What food do you miss as a Canadian or American?

524 posts in this topic

BBQ (ribs, brisket, pulled pork sandwich)

Clam chowder

Chicken corn chowder

Brunswick stew

Mexican food (would even be happy with taco bell right now)

krystals

Red Lobster (lobster pizza, crab stuffed mushrooms, lobster&crab cheese dip)

Fried squash

Turnips

Collards

Field peas

Whole foods chicken salad (eating pizza while shopping)

Tbone steaks

Fresh seafood (30 different kinds of fish at whole foods)

Waffle house (hash browns with everything), Dennys (grand slam breakfast) and Ihop (überlicious waffles)

Wendy's (stuffed baked potato)

Lenders Bagels

Cheddar cheese

Tortillas (that dont cost €3.48 a pack)

Smoked turkey and chicken breast at Publix

Southern style potato salad

Kentucky fried chicken

Dressing with turkey at thanks giving

Campbells soup

Oatmeal (packaged)

Pickled okra

Okra

BOILED PEANUTS! (it is a southern thing)

Bacon

1000 different kinds of cereal

Buying tylenol or any other medication I need for a cold etc (you can buy it at any gas station)

Boston baked beans

500 different kinds of frozen dinners

Grits

Subway (american subway really is different than in germany)

Outback restaurant (victoria steak butterflied with blooming onion)

Deep dish pizza

Kraft macaroni and cheese

Biscuits

Italian sausage

Colonial bread (german bread is so hard it takes the skin off the roof of my mouth) some exceptions

Slim jims

Baking potatoes

Restaurants who are open from lunch-midnight

Red velvet cake

Pound cake

American cakes with icing

Pecan pies

Root beer

Dr pepper

Cigarettes that have 20 in a pack instead of 17

People who bag the groceries for you and take them to you're car

Express lane for those who have fewer than 10 items (grocery store)

Self checkout lanes

People who say hello just passing by

PERSONAL SPACE

People who have an understanding of deodorant

24 hour restaurants

Pizza buffets

Pizza Hut (italian sausage pizzas with extra cheese)

Mazzio's pizza

Scrambled dogs (hot dog smothered with chili)

Pillsbury orange rolls

Muffaletta sandwiches (maybe the spelling is wrong)

Arby's roast beef sandwiches

Chicken wraps at Applebees (all you can eat ribs night)

Ruby Tuesdays

Buffalo wings

Mozzarella sticks

Nachos

BOILED PEANUTS!

Spinach and artichoke dip

500 different kinds of BBQ sauces

A1 steak sauce

Fig newtons

Pepperidge farms cookies

Danish wedding cookies

Crackers

Doritos

Tortilla chips

Not having to recycle every damn thing

Onion rings

Purple hull peas

Corn on the cob

Breakfast sausages

Mt. Dew

Dozens of different kinds of ice cream (breyers and ben and jerrys)

Cole slaw

Kraft mayo

Just to list a few things, I can be more detailed but thought this would be enough

ha cendaf, but you forgot a nice creamy cheese cake

and a banana pudding too :lol: .

post-14005-1199626599.jpg

Pappasitos is fairly good as far as chain mexican goes, and there are tons of single restaraunts/holes in the wall that are great.. I am curious as to where Eleanor Rigby went that served mexican food like the shit here, Taco Cabana or something???

Yeah I went to Pappasitos, some place named after a famous boxer and another non chain tex mex restaurant that I can't remember the name. As I said, salsa and queso were good, margaritas were good, enchiladas were probably worse than the ones I've had here, quesadillas were about the same as here although larger and fajitas were the same. Guac was worse but that might have been a personal taste thing as I like garlic in mine and none of the stuff I tasted in Houston had garlic in it.

Sorry guys, the food was alright but I wasn't really impressed at least after all the build up I got from the Texans on here about how awesome it's supposed to be.

No accounting for taste I suppose, but if you do ever return try to branch out from the generic basic dishes ;) I've never had a decent Chile Rellano outside of TX.

OK I will relieve some of your aches and pass some information concerning food shortcuts.

Pizza Hut,Subway and KFC are here in Germany incl. Hamburg :D

Where to get the "stuff"

Oreo's are in stock at REWE and EDEKA (reg.,white and double choc)

Doritos have been seen at REWE just shortly.

Betty crocker mixes and icings plus Aunt Jemima and some other stuff like Poptarts are available at Karstadt(with food department).

Just some stuff.

http://www.kfc.de/

http://www.pizzahut.de/en/stores/liste

http://www.subway-sandwiches.de/

Anyone wanna do a guided tour of junk food survival training in Hamburg?!?!

anyone got eggos out there :(

Could be that my own cooking is so much better than anything I've ever had in a restaurant that my expectations are a little higher than most. :P

Joking. As someone said, it could just be that I can't appreciate the subtle flavour differences as I didn't grow up with it. Perhaps someone could explain the difference to me, I'm genuinely interested.

After reviewing the list of food on this thread, what I find most fascinating is a lot of the foods listed are foods high in sugar, (glycemic index), refined or processed carbohydrates, artificial color and food additives, and hydrogenated fats. These food are typically referred to as the standard North American diet and goes by the acronym of SAD.

After reviewing the list of food on this thread, what I find most fascinating is a lot of the foods listed are foods high in sugar, (glycemic index), refined or processed carbohydrates, artificial color and food additives, and hydrogenated fats. These food are typically referred to as the standard North American diet and goes by the acronym of SAD.

so, maybe the rest of us are not as uptight as you about food. Heck, its not like that is the only things we eat, I do enjoy salads and tuna fish too, but I can get that stuff here.

If I am going to use my extra calories once in awhile, I want it to be something I really really enjoy.

I always find it amazing reading your post, that they come across as judging everybody, from smoking, drinking, eating or excersice, do you have any fun in life at all?

Oh god, I took a look at your link and the first thing that popped out at me were those Pop Tarts. I couple of months ago I did some research on those Pop Tart and found out they have a glycemic index very close to pure sugar and many artificial ingredients. This is what many children in America are consuming in the morning before school. Scary!

Regarding the Mountain Dew, I've been told it has the most caffeine than any other soda on the market and is great to use for hangovers :D .

Could be that my own cooking is so much better than anything I've ever had in a restaurant that my expectations are a little higher than most.

Joking. As someone said, it could just be that I can't appreciate the subtle flavour differences as I didn't grow up with it. Perhaps someone could explain the difference to me, I'm genuinely interested.

Hard to say, everyones different. What most non-texas 'tex mex' places loose is spicyness - so if that isnt your cup of tea then you probably wont be as impressed. Also, the basics (tacos, quesadillas, fajitas) are not going to be *that* different everywhere, although I have found that it is apparently inexplicably difficult to make something as basic as a flour tortilla since so many places screw it up.

You can actually find mountain dew here! I am not a fan of it, but a friend has found it at many gas stations!

@ ER - I can't speak for Texas but I have spent a fair bit of time in Mexico and Southern Arizona, and the "real" Mexican and Tex-Mex is amazing! It puts most of the crap here to shame! Although we did have some pretty good food at El Patio last week! First actual Mole sauce I have found here! And good margaritas too!

@ Lavender Rain - What do you miss from home

I was fortunate enough to go back to Texas for Christmas, and I definitely gained ten pounds due to indulging in copious amounts of Tex-Mex, BBQ, and home-cooking. I'll have the next 10-12 months to work it off before I'm back in the States though, so it was worth it. Though I have a feeling sometime around March I may break down and try the "Mexican food" here out of desperation.

-rid myself of negative energies that cost me time, effort and nerves.

so, maybe the rest of us are not as uptight as you about food. .

I always find it amazing reading your post, that they come across as judging everybody, from smoking, drinking, eating or excersice, do you have any fun in life at all?

Uh, didn't you say you were going to work on your negative energy this year. Your negative energy is showing once again!

Your being consumed by an over abundance of negative energy is worse than eating crap food.

Right now, my fun is laughing at your obnoxiousness.

Come on you are going to lambast pop tarts but Mountain Dew is okay?

Ok, let me be clear I wasn't judging anyone, I was just making an observation about some of the foods posted here.

Regarding the comment about Mountain Dew I was just saying what I know about it. I don't drink sodas.

If you want me to say something about Mountain Dew I can, but then maybe I will be accused of being "judgmental" :lol: .

@Mook: I've already posted what I miss. It's sushi from a Japanese restaurant in Chicago.

@Timmeh: See Carm, it appears she may have more than her fair share of negative energy (and yes, now I'm being judgmental) .