Dr. Isabel Selmair - dental clinic in Schwabing

41 posts in this topic

I would just like to add to the list of wonderful things being said here about Dr. Selmair. I needed a root canal and had let it get pretty bad, largely because I am absolutely petrified of the dentist and have even been known to have miny panic attacks before visits. But my fears turned out to be absolutely unfounded, thanks to this wonderful dentist and her great team. I was vocal about my fears, and was absolutely not patronized for them, but spoken to with respect and comforted. The root canal treatment took about 45 minutes (if not shorter) and did't hurt at all. In fact, the only painful part was when they had to check if my tooth was sensitive to cold with a little Q-tip like swab...but that's a pain I've been living with for the past year, so I really couldn't be too surprised! She numbed it (I didn't even realize the needle was in until I started to feel the numbing effects) and when, during the procedure, I asked for more novicane, she injected it right into the root, so I was gaurenteed to not feel anything...and I didn't. She asked me if I would like to be told what was happening, and was happy to explain everything to me every step of the way. I especially appreciated this, because I didn't feel out of control or in the dark about the proceedure. Having a compotent dentist is wonderful, but when this is coupled with a warm, caring and sympathetic dentist, you really can't keep that kind of thing to yourself! If you're wondering who your new dentist in Munich should be, you don't have to anymore! I've found my new dentist and could not be happier.

The treatment at Mrs. Selmair´s dental clinic was at a very high standard. She knows a lot about veneer technology and bleaching, which was perfect for me, as I always wanted my teeth to look healthier and whiter. Mrs. Selmair´s employees are friendly and welcoming. I felt secure and well looked after. Overall I´d like to say that I´m overwhelmed by her excellent work and I recommend her to anyone in need of dental care. Mrs. Selmair speaks english, french and german fluently.

I've already visited Dr. Selmair twice, and I will be visiting a third time this afternoon. I'm leaving Germany in a little under a week, but I wanted to write something here to communicate both my thanks and awe at the incredible work she has done on my teeth. I was in St. Louis for half a decade before this year, and wasn't financially able to swing going to the dentist for quite some time. (The short version of my very long story is that I was a graduate student with pretty terrible, mandatory student health insurance that didn't include dental.) My teeth wound up riddled with cavities--a couple of them pretty painful--and my wife insisted that I go to the dentist while we in Munich, since we finally had some insurance to cover it. I was a little insecure about trying to use my German to explain everything going on in my mouth, so we sought out an English-speaking dentist. Dr. Selmair's name was the one I kept coming back to, and her practice was the one I called. I'm glad I did. My two trips to her have been the calmest experiences I've ever had at any dentist's office. She's thorough, competent, and obviously cares a great deal about the well-being of patients. I would recommend her not only to English speakers seeking a dentist, but to anyone in the Munich area.

Back again...I wrote a review of Dr. Selmair last year, raving about her treatment of my root canal, and I just have to add one more long-overdue comment about the treatment I've been receiving this summer for some gaps in my teeth. I always had very small spaces between my teeth, with a fairly noticeable gap between my two front ones. Not enough to be really awful but enough that people noticed it about me and it bothered me. After the treatment for my root canal, which I'm still so, so happy with, Dr. Selmair was kind and present enough in our consultations to sense that the gaps were really something that was bothering me. We discussed my options and even found a way to noninvasively fill them, the same way you would fill a cavity...even in a way that would be covered by my insurance! I jumped at it. The top three gaps were filled within about an hour (the bottom ones I'll have to do when I get back to Germany, as I've been out of the country for the last three months). I don't want to sound silly, but I actually teared up a bit in the office when she handed me a mirror to see my new smile for the first time. I can't tell you what a comfort it was to not only have a dentist who was intuitive enough to anticipate her patient's needs, but to work so steadfastly and deliver the kind of result I've been wishing for my whole life. She and her assistant seemed so genuinely happy with how happy I was reacting that I just thought "wow...these people really love their job." It's the kind of atmosphere you wish you could have with all of your doctors. I cannot sing this dentist's praises highly enough. I smile now with more confidence than I've ever had in my life and that is a gift that Dr. Selmair and her team have given to me. I can't wait to have the bottom ones done this Fall when I get back!!

I have had so may difficulties with my oral health all my life, and I was scared once I came to Germany to find a good place with good quality, and with service in english. Then I look around, on internet and I had difficulties to find a nice place. I was kind of hopeless, and then I found Dr. Selmair. From the very beginning she and all the team were really good. First, it was a pretty reasonable time to get an appointment, considering that it is a praxis both english and german. The day of my firs appointment, I arrived to the place I was amazed for their service, all of them are very kind, not because it's their job, they do it for real. Also, the place is clear, full of light, of color, and even more. gives you this feeling of cleanness, exactly what you would like to have if you go to the dentist. I waited just for a while in a comfortable waiting room and then I went to the chair. Dr. Selmair really went beyond my expectations, she is just great. Of course, having a native english speaker change the whole panorama because then I always had clear information about the treatment, implications, cost, everything in a very professional manner. That made me feel confident and safe, I trusted on her from the very first moment. Moreover, I was impressed as well because Dr. Selmair uses the top level technology for the treatment. In my case, I had several times in my life root canal treatments but never with this devices that take care of just remove what is necessary. Dr. Selmair made a treatment plan according with my possibilities, showing always the best option for me, having as much as possible for my oral health without forget the esthetics. I've recommend to several people that I know about this really great praxis in Schawing, then I thought why not to do the same online. I hope this will be helpful for all of you that are looking for a good dentist in english in Munich. Cheers.

I just called Dr Selmair clinic and the earliest appointment is in late Dec. WTF???! The girl asked when I was there last and because I was not there last 6 months, she said "Tut mir leid. You are no longer in the priority list." I hope I didn't hear it right. The last time I went, although I had made an appointment BEFOREHAND, I was made to wait for 1-2 hours. I thought maybe they have improved a bit since then but I think I'll write this dentist off my list.

Dear (future) patients,

at this point I would like to clarify a few points to avoid further misunderstandings or confusion:

1.) Due to great demand the practice Dr. Selmair has a waiting period of presently 8 weeks for scheduling regular (non-urgent) appointments.

2.) But: Due to cancellations on a more or less daily basis we have short-notice time-slots available, which are given to patients willing and/or able to fill in. This is our "short-notice/emergency" list.

3.) We always TRY to take care of emergencies the same day the patient notifies us (unless we are on vacation).

4.) There is no such thing as a "priority list" - on the contrary - most patients are scheduled in 6-month intervals for checkups (- I am referring to the commentary above).

5.) Due to daily time-management challenges such as no-shows, delays, spontaneous cancellations as well as squeezed-in emergency treatments we are not always able to see our patients on time. Waiting periods of one hour are quite rare, anything exceeding that I frankly cannot remember ever having imposed on my patients!

We LOVE what we do as much as we are working hard to improve YOUR HEALTH!

Dr. Isabel Selmair

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to give you all an idea of the great experience I had at Dr. Selmair's office. I have been staying in the Munich area for three years, and during that time I did not visist the dentist at all. With about a week left before going back to the US, I figured I should go while I still had the chance. I am very lucky I picked Dr. Selmair's office. So after the initial cleaning, quite a few large cavities revealed themselves which were hiding under the plaque that had built up. It was actually really shocking for me and unfortunately I took it out on the hygenist Katia (spelling?) but couldn't have been more wrong. It was my fault for not taking care of my teeth! So Dr. Selmair came in and thoroughly explained how my hygene habits were lacking. And they were!

I had FIVE cavities (my own fault) ... three cavities on my top front teeth and two on the bottom, and I was extremely nervous and shaken thinking I had ruined my teeth through neglect. I came back for a second visit, and I was sitting in the chair freaking out until Dr. Selmair came in and calmed me down. She knows what she's doing and knows how to speak english perfectly. She's not condescending she is there to help!!! So I ended up having the cavities filled, and seriously, she did an amazing job. She has a light, steady, confident touch and a good eye. You can tell she takes pride in her work. One of these cavities was so bad on a front tooth I thought I had no chance. And something I have to say is when she gave me the local anesthetic, she didn't walk away for an hour before starting the work... she was aware of how long the anesthetic works and got the job done quickly. I have had experiences with other dentists where they wait too long to start and the anestheic starts wearing off!!! YIKES!! These were the least painful fillings I have ever received.

I had five cavities total, one of which could have waited. So when I came in the following visit to get my teeth whitening trays and another patient had cancelled their appointment, Dr. Selmair quickly took that opportunity to fill in the last cavity. But she does the job properly!! She even shows you the work on the screen and the before and after comparison is amazing. Just realize that having your cavities on the big screen beforehand is a bit sobering.

I LISTENED to the hygene instructions given by Dr. Selmair, I purchased the reccomended electric toothbrush, and over the course of 3 visits in ONE WEEK, there is a DRAMATIC change in my oral hygene and now my confidence.

Let me just say that the entire staff was extrememly helpful and friendly. Way more so than any other business I have visited while in Germany that's for sure. I am a bit dissapointed in myself for not going sooner. I can say this though, the standard to which I will hold all dentists in the future will certainly be Dr. Selmair's office. I cannot thank her and her staff enough for helping me so trenmendously on such short notice before I leave for the US. Don't smoke! Floss! Floss! Floss! and visit Dr. Selmair's office. Her office seems to be getting busier now towards the end of the year so just hang in there and give them a call. Now I am going back to the US with a great smile and it will always remind me of my great time in Bavaria!!!

Thank you again Katia, Dr. Selmair, and the friendly girl at reception (I forgot her name sorry!!)

Jeffrey O.

I went to Dr. Selmair in November 2011 had a great experience. The staff was very professional and friendly and Dr. Selmair herself was very competent. She did, however, extol the virtues of that Oral-B SmartGuide electric toothbrush quite a bit. I did actually end up buying it during a big sale in Kaufhof and was (and still am) really impressed by it. My teeth definitely became whiter and my overall oral hygiene improved. I thought this was a great sign and decided to thank Dr. Selmair for her recommendation at the next appointment. That, however, never transpired.

I never received a 6-month check-up reminder even though I ticked the option on the original questionnaire and discussed it with the receptionist. I thought it was no big deal and decided to wait until the end of 2012 to go for my next check-up. I made an appointment for February (originally to take place last week) without any hassle. However, when I showed up on the day, the clinic was closed and the sign on the door said that the doctor and staff were out that entire week. The receptionist who scheduled my appointment had made no mention of this (even though I had called towards the end of January) and I had received no call or anything about the closing. I was a bit annoyed but thought that it could have been down to any number of reasons (it might have been an unplanned closing, maybe I misunderstood the date, maybe the receptionist didn't quite get my name when I spelled it and couldn't access the contact data associated with my insurance card, etc).

I called back today to schedule a new date. I was told that the first available appointment was in April. The receptionist then asked if that was too late for me. As I am moving to Switzerland in March, I said yes. She asked me if I had already been to their clinic previously, to which I also replied in the affirmative. Thinking that she could somehow help me out, I went on to explain that I actually had an appointment scheduled but that the clinic was closed when I showed up. Without offering any apology or explanation, she drew the phone away from her and started whispering with her colleague (without putting me on hold). I could hear the whispering but could not make out any words, except that the word 'Englisch' was once mentioned (we had been speaking in German). I was then told that the Doctor was going on holiday and that there was nothing they could do for me (for this she did apologize, however). Following this, I was unceremoniously ushered off the line.

Just wanted to warn people that one appointment does not automatically guarantee future satisfaction, unfortunately...

I am international student, I can't speak German, and I had really bad tooth pain which was unbearable, I was lucky enough to find Dr. Selmair's clinic. People in clinic speak excellent English which helped to finish administrative stuff really fast. They received me immediately, even though their schedule was packed and almost filled up for that day. It turned out that i need to do root canal treatment. Everything went better than expected, and most important I didn't feel any pain during procedure. Now my tooth is perfectly fine, procedure was really successful. For sure I am going to continue visiting this clinic.

Best regards,

Stefan

I visited Dr Selmair 3 times in the last year and while I am happy with the work done I didn't like the attitude of the staff and felt the prices were very expensive. I found her quite unhelpful when asking for general advice and felt the whole procedure was very focused around money, I was asked 3 times if I was able to pay when attending for treatment that I had prebooked and agreed on cost. I also felt Dr Selmair, while speaking excellent English, was quite abrupt and dismissive, on one of my visits she was giving her assistant a row for not handing her instruments quickly enough while they were both working in my mouth, this didn't make for the most relaxing treatment. After my last visit I asked a colleague for a recommendation for another dentist. Dr Selmair had quoted me €150 per tooth for a very small filling, the new dentist I visited has quoted me €30 per tooth and said if I don't want to pay this I can get a basic filling for free from my healthcare. Dr Selmair specifically told me this filling was not covered at all by my healthcare. There are plenty other dentists in Munich who also speak English, they may not be in as impressive premises but the treatment they deliver will be just as good and the attitude often better.

Hi everyone,

I have been living in Munich since more than two years now. In the last couple of months, I have had a big and serious problem with my teeth. I was very lucky that I have found Dr. Isabel Selmair because of many reasons.

First, and the most important factor for me as foreigner is the communication with the doctor because I do not speak German. In the beginning I had some doubt about finding a doctor who has enough English skills to communicate properly with patients. However, Dr. Isabel Selmair's English is very fluent. I have read in her profile that she grew up in the USA!! Secondly, I really feel very comfortable with this doctor because before starting any treatment she spends quite a lot of time explaining to me what should be done, what are the possibilities to handle the problem... (something I have never experienced with other doctors because usually they are always under time pressure and they do not spend time explaining to the patient about the treatment because they will not get paid for that). I really appreciate this in her working process. Moreover, She is a very good doctor and she has a good assistants (They all speak english as well, and fluent english. I always handle my appointments' schedule with phone calls and I have never had a problem while talking to them).

While doing the treatment (root canal), I have not had any pain because she is really doing it very carefully and with a state of the art equipments. All in all, I really feel very comfortable when I lie on the long chair in her office.

Beside the skills, the equipments, the working process... This doctor is a good heart person because she did me a very nice humanitarian gesture that I will never forget (even though we do not know each other from before).

I hope that my opinion will help people because when I had to find a dentist, I was really in trouble because I could not find any orientation from any one!

Cheers.

Hi everyone,

Good to read all these good comments about a dentist.

Does Dr. Isabel accept public insurance?

Also, has anyone done an implant with Dr. Isabel?

Appreciate any help in advance! I'm looking for a good dentist and I do need one with some urgency but not overpriced...

Thanks!

I moved to Munich 1 year ago and my german is still not so great. I found this forum in a google search for english speaking dentist, and I am happy I chose Dr Selmair. I was experiencing pain with a wisdom tooth. I called for an appointment and when I told them I was experiencing pain I had an appointment within 2 days. All the staff we friendly and helpful, the dental assistant that did my cleaning and X-rays spoke fantastic english and was very gentle! Dr Selmair explained all options available to me in a clear and professional manner. I had two wisdom teeth removed in this appointment and will have the other two removed in March! Overall considering I had two teeth removed it was a very pleasant experience. My krankenkasse coved pretty much everything! I decided to pay extra for the professional clean €80, the antiseptic mouth wash €7 and invested in a great electric toothbrush €130. I highly recommend Dr Selmair and her team! :D

I went to Dr. Isabel Selmair after having tooth pain that got just way to much to Handle, i found her here on Toytown after searching for an English speaking Dentist and immediately emailed her.

She replied straight away and told me to come in that morning so she could help me. she managed to squeeze me in again that afternoon.

I have had a bad fear of the Dentist for as long i can remember. From the first time i went to Dr. Selmair, she made me feel at ease. She was patient, kind and gentle. I've had to have a few things done to my teeth since going to her, One of these being a Root Canal, i was anxious and slightly scared because of my fear and Dr Selmair was very nice, she made me very comfortable and i did not feel a thing while she worked on my tooth.

I have a few other things to be done on my teeth and every time Dr. Selmair and her assistant are so kind and gentle with me and always make sure i am comfortable and feeling okay. On my second visit i received a thorough teeth cleaned by one of her assistants and i cant say my teeth have ever felt and looked this good. Her assistant was also very gentle and took time and care while cleaning my teeth.

Dr. Selmair has been great and understanding with me, she has sat with me and we have gone through all options in regarding my teeth and what could be done to save them.

My visits have always been calming and with a lot of thanks to Dr. Selmair and her assistant my fear of the dentist is almost non-existent

I would Highly recommend Dr. Selmair to anyone looking for a dentist, she is nice,friendly and does the best she could for her patients.

Everyone working there are all Friendly and very welcoming.

I trust Dr. Selmair with my teeth and i know she will do whats best.

Hello all,

I am writing this review of Dr. Selmair and her team to urge all of you to go to this dentist! Not only has she provided me with excellent dental care over the last four years, but she has demonstrated true class in all of our interactions. She recently filled a cavity that I had developed with no pain or true discomfort. To say that she has been more than helpful regarding a complicated insurance process (thank you Blue Cross) is the understatement of the century, and she continues to be my favorite doctor - not only for her outstanding medical capability, but for her kindness. I've sent friends to her, who are now also devoted patients. So go, please, and see what all of these rave reviews are talking about!

I first decided to visit Dr. Selmair's practice earlier in the year due to a developing tooth pain that was getting worse by the day. Upon the first visit I was given an xray which revealed the underlying causes of my pain, in addition to a few other developing cavities that needed to be sorted out before they got worse. I was immediately scheduled in for a few appointments which spanned the following month, as well as being placed on a waiting list to take any cancellations. Dr. Selmair herself is American and her whole team speak fantastic English, as well as always being welcoming and hospitable, so I immediately felt comfortable within the practice - and importantly could express my symptoms fully.

The cause of my pain was actually a very deep cavity, which had reached the nerve of the affected tooth. The only solution was a root canal treatment, which was not as painful as it sounds! The procedure was completed to an incredibly high standard and I opted for a composite filling on top - you actually can't tell any work was done on the tooth at all, it looks very natural. Thankfully, the other cavities required less invasive measures and could be treated with a simple filling (after the cavity was removed). I must also say that the day after my root canal I was experiencing a lot of pain and was quite worried. After calling the practice I was seen immediately (literally 1 hour later) to make sure everything was in order. It turned out that the pain was being caused by swelling of my gums from the anesthetic injections. I was reassured that everything looks great and the pain would fade, which it did. Despite nothing actually being wrong, I truly appreciated the attention that was paid to my situation and of course the reassurance I received!

Overall, I have been thoroughly impressed with the high level of professionalism and care in which I was treated by Dr. Selmair and her team. Nothing ever felt rushed, and Dr. Selmair always took the time to explain to me exactly what was happening and how each procedure was going to be performed. This was both reassuring and interesting, especially knowing the ins and outs of a root canal! The equipment used was also state of the art, with detailed photos being taken before, during and after each procedure to show the journey the tooth has been through and how it has been left.

The practice accepts both Private and Public health insurance (and I covered by AoK). Most treatment you could ever need will be covered by your public health insurance, however, there are options to go for paid options/improvements - such as the composite filling I received.

Honestly, I couldn't recommend this practice enough. Needless to say, I am thankful that the work on my teeth is (almost) over, but I couldn't have been treated any better and will definitely make my regular checkups here! Thanks, Nick :)

I would like to confirm the fact that Dr. Selmair is fully booked for upcoming 2 or 3 months no matter of when you call or the emergency you face. Since the initial post dates back in 2005, I suggest deactivating the topic and start making new topics naming other potentially skilled, English speaking, and indeed available dentists. There is really no point of calling someone that basically can not accept any new patient.

I have visited Dr. Selmair during the last two months for three times. At first I thought it was just a problem with the wisdom tooth. But apparently I had few other problems with an additional tooth, which was affecting the side tooth. She was very professional in explaining it to me and took immediate measures to remove that tooth. Further I had a filling for those teeth, but to my bad luck I had to undergo a root canal treatment for one of those tooth. Nevertheless the whole treatment was almost painless and well handled. She gave me nice advice on how to maintain the proper health of my teeth. If I have any problem with my teeth in the future, I would never hesitate to go for her advice. One more thing about the clinic, which I liked is that she actually took time to answer my questions and made me to be convenient all throughout my treatment.

I have visited Dr. Selmair numerous times over the past few years since I moved to Munich, for a range of different reasons, tooth pain, checkups and also for some cosmetic work. Every time I have contacted her i've had a quick response and she did her best to fit me as soon as possible. She is always very patient & friendly and explains the situation and what work maybe needed in very clear & understandable terms.  Unfortunately I've needed and had quite a lot of work done over the last few years! A few root canals & a tooth removed to name some of the more apparently more painful jobs, yet I was very impressed with how little pain or discomfort I felt during the work :)
The rest of the staff at the surgery are just as friendly and helpful, so if you want a friendly, professional and quality dental experience then and I have no hesitation in recommending Dr. Selmair to anyone!