guys, thanx for the tips and tricks. I just passed my test 2 hours ago in my first attempt.

@mathew7aby I had same problems since I drove in Pakistan for almost 8 years I had to get rid of my one hand on the steering wheel habit.

My test was only for 30 min, the examinar came late almost 10 min then he asked me about the Lights and Stuff and then we started. In the whole process my teacher and examinar were talking about a funeral my teacher attended yesterday and later about a funny exam the examinar had yesterday and during this all my stress was gone. But dont take it lightly if the examinar is a good friend of your teacher he always keeps an eye on whats happening and wont let you go if you do a mistake specially sholterblick thing. I drove on motorway twice and in the 50 zone rest of my time. In between he asked me to do reverse parallel parking and before that when i was going to go stright I accidently pushed some light buttons and turned the Fullbeam on and the examinar asked be to look at the lights controll panel and i turned it off. In the end he told me I did some speeding once or twice and it will cost me more fuel so dont do it and congratulations you passed the test.

what a relief...

GoodLuck whoever is taking the test prepare well...

Regards

do the foreigners need to to take both practical and theoritical tests? How long are tests? I was informed by the lady from the office that I need to do the frst-aid test too?