What food do you miss as a Canadian or American?

525 posts in this topic

I used to miss beavertails until I realized that langos is literally the same thing.  Poutine I do miss but I ate it so rarely in Canada (it's not a food you can or should eat regularly...) that my visits to the Canuck rellies suffice to satisfy me on that point. 

Pizza with thick gooey cheese on a crust that stays is something that I miss.  The closest thing I can find to that is Pizza Hut, which is suboptimal.  Domino's Germany seems to be simply a rebranding of Joey's, which is the closest non-PH approximation to American pizza I can find in Germany.  I was not a fan of Domino's in the USA, wish Papa Johns would come to central Europe.  Saarbrücken doesn't have decent authentic-Italian pizza either, although I think the authentic pizza is overrated if you grew up with the notion that the point of pizza is the stretchy cheese. :P

1 hour ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

I used to miss beavertails until I realized that langos is literally the same thing. 

Which is Fried Dough in the USA. We can only get Langos at the Christmas market each year (I really should be happy about that) But I do love Langos with powder Sugar even if I can never pronounce Powder Sugar in a way that a German understands. (It always sounds right to me ;) )

7 hours ago, programdirector said:

Which is Fried Dough in the USA. We can only get Langos at the Christmas market each year (I really should be happy about that) But I do love Langos with powder Sugar even if I can never pronounce Powder Sugar in a way that a German understands. (It always sounds right to me ;) )

I lived in the USA for quite a while but did not really have fried dough there, except at some "native people's food under colonization" exhibition type things -- "fry bread", a food invented entirely based on the fact that reservations were supplied with rations of flour, oil, and sugar with the expectation that native people would be able to magically find food in the places that were not their traditional grounds for cultivation/hunting/etc...  Does it come with the cinnamon-and-sugar toppings and the cheese-and-garlic toppings? Both langos and beavertails have basically the same standard topping options, I always assumed it was because the Beavertails stands in Canada were probably started by Hungarians or something...

6 hours ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

I lived in the USA for quite a while but did not really have fried dough there, except at some "native people's food under colonization" exhibition type things -- "fry bread", a food invented entirely based on the fact that reservations were supplied with rations of flour, oil, and sugar with the expectation that native people would be able to magically find food in the places that were not their traditional grounds for cultivation/hunting/etc...  Does it come with the cinnamon-and-sugar toppings and the cheese-and-garlic toppings? Both langos and beavertails have basically the same standard topping options, I always assumed it was because the Beavertails stands in Canada were probably started by Hungarians or something...

Yea the best "fried bread" I ever had was on an Indian Reservation in Monument Valley. Cinnamon sugar is common but not cheese and garlic.

15 hours ago, Eupathic Impulse said:

Pizza with thick gooey cheese on a crust that stays is something that I miss.  The closest thing I can find to that is Pizza Hut, which is suboptimal.  Domino's Germany seems to be simply a rebranding of Joey's, which is the closest non-PH approximation to American pizza I can find in Germany.  I was not a fan of Domino's in the USA, wish Papa Johns would come to central Europe.  Saarbrücken doesn't have decent authentic-Italian pizza either, although I think the authentic pizza is overrated if you grew up with the notion that the point of pizza is the stretchy cheese. :P

16 hours ago, programdirector said:

Yeah, Pizza Hut sure beats the flat tasteless crust with very little and weird toppings (Zucchini does NOT belong on Pizza!) that Germans call pizza.  Was also extremely disappointed with real Italian pizza. But Pizza Hut doesn't touch the best pizza.   I miss Detroit Style deep dish (baked in a parts pan).  Even better than Chicago style...

12 minutes ago, norcal_sf said:

Hush puppies, root beer and cocktails without mass amounts of sugary juice. 

Local Deichman store stocks Hush Puppies!  Imported from UK.!!

I would like to get/make a friend some Ranch dressing for his Birthday.  I do not want to spend 10 fucking euros for it on Amazon, not just because I don't like amazon.

Has anyone priced it at Karstadt recently? I so rarely go in there. 

Do you have a favorite recipe for Ranch from scratch? as well as the mayo?

Has anyone found Buttermilch pulver in their store? is knack und back similar?

thanks, 

With me that just boosts the dry-mouth!  :lol: I reach for sparkly water these days.

What does 'stoned' refer to in the context of the packaging? Wheat thins, all good - skinny wee flat cracker things, but stoned? All I can imagine is stoned olives, plums etc, but how would that go? Stone ground? Possible?

I may just have drunk the last G&T a bit too fast ;)

Hot sauce.  I miss easy access to good hot sauce.

The locally-made stuff sold in supermarkets here is weak, watered-down crap (and Tabasco isn't hot sauce, it's just pepper-flavored vinegar).  I can buy sauces on Amazon.de, but the selection is very limited (and includes none of my favorites), stuff is frequently backordered/unavailable, and prices are high.  My favorite daily-use Caribbean sauce (Matouk's Trinidad Scorpion Sauce) cannot be found in the EU.

In the US city I moved from, there is a store that sells nothing but hot sauce.  It's awesome.  I can't imagine such a store even existing in bland, boring Germany :(

45 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

My favorite daily-use Caribbean sauce (Matouk's Trinidad Scorpion Sauce) cannot be found in the EU.

This one?  Dutch site.  They ship to Germany.  In stock 2.75 euro for 150 ml.  10 euro minimum order, plus 11.50 euro shipping, but up to 23 kg that would be quite a few bottles, but hey if you miss it that much.

https://www.tokogembira.nl/en/matouks-trinidad-scorpion-pepper-sauce.html

matouk.JPG

@Space Cowboy not sure how it is where you live, or if these kinds of stores are even available to you but in my area when I need some heat I head to the local Turkish, Arabic, Asian, African or Indian grocer.  You might feel funny walking into an "Afro-shop" with its shelves of cocoa butter and wall of fake hair pieces but a lot of them actually do keep an assortment of food goods, including bottles of sauces as well as a freezer which may or may not contain bags of scotch bonnets, in case you were ever so inclined to chuck a handful of them into a blender with a bit of salt and oil of your choice for a nice sauce...?  Although that may not check your criterion of "easily available," hmm...

47 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

This one?  Dutch site.  They ship to Germany.  In stock 2.75 euro for 150 ml.  10 euro minimum order, plus 11.50 euro shipping, but up to 23 kg that would be quite a few bottles, but hey if you miss it that much.

https://www.tokogembira.nl/en/matouks-trinidad-scorpion-pepper-sauce.html

matouk.JPG

Wow!  Thanks!  That's the stuff.  I wish they sold the big bottles though, but even the small version is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Edit:  the shipping cost is tongue-blistering :angry: