Shipping two dogs from Germany to the U.S.

26 posts in this topic

Hi all,

My husband and I are returning to the U.S. at the end of February and we have two dogs (a pomeranian and a yorkie) that we need to have sent to Philadelphia. My husband found a cargo service that wants 800 euro to ship them back. I only paid $180 dollars to send one of them here when I came last year. I understand that things are more expensive going the other way but that price is ridiculous. My question is, if you've shipped your pets back to the U.S. who did you use and how much did you fork out. Them being safe and comfortable is very important but am curious if there are other services that are not as expensive. I've googled and only found 2 others. I'm a bad google-er (the hubby says) One doesn't ship from Germany and the other I can't get a hold of because their phone system is a pain in the ass (NW/KLM). Please any info that anyone has is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Cara

Generally, you would fly them on the same plane that you and your husband are flying on. The majority of airlines offer this service. Find out who you're going to fly with and then contact them regarding what you have to do to prepare and how much it will cost per doggie.

Here's an old TT thread - admittedly about the reverse direction but with some useful stuff in it. Also, one of the resident TT experts on all things canine is mere, who is usually happy to help out with advice.

Edit: And what Odenwalder said.

Thankyou I will check that thread out. Problem is that we've contacted a couple of airlines and they don't allow dogs in the cabins on international flights otherwise we could do that for the yorkie, but the pom is a full size so no way. Thanks again

One word for you: Cargo. Forget about bringing the dog in the cabin. I don't know what would be worse, a screaming child or a barking dog.

I have never heard a dog in the cabin barking. I bring my dog back and forth from Munich to Chicago in the cabin at least once (sometimes twice) a year. She has never barked. As a matter of fact, on every flight I have been on, another passenger waiting at the baggage claim will ask me "Where did you get that dog from?" It's much easier to control a dog barking than children screaming.

Toytown Germany

My life experiences and opinions are the only valid ones

I just flew to the States and back with my dog in cargo. It cost 110 euros each way with Lufthansa -- but that´s as extra baggage when you yourself are traveling. Do you want to send the dogs on a different flight than the one you are on?

i wish i had posted sooner ruthie, we will have to have them fly on another flight. but i wonder if luftansa would do something like that without us being on the flight. hmm...should check that. we should have chose luftansa. hmm...the yorkie could go under the seat but the pomeranian being a full size won't fit. but 110 € would be great. i'm gonna call luftansa and see if they offer a cargo service of some sort. fingers crossed they have something. well about the barking dog, when Dallas came here last year he was given a tranq to make him sleep for most of the flight. if the yorkie P-nut was in the cabin in his cage and awake he would cry i am sure. but its a whimper opposed to a child screaming. but i'm not sure which one would be worse for other passengers. once again thank you all for the tips. i hate moving these two around so much. but hopefully this will be the last time.

Delta is another option to look at. When I flew with my weim, it cost 104€ (based on $150 converted). This, however, was also when I flew with him, but I would still check them out.

And I like Cookie's statement. :)

Thanks to all for your comments. Ruthie, you are a goddess. I called Lufthansa and they will send both of them with crates included in the price for 490€. They also have in-flight care for the dogs. Making sure that they have water and everything. I would have never thought about Lufthansa. I didn't know until I called them that they even had a Pet/Cargo shipping service. And they do this stuff daily and to Philadelphia. Thankyou thankyou thankyou. :D

They also have in-flight care for the dogs. Making sure that they have water and everything.

Ruthie and I were talking about this a few weeks ago. Although I love Lufthansa (they ALWAYS treat us like rock stars), I wonder how much in-flight 'care' they provide. No one is down in the hold there with them, so I can't imagine it's much. That said, they are the only airline I would trust with my dog - except a private jet, of course! B)

Lufthansa and Delta would let you take the yorkie in the cabin, Lufthansa for next to nothing, Delta I haven't used so no idea. Both airlines also offer cargo service. Call them up, they were very helpful when we moved.

edit: see you already got your info!

I am glad it is working out for you junebug. I did a lot of research on the flying thing as I was very worried about my dog. When I spoke to Lufthansa´s general customer service, I was assured that there was a person flying with the animals! Giving them food and water, etc. When I then asked if the person lets them out of their cage to pee, I was referred to the actual company that takes care of the cargo. They laughed at the idea of someone flying in the cargo hold. There is actually no person flying with the animals. However, they will make sure they have water before the animals are put on the plane, and during any stopovers. I don´t know if you will be the one preparing the crates, but you want to be sure that the water can be refilled from outside the cage without opening it, that there is absorbent bedding you don´t mind having urine on, and just a tiny bit of food. MArk the crate clearly as carrying live animals. It would be good to put a current photo of the dog on the crate -- I wrote Tobi´s name and date of birth, and the fact that it was his first flight. I tried one of those water dispensers that small rodents have, a drip thing with a ball at the end, but it leaked all over when I got it, so when I actually flew I just got a water dish with a sort of inner apron that prevents too much spillage. If you can, get the crates ahead of time and get the dogs used to being in there so it is a safe, familiar place.

To be honest, I was a total wreck when we flew, and the dog was fine. Best of Luck!

My daughter wants to fly from the US to Cyprus (with a stopover in Germany if there is no direct flight) taking her 2 dogs with her. Any recommendations regarding airlines and costs?

7 minutes ago, jeba said:

My daughter wants to fly from the US to Cyprus (with a stopover in Germany if there is no direct flight) taking her 2 dogs with her. Any recommendations regarding airlines and costs?

Probably easier (and cheaper) to put the dogs into a Dog Hotel for a couple of weeks?

Probably not many choices to begin with, but airlines have a temperature prohibition which will curtail her plans.

15 hours ago, Chelski said:

Probably easier (and cheaper) to put the dogs into a Dog Hotel for a couple of weeks?

It´s a long-term move.

There are airlines allowing you to take animals with you in the hold, but none is offering direct flights. My worry is about the duration the poor doggies will have to spend in their crates. Are there airlines which will allow them out of their crates during the stop over to have a pee/poop? Which airports are offering decent animal "services"?

14 minutes ago, jeba said:

It´s a long-term move.

There are airlines allowing you to take animals with you in the hold, but none is offering direct flights.

I had that problem when I moved over here from the middle of the US.

My worry is about the duration the poor doggies will have to spend in their crates.

It’s tough.  My dog was crated roughly 15 hours door-to-door.  But I simply had no choice.

Are there airlines which will allow them out of their crates during the stop over to have a pee/poop?

I flew with Iceland Air and was told they would do that, but I know they didn’t.  I flew Kansas City-Reykjavik-Frankfurt.  

Which airports are offering decent animal "services"?

In Reykjavik I had no access to the dog during the layover.  So it was a non-issue.  There are websites with such ℹ️.  And I saw no services in Frankfurt, but maybe I missed them.  We just wanted to get him outside ASAP.

Make sure she checks about restrictions and paperwork from the US before entering Cyprus.  I had to do some very specific things and have specific paperwork for him to enter Germany.  As you can see from the photo here, taken shortly after we moved, he survived and thrived.  But I know it’s stressful for both the animal and the owner. I promised him we would never do it again.  😂