Tips for an American family moving to Celle

34 posts in this topic

It took me a awhile to reply to your answers. Thanks so much for all the info. My husband may go before me & the kids to check out different housing options. I'm really enjoying looking at all the houses for rent/sale on the internet! Also, we found out that they company may pay for international school for our girls after all, so we are going to check out the International school in Hannover. That looks like the closest option to Celle. My husband wants to bikeride to work, so we'll probably try to find something close to Celle, and I'll drive the girls to school.

Anyway, thanks so much for the advice. I'm sure I'll be needing more!

Hi,

I've been living in Bergen just up the road from Celle for nearly six years. My husband was in the British Army for 5 of those so we had access to the military schools which are really good here. I thought I would just let you know that in fact there are at least 5 elementary schools in the area, 1 in Celle, 2 in Bergen and 2 in Fallingbostel near Soltau, as for secondary schools/ High school there is only one and it's based in Bergen and all the military children from Celle and Fallingbostel and bergen go there.

When my husbnad left the Army we paid for the kids to keep going to their elementary school in Bergen in cost us GBP 5,485. per term for both kids. They also have a school lunch program that costs 2.65 Euro per lunch and you get to choose which ones they want the month before.

These schools are really well funded with loads of activities and special features going on all the time and the kids are all educated under the british system and they have german lessons weekly as well.

If your company or you are prepared to pay then I would go for these as it's a quite a drive from Celle to the hannover school daily!! I checked that out as an opton for us when my husband left and although the military schools are a bit more expensive you'd pay more than that on gas prices which are at 1.44 Euro a litre here at the moment!!

There was laso a french couple that sent their kids to Montgomery school where my kids went and the army gives you a special pass to enter the camps or alternatively some of the schools are off camps which would be better for you I think.

All the information is on the web under SCE british army germany and you can call them and they ask the schools if they have room for you and that's about it, if you keep your options open about which school you will probably have no problem. I do know they have their prices high to discourage foreign businesses from placing their kids in their schools but as they are not well advertised I think most overlook them and choose the international schools.

Also just to let you know I sent my daughter to a german kindergarten for 3.5 years until she turned 6 and they were really good with her after a short while she was speaking like a native and still understands/speaks it very well now. I also thought about the german school for her and my son and the ones in our local(Hermannsburg) were very accepting and offered extra help for their german.

I hope this helps

Looks like our move is a sure thing and will be happening at the end of the summer. I can't wait to get over there. We're now looking at what to bring, and what not to furniture-wise. We want to bring a lot of our furniture but we're unsure if it will fit in the house/room sizes there. For instance we have a king-sized sleigh bed that we definitely don't want to get rid of. If we have it shipped over and it doesn't fit in the house/apt. that we rent, are there storage facilities available? (They're on every corner here in Houston.)

Thanks for any and all replies. I'm sure I'll have many more questions as the summer wears on!

Cindy

Looks like our move is a sure thing and will be happening at the end of the summer. I can't wait to get over there. We're now looking at what to bring, and what not to furniture-wise. We want to bring a lot of our furniture but we're unsure if it will fit in the house/room sizes there. For instance we have a king-sized sleigh bed that we definitely don't want to get rid of. If we have it shipped over and it doesn't fit in the house/apt. that we rent, are there storage facilities available? (They're on every corner here in Houston.)

The sleigh bed, if it can't be disassembled, may not fit through the doors of your apartment, but it really depends on the apartment. The room sizes also vary widely, though their average size is certainly smaller than what you'd find in most parts of the States. A typical apartment is usually three or four rooms plus kitchen, hall and bath, and usually around 80-100 square meters (850-1100 sq. ft.), so that should give you an idea of the size of the rooms. Some buildings, though, aren't rectangular, so you may have irregularly shaped rooms. I've seen some apartments with nary a right angle...

There are storage places around Hannover -- there's a new one going in, for example, where Hildesheimer Straße and the Südschnellweg cross (across from the McDonald's). The rent for storage lockers is usually around €50-60/month. However, they're not as common here (there might not be one near you) and you may want to try renting a normal garage instead, which also cost about the same. Unfortunately finding those is often a matter of luck depending on your neighborhood. So it's possible, but I wouldn't 100% count on it.

Good luck with the move!

Cheers,

Fairfax71

EDIT: I forgot to add that even if the doors are too small for your bed, there may still be a way to get it in, such as through a window. If you are using a moving company, they may be able to manage anyway.

I've been looking on the immopool & immobilien sites, and I have seen that the home sizes are much smaller. We own a house here in Houston that is over 3000 sq ft. +, so to move into a 1000 sq. foot apt/house will be quite a change for us. We're really hoping to find a single family home with a basement available to rent. We'll have 3 months after we get there with a furnished apt. from the company, to find our permanent housing.

Our sleigh bed does disassemble, but it could swallow up a small room for sure.

One other question I have (at least the one that's on mind right now), is does the Celle area experience a lot of snow in the winter? I know it's cold there, but I haven't seen too much about the weather conditions during the winter. Just curious. I grew up in the midwest of the US, and we had a lot of blizzards and icy storms. I'm definitely ready to escape these 90 degree F days!

One other question I have (at least the one that's on mind right now), is does the Celle area experience a lot of snow in the winter? I know it's cold there, but I haven't seen too much about the weather conditions during the winter.

Depends on your definition of "cold".

I live a hundred or so kms North... The "normal" Winter has a fair amount of rain, and long periods a few degrees above freezing. Usually there is very little snow. You are likely to get a cold period lasting a few weeks where it goes down to minus 20C and is so dry that the sparks fly. Can be interesting when it ends with rain (Eisregen) falling on deeply frozen ground, roads, cars...

That said, there are exceptions - I have described what has been happening in recent years.

Ya, what HEM said. I live in Hannover, which is about 40 km (25 miles) from Celle. Most of the winter it usually hovers around freezing, and we get more rain than snow (but lots of rain and drizzle). What little snow we get doesn't tend to be around for long, either. Sometimes it will get colder, maybe -5°C (23°F) or so, but it rarely gets colder than that.

The disadvantage is that the winters are long and grey, and the winter days especially short. We have long stretches where there's basically no sun to speak of. :(

We do get 90°F heat sometimes, though. Just a week or so ago we were pushing the 90°F mark, but it's cooled down considerably now. However, it's not frequent and some summers it doesn't crawl out of the 70s, so...

Cheers,

Fairfax71

2003 was pretty heavy - 34 Celsius in July, last year was crap, this year started ok, but at the moment it´s not so warm -"Schafskälte". We gardeners are always occupied with the prevailing weather conditions, eh Fairfax?;) I prefer it not quite so hot, actually (fondly remembers childhood in short trousers in all weathers - didn´t do me any harm, etc.,)

I'm a gardener myself. That's one thing I hadn't thought of - change of climate for gardening. I'm used to looking for plants that don't tolerate frost as well as, some tropical varieties. That will be a lot of fun learning about plants for the cooler (and wetter) climate. Do most Germans have gardens (including food-producing)? That's one reason I want to find a single family home, as well as needing a yard for our golden retriever.

Do most Germans have gardens (including food-producing)? That's one reason I want to find a single family home, as well as needing a yard for our golden retriever.

To generalise most Germans live in a flat or apartment which will have no more than a balcony. However a small percentage will have an allotment or Schrebergarten / Kleingarten anything between next door & a fair drive away on which they will have some hut (ranging is size from a tool shed to a villa) and grow vegetables etc etc...

Those with houses & a private garden - its seems to vary. I seem more people growing vegetables in their garden down South (Stuttgart area) than up here...

Well, hopefully we can find something that can accomodate at least a small garden...I grew up in the midwest of the US where we had very cold, snowy winters and warm summers, and could grow a wonderful garden.

I guess with all the rain ya'll get, it must at least be very green! The pictures I've seen are all beautiful.

Hi, Cynthia,

I believe we met briefly after the 60th anniversary of the Baptisten Gemeinde recently.

I just was reading through Toytown Germany, and saw your message, so i figured it was you!

I hope that you are getting everything sorted out with finding a great place to live.

If you need anything, or want to just speak to another American, just give me a call!

Debbie

phone: 05141-93 17 13