Rant about Amazon

215 posts in this topic

So felt like getting some CDs and as I don't have the time to go to Müller off I go to Amazon.

I enter the band's name and get nothing on the .de site.

Grrrrrrrr

I know they are popular in Britain so I go off to .co.uk, find it immedaitely and get the AZIN number.

Enter that on the German site and yes, it now appears but would not have come up on a name search!

Grrrrrrrrr

Then I see that an GBP 8.99 CD in Britain is EUR 14,99 here, more expensive despite the lower VAT rate in Germany!

Grrrrrrrrrr

Then I see that if orered through Amazon.co.uk they will despatch in 24 hours, if ordered through .de the release date isn't until 22 November!

Effing get it sorted or I will go to Müller!

Remember to add into the amazon.co.uk price the extra shipping into Germany...

Anyway, what are you doing ordering the new "Aqua" album...

P

Ok I have this question on ordering from Amazon.co.uk/de. I ordered a book through what eventually looked to be .co.uk even though I started with .de (probably my lack of german was fatal). entered my dhl packstation address obviously no package arrived. I realised they don't ship to packstation since they are .co.uk so I ask them to repost to my home address still nothing. Apparently it should have been here in 3-5 w.days and it's been about 8 days. Is it normal for Deutsches post to take this long? Btw the book was shipped via Royal Air Mail so I can only pressume it's stuck somewhere in Germany. Has anyone experienced this before? can you go to the post here and ask if there is something on you name?

Thanks for your help!

Yes, the posties are on strike back home. And yes, Deutsche Post takes its time with delivery. I've had parcels (standard parcel from home (UK)) take over 2 weeks before today. Also posted a parcel to Japan from here - it took them 2 whole months to deliver it.

... entered my dhl packstation address obviously no package arrived. I realised they don't ship to packstation since they are .co.uk

@coldplayer - I have successfully used the packstation for stuff from .co.uk. The Royal Mail will (assuming they aren't on strike) hand the parcel to Deutsche Post for the last leg and hence Packstation is fine.

@OP - Sometimes translation issues delay release (but for a CD, dunno) and I would always do a price comparison between .co.uk and .de for English language stuff (for example The Lost Symbol 13.86GBP or €18 all costs included)

I use Play.com quite a lot and items can take anything up to 10 days to arrive, I think the delays are due to German customs rather than the postal service.

I have no problems with Play.com delivering to my Packstation address.

Where possible (i.e. if it's the best value) I use Amazon.de for books, as delivery is free on all books.

I have no experience using Amazon over here, but I would order books and movies from the states on Amazon.de, would only pay maybe 10 Euros shipping, and have it in a week. Why is it so much more a hassle within the EU? I can only imagine Tony Blair as EU President would fix this.

I have no experience using Amazon over here, but I would order books and movies from the states on Amazon.de

Amazon.de have a large selection of english language books, and as I said delivery in Germany is free, and usually takes just a couple of days.

I can only imagine Tony Blair as EU President would fix this.

Well indeed - I would certainly imagine that sorting out amazon's logistics processes are very high on his agenda. Or then again, maybe he could not give a fuck.

On a side note - I ordered a present for a friend on Amazon last night at 7pm, asked for asap delivery and it arrives here at 11am this morning.

What a demonstration of internet shopping and distribution ability genius.

Amazon, I salute you

Whenever I've mentioned to (German) friends about ordering DVDs etc. from .co.uk and having them sent to my German address the majority start going on about how I'll have to go and pay at customs before I'll be able to pick it up etc. etc.. Never had to do that and it wouldn't even have crossed my mind to be honest. Out of interest though, where do we actually stand regarding customs?

B'dan

P.S. Just realised, one of the paranoid friends was refering to an iPOD cable bought on Ebay and being sent from North America.

You can order anything from the UK and have it sent here without worrying about customs. This does not apply to the Channel Islands, however (i.e. Play.com) - but as long as you're under €26 per parcel (and they ship all their items separately) you're good to go. They're still using an extremely unfavorable exchange rate, however (and demand that you use the euro prices for shipments to the Continent).

We've ordered music CDs and video games at Amazon UK and never had a problem with customs.

You can order anything from the UK and have it sent here without worrying about customs. This does not apply to the Channel Islands, however (i.e. Play.com) - but as long as you're under €26 per parcel (and they ship all their items separately) you're good to go. They're still using an extremely unfavorable exchange rate, however (and demand that you use the euro prices for shipments to the Continent).

Cheers B)