Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Questions on South African higher education

4 posts in this topic

All, since there are a number of people from RSA on TT, I am hoping someone can tell me what the US and UK equivalents of a 4-year honours degree in the South African system would be? Also, which RSA universities have the best reputation for postgraduate study by dissertation in economics and finance?

Thanks in advance...

Good morning

I was a Tukkies student (University of Pretoria) but that was for an engineering course, but I'm now working as finance manager and according to our recruitment department RAU in Johannesburg has one of the best accounting departments. I think it is worthwhile looking to their post grad programs.

If you are looking at a MBA, Wits and Tukkies and Stellenbosch are rated very high, and of the three Wits is ranked on top (my opinion only). There was a big scandal in SA about 4 years ago where it was found that only about 12 institutions MBA programs complied to international standards, leaving a lot of students of programs from universities in the UK and the Netherlands and reputable SA institutions with only locally recognised MBA degrees. (Nearly half of the people in our firm did their MBA through the Netherlands university program at that stage and it was a huge disappointed as a lot of time and money goes into that).

CIMA (UK management accounting degree) is regarded by many non-auditing firms in South Africa(manufacturing and service institutions) as the preferred qualifications for finance and commercial related jobs. Especially groups like BHP, Xstrata etc. They prefer CIMA qualifications to CA (Chartered accountants) qualifications for their finance and commercial management rolls.

My 2cents worth.

Best regards

Ems

Hi,

Speaking as a lecturer at Wits University until December last year, the equivalent of a four years Honours degree is any four year degree in SA depending on the Faculty. Humanities, for example offers an UG degree for three years and then another separate Honours degree over one year. Engineering degrees though are four years UG and are considered the equivalent of an Honours degree when completed. Commerce degrees are three years UG with a specific one year Honours degree.

As for the top PG Business Schools - UCT, Wits, Pretoria and RAU are rated among the best with the Gordon School of Business and Wits Business Schools consistently performing over the last couple of years. These schools are internationally accredited.

Hope this helps.