Call a spade a spade

27 posts in this topic

Why translate this Bundesland and not the others???

and Südbayern

and München

and Zentraldeutschland

...but apart from that, what have the Romans ever done for us?

So do one thing or another...translate everything or leave it alone... Lower Saxony grates...

But that is what people would find on the net and in other media who do not have the advantage of living here and almost speaking the language.

"Bodensee" is listed in German, though (as opposed to "Lake Constance").

And there is "Franken" and "Oberpfalz", as opposed to "Franconia" and "Upper Paletinate".

Surely that would be calling a spade a Schaufel?

Is it ok if I call it a Spaten instead? :ph34r:

If the majority prefers "Niedersachsen" over "Lower Saxony", you can have it. What do the Niedersachsens here think?

I feel like being contrary to willum, but I am forced to agree with him* that Niedersachsen is probably better.

Cheers,

Fairfax71

* - You can't imagine the sheer physical pain this causes me. :D

Oh, poor Fairfax, agreeing with Willum, that must be really painful for you... Funny, how everyone always feels the irresistable need to agree on everything against Bremen (those that know where it is, that is, the southerners tend to ignore everything above Frankfurt and below Sylt) and make fun of it, one would have thought that with beer, mercedes cars, football, chocolate and coffee being local products (ok, not anymore, but they used to be) we would be regarded as a excellent neighbour to have, but no, just heaps of sarcarsm...

I personally totally agree with Greater Bremen, excellent idea, and as we are at it, we could also change "Life in L. Saxony & Bremen" to "Life in Bremen and Surroundings", much more appropriate, if you ask me...

I know, I know, we will be outnumbered on this, rmwells, but we can console ourselves with the thought, that as nobody appreciates the qualities of Bremen, at least they all stay away and leave it to the true insiders to stay there in relatively piece and quiet, which is not so bad!

Hope to make it this Wednesday, see you then, Minnie

I personally totally agree with Greater Bremen, excellent idea

Bremen? Isn't that a suburb of Hamburg?

/me scampers away with a naughty look on his face

Cheers,

Fairfax71

Ooh, you little devil you! Which in it´s turn is on the northern outskirts of Hannover! Yes! :D

#15 Not half as much pain as you´re likely to experience if you come cheeky with me like that again, sunshine! :D

Minnie, I´ve been to Bremen often and like the town a lot (we have friends there).

Let´s stay with Niedersachsen and Bremen, shall we? You can, of course, say Bremen and Niedersachsen if you´d prefer. The Lower Saxons (they´re the small ones) would never agree to "Greater Bremen" , we´d have a civil war on our hands! ;)