Asian food shops / Indian grocery stores

70 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a good Indian supermarket - preferably in the area around Hauptbahnhof?

I am looking to get all the basics to cook my own curries but also want a few of the other bits and pieces: naan breads, papadoms, chutneys, etc.

Cheers!

TT guide crosslink: Asian food stores

I just walked in the door after shopping at Kohinoor. I've purchased just about every spice known to man in that place in the last two weeks plus sauces, peppers, nan bread, you name it, they have it. Great place! Nice prices too.

Asia Feinkost Haus

Van Hoi

Augustenstrasse 51

80333 Munich

This place is very good too. It has Chinese / Thai / Indian / Arabic / Everyland. Big as your average Tengelmann, clean, bright and friendly. The guys / gals in the shop are open (to the point of embarassment) to questions about cooking. They even have a cool room (i.e. cool as in temperature) with fresh herbs and exotic veg.

post-16-1101405707.jpg

There is one down Leonrodstrasse just off Rotkreuzplatz. We buy all our Thai/Cambodian stuff there.

Jeremy

I would also recommend Kohinoor mentioned above.

Here is a list of other Indian Grocery shops around munich. Slightly expensive but easy access and they have most of the things you would need under the same roof.

Asia Markt

Bayer Strasse 2

Tel: (089) 55 36 19

Asien Bazar

Donnersberger Strasse 38

Tel: (089) 13 17 03

Haschemi Markt

Bayer Strasse 8

Tel: (089) 55 02 87 49

Indian Store

Schleißheimer Str. 9

Tel: (089) 57004194

Kashmir Bazar

Schwanthaler Strasse 24

Tel: (089) 54 82 86 31

Hong Kong Market

Rosenheimer Strasse 30 (in Motoroma shopping complex)

Tel: (089) 48 06 81 98

Punjabi GmbH

Birnauerstr. 12

Tel: (089) 32 21 03 19 / 20

See also the photo below of:

Asia Feinkost Haus, Hohenzollernplatz, Schwabing

post-16-1101406206.jpg

talking of Indian Groceries - has anyone found silver leaves in any of the indian shops here. They are really thin leaves of silver used for decorating desserts. i've had a look in some indian shops myself - but so far no luck :(

anyone seen them??? :unsure:

Hi all,

I just did a 2 day indian cookery course and the guy (Mr. Kumar) was fab. He recommends the "Asien Bazar" in Donnersbergerstrasse, especially for getting fresh stuff. Also the shop a couple of stops up from the HBF on the 20/21 tram, can't remember the name, something beginning with Z?

They guy running the course also has a delivery business and runs a cool stand at both Tollwoods (starts mid-June), called Sathi

I can totally recommend his cook book and the courses, I have never eaten so many different, yummy indian dishes in my life! He does them with the VHS and also via his website.

Dear all,

I went to Tollwood yesterday, and there is an Indian guy selling spices (Indian and some Asian) there. I can't remember which side of it, as I always get hopelessly lost when I'm there.. but you should find it. Also, there's an Indian and Aruyevedian (? sorry, really can't remember how to spell) food stall.

UrbanAngel

I'm in need of some spices, and I'm considering going to one of the shops above. As many TTers are probably aware, I'm an Ebay addict, so naturally I check the prices of everything there. I particularly want to buy:

fenugreek seeds

turmeric

garam masala

chili powder

ginger

I'm sure I can probably pick up at least the last two at the grocery store, and I can get the first three from a single Ebay seller for €1.50 each (for 100g) plus a euro or so for shipping.

I just want to know if it's worth buying on Ebay (to avoid the trek into town) or whether the prices are better in one of the Asian shops. How much would one pay for such things at these shops?

I paid €1.30 for the stuff I got recently, but I've seen the prices vary from €1.10 to €1.80.

By the way, there's a new asian grocery store opened recently on Rosenheimerstr. at the corner with Schleibingerstr. Directly opposite the Hilton hotel. It's got a Thai-sounding name, but they have all the Indian and Chinese stuff aswell. They even have frozen frogs' legs :huh:

I believe most of the Turkish shops have Halal meat. There are a number of Turkish supermarkets near the Hauptbahnhof, for instance, in the Landwehrstraße and Paul-Heyse-Str. as well as in Giesing and no doubt other parts of town.

Does anybody know where I could find a big Asian store in Munich? Possibly downtown or close. Thank you.

Topics merged by admin

There is a nice new big store at Hohenzollernplatz. I use it all the time. There is also one (of the same chain) at the corner of Augustenstrasse and Gabelbergerstr which is closer to donwtown. Alot of people swear by 2 Asian stores in a complex on the Rosenheimerstr SBahn stop. Too hard to get to for me...

There is also a new one by the hbf. They have the normal selection for sauces and spices, but their refrigerated section is not that impressive.

Which place would be the best bet for specifically Korean ingredients? A big plus if they carry fresh perilla leaves, have ready-sliced beef and make their own kim chi.

Thanks!

Hi

I have heard there is big Indian Grocey shop in North of Munich some where near Am Hart / Milbertshofen.

Can someone provide the complete address / phone number

Thanks

Topics merged by admin

This probably isn't the one you mean, but by the south exit of Milbertshofen U-Bahn station there's a greengrocers called Gretel's Markt which seems to be run by Indians, and they have a small range of Indian food (8-kilo bags of basmati rice, curry sauce etc).