Shipping two dogs from Germany to the U.S.

26 posts in this topic

Lufthansa is regularly considered the airline of choice if you’re flying with pets.  They have light and temperature controlled holds, and they are very pet friendly.   However, recently, even they have been imposing temperature embargoes.  There are also some specific requirements in order to travel with pets.

Also, be aware that if she wants to bring the dogs back to the USA, there could be a problem.  The CDC has really cracked down on importing dogs from countries where there is a high incidence of rabies.  Germany is not on the list, but Lufthansa was recently denying transportation of dogs from Germany due to the new rule.  I am not sure if this issue has yet been resolved.  

https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/high-risk.html

Military folks are really up in arms about it.  It’s causing huge issues with people trying to rotate home with their pets.  

She may wish to join the Military PCS with Pets Facebook group for advice or advice on shippers, should she want to go that route.  If she uses a shipper, they would fly cargo.  It will cost a hell of a lot more than if they went excess baggage (or fly in cabin if they are small enough).  But the shippers take care of everything.  Cost of flying depends on the airline and size/weight of the dog(s).  We flew our two beagles excess baggage on Lufthansa in 2014 for $400 total.  But prices and policies have changed in the wake of COVID.  If we have to fly with our new dog, he will probably have to go with a shipper because he’s tall and long.

Edited to add:  here’s the link to the Facebook group.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/pcswithpets/?ref=share

2 hours ago, jeba said:

It´s a long-term move.

Ah sorry, Cyprus just made me think vacation.

Your daughter may want to check Lufthansa Cargo to see if she can transport her dogs to Cypress through them. It will be more expensive than having them on the same flights as her, but it's a more secure way of transporting animals.

https://lufthansa-cargo.com/products-live-animals

And I agree with BethAnnBitt about making sure all of the paperwork is completed. There are timeframes for completion of vaccinations and other documents before arriving, and I also recall having to make a special appointment with a USDA office 48 hour or so before we departed to have all the paperwork signed off on. Added a bit of work and stress right before the move .. but, we arrived with our pet just fine. 

If, by any chance, she has military privileges, she can also use the vets on military installations.  They are all USDA certified.  But I realize not everyone has that option.

Most of them are well versed in what needs to be done.  I still suggest the Facebook group, because there are many people in there who are very experienced in moving pets abroad and back.  I have done it three times myself, but there are people in there who have brought dogs from war zones.

2 hours ago, jill_ said:

It will be more expensive than having them on the same flights as her,

It would be a lot more expensive. The quote she received was $ 3690.-. Fortunately, there are airlines like Lufthansa allowing pets to be transported in the hold for about 20% of that. Problem is that not even Lufthansa would allow the dogs to leave the crate during the stopover which would mean they´d be locked up for 18 hours in a best case scenario. This is unacceptable, so she may have to stay a day in Germany just to give the dogs some time off. That would come with the problem though that then it would be a flight originating from Germany for which an EU pet passport will be required.

3 hours ago, jeba said:

That would come with the problem though that then it would be a flight originating from Germany for which an EU pet passport will be required.

I got the EU Pet Passport right away.  She could check ahead and find a vet in the area.  I’ve read about people doing that who want to travel around the EU with the dog.