What food do you miss as a Canadian or American?

524 posts in this topic

What energy is this? Where can one find this negative energy?

Timmeh, let me know if you find out. Can I use this negative energy for lightning bulbs in my house or cooking food or running the dish washer ?

Lavender, please tell me... what must be the price for 1 KWh ?

@Lavender Rain - thats all you miss? and I though I was content here!

- But I do call into question your observation that

a lot of the foods listed are foods high in sugar

Now, I wouldn't say the majority of the stuff is healthy! But taking a quick look at the list, to me it looks like less than 20% of the stuff listed would be classed as being high in sugar!

To note also, you can get the fixings for most "normal" stuff most anywhere you go. So it tends to be the "different" stuff that is hard to make (read lotsa artificial stuff) that we can't always find here that we might crave!

So to me, this list having a large content of "artificial" stuff or foods from a specific restaurant makes sense.

pita bread that you don't have to put in the toaster before you eat it

not from concentrate orange juice, like Tropicana

Hard to say, everyones different. What most non-texas 'tex mex' places loose is spicyness - so if that isnt your cup of tea then you probably wont be as impressed. Also, the basics (tacos, quesadillas, fajitas) are not going to be *that* different everywhere, although I have found that it is apparently inexplicably difficult to make something as basic as a flour tortilla since so many places screw it up.

No, I definitely love spicyness. Experimenting with spices is the reason I love cooking and also the reason I tend not to cook much German foods and favour cooking Asian or midde/South American cuisine. Can you explain to me the difference in the spiceyness between the Tex Mex you've found here and the 'original'? Is it simply that it's hotter or is the spice blend different, are there perhaps certain ingredients that are missing here? I'm interested if there's really something my pallet is lacking or if there's an element of the phychological influence in your perceptions.

@Lavender Rain - thats all you miss? and I though I was content here!

Yeah, that's all I really miss. I know you can get sushi here, but Kamehachi makes gourmet sushi. The pic I posted doesn't do the food they prepare justice as that's just their basic stuff. I'm really disappointed when I eat sushi here and I've eaten it in many different cities over the last ten years.

No, I definitely love spicyness. Experimenting with spices is the reason I love cooking and also the reason I tend not to cook much German foods and favour cooking Asian or midde/South American cuisine. Can you explain to me the difference in the spiceyness between the Tex Mex you've found here and the 'original'? I'm interested if there's really something my pallette is lacking or if there's an element of the phychological influence in your perceptions.

I haven't found any spicyness in Mexican food here at all. Im not too sure they know what a habanero pepper is over here :) Im sure i'm somewhat biased, but to be fair I am originally a yankee so I didn't exactly grow up with the stuff... Maybe Munich has better translations of it as well, i've only been to places here in Hamburg as well.. (Lack of adequate spicyness is also a problem they tend to have in the northern US places that throw ground beef on a tortilla with some american cheese and call it 'mexican')

You can get a variety of different hot peppers in the grocery stores in Munich. This includes habaneros, I always keep a pack on hande. They usually come in a little package together and are listed on the back according to their hotness. Some are edible and some burn your mouth off but are good in small quantities in a dish.

I think the average German pallet can not handle much hotness because they're not used to it which is why all the asian restaurants tone down their dishes to cater to the consumer. They usually have no problem spicing things up for you if you ask.

Sorry guys, the food was alright but I wasn't really impressed at least after all the build up I got from the Texans on here about how awesome it's supposed to be.

While the best Tex-Mex in Houston beats the shit out of the best here, you can't walk into any old place and expect it to be top-notch. After all, Houston has more restaurants per capita than any other city in the US (and possibly the world) - they can't all be good.

Unfortunately, it sounds like you missed out on the good ones. Cafe Adobe, Pico's, Berryhill, La Mexicana, Don Pico's - those are the places you need(ed) to go.

Yeah I went to Pappasitos,

Pappasitos is to Tex-Mex what Nordsee is to seafood. It's OK, but there are literally hundreds of better options around the corner from every Pappasitos.

some place named after a famous boxer and another non chain tex mex restaurant that I can't remember the name.

Felix on Westheimer? Awful. Worst I've had in Houston.

Pappasitos is to Tex-Mex what Nordsee is to seafood.

I do know about Nordsee and this just make me laugh :lol: .

Yeah I missed out on those ones, I'll have to try them next time. The one named after the boxer wasn't Felix though, I'll try to remember.

I did, however, go to a good steak restaurant called 'Taste of Texas' while I was there.

Yeah I missed out on those ones, I'll have to try them next time. The one named after the Boxer wasn't Felix though, I'll try to remember.

I did, however, go to a good steak restaurant called Taste of Texas while I was there.

Taste of Texas is good, but its no Pappa Bros Steak House.. Churrascos.. Marks... Man, now I remember good food again, its depressing..

Pappasitos is a chain but its nowhere near as bad as norsee

That's why I'm laughing because I know how bad horrendous Nordsee is :lol: ! Now that's friggin "judgmental".

Going to krystal(south) or white castle(north) at 2am and buying 20 of those delicious square burgers at the drive through with a healthy dose of chili/cheese fries.

I do not think of food as an energy source, like some of the germs I have met while living here. I enjoy food because of the taste. I weigh 65kg, not really interested in healthy cooking.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I miss the FREEDOM of going to a hundred different food places at any time of day or night to buy something already prepared.

Living here in germany has erased 98% of the food I grew up enjoying. I would slap my momma right now for some boiled peanuts. If I was rich I would go back to america, but money is the issue. Just moved here so my daughter could get to know the other 50% of her family. Spent every penny we had to move here. She asked me last night if we could go home, really broke my heart.

Pappasitos is a chain but its nowhere near as bad as norsee

Mama Ninfa's drops a deuce on Pappasitos!

I just really never liked Pappasitos - they drown everything with sauce and cheese - that sounds good on paper (screen) but not in practice. All visitors to Houston should go to Mama Ninfa's to have fajitas *ahem* tacos al carbon *ahem* where they were invented.

Yeah I missed out on those ones, I'll have to try them next time.

Def ask on the forum! My favorite thing to do in Houston is eat... so good...

Ben and Jerry's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream (no B&J's in Austria and I've never found PBC in Germany when I have seen Ben and Jerry's)

Monterey Jack cheese

Colby cheese

Havarti cheese (I had this all the time in northern Germany, I have bought it in southern Germany, and the Austrians are clueless about it, even in specialty cheese shops/counters I have visited)

Wendy's chocolate Frosties

Dairy Queen blizzards

Pies!

Sweet corn on the cob

Red Lobster (Nordsee isn't the same)

Flavored coffee (stuff like hazelnut roast)

Root beer

Honey wheat bread-- most breads here are either the white variety or they have a bunch of rye in them-- I miss grainy breads that are soft!

Decaf black tea bags-- found in France and Italy but not in Germany or Austria. I always bring back several boxes from trips abroad and have visitors from the U.S. bring some when they come.

Dried cherries and blueberries-- these are the 2 dried fruits I've not found anywhere in this part of the world

In Austria I miss regular Miracle Whip/Miracel Whip so I stock up when I visit Germany.

If I moved away from this part of the world I would stock up on those Knorr salad dressing mix packs (the ones where you add the spice packet's contents to olive oil and water) and Dallmayr coffee and I think that'd be it.

What kind of pies are you referring to? You can make them easily enough. Although it's damned hard to make a good steak & cheese pie that compares to home ones.

Does Vienna not have corn on the cob? That's no problem to find here in Munchkin