What food do you miss as a Canadian or American?

524 posts in this topic

I bought dried cherries at either my Rewe or Real. They exist here.

I miss prime rib and king crab legs. That is it. I'm over the rest.

Brown sugar - mix one teaspoon of molasses per cup of white sugar.

Viennamom - you might like to try mixing a little honey in some mustard. Use more honey for honey mustard dressing.

Fruity

I bought dried cherries at either my Rewe or Real. They exist here.

I buy dried cherries all the time at Martkauf and use them to sink into my hot oatmeal.

i think there is one on base in Würzburg but not open to joe public, of course.

Würzburg has a Popeys chicken and a Cinnabon on base but no DQ.

Pecan pie. A decent BLT sandwich. Home made beans made in a big earthen ware pot with chicken and potatoes thrown in.

Cheddar cheese

...(any kind of hot toasted sandwitches, like a pannini)

Bagels

Cheese spreads that aren't just flavored with Schnittlauch (although it is good, I want sun dried tomatoes etc, smoked salmon)

All of these are available here in Munich

Pretty standard across Europe and not just in Munich, but I miss ice! and really cold drinks...and I'm sure soon enough I'll miss Dunkin Donuts coffee, as crappy as it might be

Anyone wanna do a guided tour of junk food survival training in Hamburg?!?!

I do I do I do...

When?

just got back from Seattle and I already steaks as big as your plate, the bottomless cup of coffee, water with ice when the waitron comes to the table, getting the check without having to flag down completely uninterested waitron, ahhhhh the DQ drive in!...

there's a Taco Bell in Grafenwöhr... but i don't think it's public. :(

and i miss separate, 50 yard long aisles for Frozen Food, Dairy Products, Beverages, CHIPS, Produce, and the meat counter...ahhhhh...

hmmmmm... Easter ain't too far off... might be time for another visit.

God people why not find a recipe and make the stuff yourself.Cornich pasties and pies i make myself along with the curries.But looking back all i see is fast food.Maybe its better that we cannot get all this stuff in good old Deutschland.

when the waitron comes to the table, getting the check without having to flag down completely uninterested waitron, ahhhhh the DQ drive in!...

that word is new to me. Did you make it up or is one from the barmy PC brigade?

Wow... I agree with so much here

Micro Brews.. German beer is good.. but hey... helles/dunkle/oder wiess... gets old at times.

And I have been missing SOOOOO much..

Good New England IceCreamm!!!

And red meat.. A good prime rib or Roast beef sandwich.. something a bit red in the middle.

but I miss ice!

I'll give you a tip here. Put water into a container, put it outside on your balkon...hey presto! You have ice. I'm not too sure of the voodoo magic that lies behind this, but it's true!

You meant nasty, right Timmeh?

It's just little things we miss...and it'll always be that way. I really miss big-ass bloody mary bars, free all-you-can-drink from 10am-noon, maybe that's just me. (the funny part is my favorite bar that had that special closed and re-opened as a German themed bar...with nothing German about it, not even the name)

No way, I think the ltd edition pumpkin pie ice cream from my local ice cream joint was the dog's bollocks. Best ice cream ever. But hey, I think we may just have different taste buds...you love Mountain Jew for example...bleeeeargh

that word is new to me. Did you make it up or is one from the barmy PC brigade?

It's the PC brigade.

There are other sites that claim "waitron" is the term of choice of the wait staff themselves, rather than "waiters" or "waitresses". Can't believe, though, that anyone would choose a job description that makes them sound like R2D2.

I waited tables throughout college and have never heard this term, and would have thought someone was high on pcp if they referred to me as one..

I don't get the whole cheddar cheese deficiency thing that I'm always reading about here. Everywhere I turn, there's cheddar cheese. I could probably get 10 different kinds from 5 different stores in the next hour.

Maybe there's a better range in Berlin? Near me, I can get that bright orange Irish Chedder only, and only in slices. I don't think it's produced in Ireland tho as it has zero of the chedder flavour.