What food do you miss as a Canadian or American?

525 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

I think so. I can't even eat cake or brownies or things like that over there. Too sweet yet I used to like it. 

I had the same thing happen to me, all sweets and even some regular food in the US now taste too sweet to me.
We do almost 100% home cooking when in the US, that cuts out the corn syrup and prevents Mr Metall's gastritis from coming back.

(His doctor recommended that, and he was impressed that Mr Metall went and did it - his gastritis healed without medication. ;) )

On 10/14/2020, 3:01:32, engelchen said:

Have you considered mixing your own? You already know the spices that are included and what you like.

I hadn't considered making my own -- until now! I've checked the link and I'm intrigued, thanks. Once I've used up what I got, I can surely do no worse than just making it myself.

22 hours ago, Narjiz said:

Do they load food more with sugar in North America or what? 

Yup. You definitely notice this when you've been gone for a long while and go back.

On 10/14/2020, 9:44:54, Metall said:

Did you order takeout or eat at the restaurant?

The Munich Curry Night is always looking for new Indian restaurants with tasty food and the ability to supply heat when required!

They do both - and I have tried both, but its not the easiest place to get to without a bus or with a bit of a walk 

7 hours ago, yesterday said:

They do both - and I have tried both, but its not the easiest place to get to without a bus or with a bit of a walk 

It looks like the restaurant is at Truderingerstrasse 212, that's in walking distance of the subway.

On 10/13/2020, 3:23:49, klingklang77 said:

Well, you can also get Valentina (the extra spicy one is my go to; I sometimes wake up to a nice spoonful of that in the morning and that’s it) off of Amazon.

Thanks for the pointer.  I came back from my US trip with a suitcase full of hot sauce, so I am set for a while, but I also ordered some Valentina from Amazon.  It definitely makes every day a bit better!