English people who say "ta" for "thank you"

57 posts in this topic

I've had a London based clientele for 15 years and I'm wondering about what I perceive as the increased usage of the word "Ta". Seems like in the old days you'd sell 20 futures for someone and they'd typically respond with "cheers". Over the years more of our communicatopn has moved to chats and mails and I can't help but notice more and more of my colleagues, clients etc are responding with the (easier to type) "Ta". But it's not only that...more and more of them seem to be vocalizing the word in conversations.

Now the word irritates me somewhat. In the old days in the U.S. some guys might say "Ta ta" as a very swish way of saying goodbye and I just can't get rid of the swish connotation when I hear someone say "Ta" these days. Is it just me or is usage on the rise? Are my clients just trying to annoy the crap out of me? Is it more of a West End thing or is that also my imagination?

Don't know whether or not they're taking the piss, or just being twats but "ta" is just an old way of saying thanks. When I was a kid, so bloody long ago, I heard it all the time from the adults around me.

It's more and more common down South these days - I use it frequently, and I fucking hate Northern Dole Monkey scum.

"Ta" was the normal way of saying "thanks" when I were a lad. My perception is that "cheers" is more recent than "ta", so if it is ousting "cheers" then it is making a comeback rather than being vocalised SMS-speak.

It´s actually very common to hear "Ta" in conversation in the UK. It´s a bit strange for Saffers since it´s used in SA as a way of communicating with babies. But then so is calling everyone your mate, darling and love.

According to dictionary.com:

ta /tɑ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[tah]

interjection British Slang.

thank you.

[Origin: 1765–75; by infantile shortening and alter.]

Sounds like it's been around for a while.

Perfectly normal to hear it in Ireland too. Just short for thanks, as in "Ta muchly".

Common in New Zealand too, I think all correct English speakers use it, no? Just the incorrect English speakers (and Saffers it seems) who don't?

I use it in emails too & often say Ta very much, i'm a southerner if it makes any difference.

Happy New Year to you too mate.

Look, here's 20p - buy a cup of tea, or a lager or something and bugger off will you? ;)

I have always considered BlueDave more yer "bottle of meths" penny stamp.

If there is an increase in usage it will be the Jamie Oliver "mockney" effect. That and shite on telly like Eastenders.

Look, here's 20p - buy a cup of tea, or a lager or something and bugger off will you?

20p! ya cheap git :D

I both say it and write it, but I am a Northern lass. Usually in conjunction with 'chuck', as in, 'Ta, chuck!' Can't imagine southerners using it though, doesn't seem right!

Now the word irritates me somewhat.

Oooo! Get a load of 'im. :rolleyes:

AluminIum

AluminIum

ALUMINIUM

Sounds to me like you're you're working with a bunch of northerners.

Oi! We was sayin' "Ta!" even when I was a nippa, mucker.

Southerners bought the rights to the word 'Ta' back in 1998 for a pint of Fosters and a pack of pork scratchings, though the Northerners retained the option on 50p for a go on the 'gambler' if we sell the word on - the Germans have expressed interest as their language is fucking rubbish. So far we Southerners are happy with it. Ta.