Tips for passing a practical driving test

174 posts in this topic

if my memory reads me right then i heard it from someone if one fails the practical test for the 3rd time then they need to have taken a IDIOTE TEST before they can appear for the 4th time... is that correct?

btw, i had posted earlier in this thread and have successfully passed my practical test on Friday... yuhooo... what a relief. :)

Koenig

i heard, some examinors ignore small mistakes but may not be in all cases

Thats true. in my case, everything rolled fine. The last left turn to TÜF i was waiting for an oncoming motorbike. Then turned left with no problem. Neither for me nor for the car, but i did this in the 2nd gear. The examiner yelled that it should be done with the 2nd gear. But then he was already smiling to let me know that his yelling was a joke.

i dont know if it is a grave error? but he still let me pass the exam :)

Hi Man

Sorry for your problems, I certainly know what you are going through, as I myself failed 1 time.

The mistakes you failed for, are certainly mistakes, but doesn't sound to me mistake enough to fail you, unless you made some more mistakes in the test. I think there are only 3-4 types of mistakes in a practical exam which will certainly make you fail, like

1. Didnt stop at RED, STOP (or over step STOP line)or give away to Police, Ambulance etc.

2. Failing to give away to priority traffic.

3. Shulter blick during turning, changing lanes etc.

4. Continously driving at low speed like 30 in a 50 area

Any of 1st 3 will make you fail (did I miss anything?), because you might make a fatal accident in those cases.

If you made other mistakes, then it should need 2-3 small mistakes to fail you. So I guess your Driving Examiner is pretty harsh. Read the paper that your examiner gave, make sure you dont make those mistakes again.In any case, your driving instructor should know the examiners well. So tell her/him to make some "Practise Exams", take 4-5 practise exams if you are not confident. Do some Google to see what type of mistakes people made to fail.

And dont stop now, cause you are now at the pick of your skills, may be a 1-2 or 3 weeks pause will be good, but its not a good idea to stop completely.

GOOD Luck

Hi Man

Sorry for your problems, I certainly know what you are going through, as I myself failed 1 time.

The mistakes you failed for, are certainly mistakes, but doesn't sound to me mistake enough to fail you, unless you made some more mistakes in the test. I think there are only 3-4 types of mistakes in a practical exam which will certainly make you fail, like

1. Didnt stop at RED, STOP (or over step STOP line)or give (a)way to Police, Ambulance etc.

2. Failing to give way to priority traffic.

3. Shulter blick during turning, changing lanes etc.

4. Continously driving at low speed like 30 in a 50 area

Any of 1st 3 will make you fail (did I miss anything?), because you might make a fatal accident in those cases.

If you made other mistakes, then it should need 2-3 small mistakes to fail you. So I guess your Driving Examiner is pretty harsh. Read the paper that your examiner gave, make sure you dont make those mistakes again.In any case, your driving instructor should know the examiners well. So tell her/him to make some "Practise Exams", take 4-5 practise exams if you are not confident. Do some Google to see what type of mistakes people made to fail.

And dont stop now, cause you are now at the pick of your skills, may be a 1-2 or 3 weeks pause will be good, but its not a good idea to stop completely.

GOOD Luck

Not exactly true... I know a German who failed who did not wait enough for the cyclist to pass when turning right, and that was the only mistake she made.

Thats a "Failed to Give Away to priority traffic", a big mistake, which can cause an accident. I think that was my number 2.

But in anycase, its difficult to say for which your examiner will fail you. They can fail you for anything they want, there is no judge who will talk on your favour. I have heard many other stories where one falied for only 1 small mistake, what can you say, suck it :(

You guys seem to have had some pretty hardcore testers. My guy was awesome, just chattered away to me whilst I drove. Then when I had finished he told me I was always speeding, and not giving due care to cyclists (but, hey, they can get fucked, roads are for cars) and gave me a pass.

hello TT,

Now that i have got my PKW drivers licence, i will be having my Motorbike practical test in a few weeks. I am getting my Drivers licence converted hence dont require any "Sonderfahrt". Anyways, how different is Motorbike practical test from that of a Car? Any tips as to what i must watchout for specailly when taking the test otherthan the usual rules?

cheers,

LH

You have to do some stupid additional test to prove you can control the bike, it includes some slalom and the most "difficult" thing is driving very very slow avoiding having to put your foot down for support. If you can control a bike you won't have any problem.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to share exprience of driving test , today i got mine , first 2 times i coudnt make it but 3rd one i did , i feel actually examiner want to see how responsible driver you are , everyone knows the rules for driving but while exam we get it messed up in order to avoide small mistakes , and as a result we could miss something big , for example in my first attempt i tried to over take a cyclist in 30 zone and i missed one Right before Left , examiner and my teacher said i should better stay behind if its not worth ,

today while driving i was thinking if i would be a driving class teacher what i would suggest to my student on a certain point where i am confused and it helped to remember the rules which are important plus my teacher's teachings , so didnt made any mistake ,

one good thing my driving teacher said was we can take 1000 hours of learning but still how you drive those 45 mintues totally depends on your own phase . so those 45 minutes be confident that you have the ability to drive as examiner wants , and trust in your driving .

well , hope you will get your license .

TIP: If the examiner is very friendly with your teacher while exam DO NOT think he/she will give you discount because of that if you missed to give priority , even if its your 5th time .

i am very bad with changing gear can anyone gave me tip on how to do it better my driving teacher is not helping all he do is calling me names.

if all he does is calling names when you dont get the correct gear, instead of helping you. You will pay much more and learn nothing...

Converting my Indian licence, passed the theory test. Instructor told me that I shall be ready for the exam if I manage to correct two more things.

1. While changing gear, I leave the clutch a little too quick - which makes the vehicle jump. I manage to do it well mostly smooth, but sometimes real mess up.
  2. STOP at stop signs. I come to almost stand still - but never really STILL.

I am releasing the clutch with my heel on the ground and using the heel as a hinge/fulcrum.

Would it be better if I used my whole leg while releasing it? I fear that it will make me lose my fine adjustment. (As if I have it all other time ;) )

Any inputs?

And, I would be taking the exam in German. Any tips on that?

(The transcripts of my driving lessons would be real funny.

I don't understand half of what my instructor says in his thick-bayerisch-german! and I ask him all the time "Wie bitte?")

Sands.

Changing driving school/wait for some time/giving up?

I'd think about changing the driving school or the instructor. Maybe ask around and find out what the success rate of the different schools is like. I don't think a good instructor should be suggesting that you sit the test if you're not ready.

I failed the test twice back home. First time, I just wasn't ready; second time, I thought I'd done OK, but failed. No idea why, as they didn't bother telling you why you failed back then.

Perhaps an intensive driving course could be the answer to finally passing the test. Has anyone heard whether these courses are any good?

I'd think about changing the driving school or the instructor.

Changing the school in the middle of the thing is a PITA, you have to do the new contract and inform the amt about it. I do not know if there is waiting time for an answer as well. And you have to pay, not much though, around 10 EUR.