Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Long Night of Museums in Berlin

5 posts in this topic

I did this last fall, and it's back again - wondering if anyone wanted to go?

Traditionally in the winter Berlins »LANGE NACHT DER MUSEEN« is covering the city on its largest scale.

Theme of the 22. Long Night of Museums is: "Time"

On almost 400 square kilometres – between Glienicke Palace, the Museum at the Waterplant Friedrichshagen and the Museum of Local History Reinickendorf – more than 100 museums and cultural institutions are giving access to their exhibitions, collections and art objects throughout the night, enriched by a variety of events.

Kombiticket: valid in all participating institutions (from 6pm) as well as busses, suburban railways and undergrounds of the Berlin network (ABC) from Saturday, 26th January 2008, 3pm until Sunday, 27th January 2008, 5am

* Pre-selling: 12 Euro, reduced 8 Euro

Day of the event: 15 Euro, reduced 10 Euro

Children until the age of 12 have free entrance.

* Pre-selling: amongst others in participating museums, theatre box offices, Berlin info stores

* Via Internet: www.museumsportal-berlin.delink_extern.gif

More info at:

http://www.berlin.de/english/entertainment...eums/index.html

English full program at:

http://www.lange-nacht-der-museen.de/news/english.html

Well...

The weater was nasty, wet and cold. The busses where few and packed, the museum people where bitches and my feet, my poor feet was a mess.

let's do this in the summer time with happy people around eh?

Scott

PS: Got some awesome shots of the crypts tho.

Crypts? Where did you see crypts?

Which reminds me.. has anyone tried the Berlin underground tour? I flipped through a book on the subject once, it looks fascinating; quite an extensive network of tunnels, bunkers, storage spaces underneath us..

Nope - I wanted to try the underground tour but when I posted it seemed no one was interested at the time. If you're still interested, I'd love to go.

Re Crypts - the Berliner Dom has crypts under it that are open and you can wander through. It's one of the best parts to visit - and when the weather's nice - you can go to the top and walk around the cuppola for nice views of the city. (Although, the view from the top fo the Reichstag is free - after you go through security, and it's open regardless of weather from 10 AM until 10 PM.)

Re Museums - It was an interesting night - once again, my recommendation is avoid Museum Island until after at least 10 PM unless you want to spend the time waiting in lines with no real entertainment.

Also, this time around, the docents I encountered were rude. The weather was cold, wet, and rainy - they kept saying you had to check your coats and/or your bags - or wear the wet coat in the museum (nothing carried in). With as many people as there were, the garderobes were full - with lines waiting for someone to grab their stuff and lines waiting for you to pick it up. I wil note that they totally asses in a couple different cases - and that did put a damper on the evening. (I wanted to say HELLO - think a minute - but refrained, opting to leave instead and post a comment here as a warning.) Yes, the buses were packed - but I believe it was mostly because of the bad weather and everyone just wanting to get out of it where ever possible.

The Moral of the story - a) plan ahead, B) bring your patience, and c) go to the one in the summer - despite being more people you have more transportation/walking options and don't generally have as much stuff (warm coat, hat, scarf, umbrella, etc.) to carry in the museum, so I think the docents don't get as rude.