What food do you miss as a Canadian or American?

524 posts in this topic

Monte Cristo Sandwiches (corned beef on rye with sauerkraut)

That's a Rueben Sandwich you're talking about, a Monte Christo sandwich is filled with ham and cheese and the bread is dipped in egg (like french toast) and fried in the pan. Sometimes served with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and dipped in plum sauce. Yummm.

That's a Rueben Sandwich you're talking about, a Monte Christo sandwich is filled with ham and cheese and the bread is dipped in egg (like french toast) and fried in the pan. Sometimes served with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and dipped in plum sauce. Yummm.

Monte Cristo

post-14005-1199574695.jpg

Reuben Sandwich

post-14005-1199575008_thumb.jpg

@ junebug84:

Vanilla problem solving: buy vanilla bean(s) buy a small (~100 mls) bottle of vodka.

place bean(s) in vodka. let sit for several weeks (okay, so if you put in 2 vanilla beans, it should take about 2 weeks) Yes, they do sell something resembling vanilla extract at many grocery stores, but it's different. adding the vanilla powder to the vodka bottle helps too, especially if you're as impatient as I.

the stuff they have here doesn't work well when cooking, because if the recipe doesn't call for other liquids and you use the powder stuff you have to add water and then it doesn't taste the same. the vanilla aroma doesn't cut it, i cook a lot and there is a considerable difference in the taste. but the vodka thing i think i will try, sounds interesting.

as far as all the other stuff that i mentioned that everyone else can find...i guess we just live in a weird town. i can't wait to be home and can go to the bagel shop.

I keep hearing this from my Texan friends so I was very excited about trying proper Tex Mex on my many recent trips to Houstan and made sure to try several different Tex Mex restaurants. Funny thing, is everything i tasted, even in the really authentic Tex Mex restaurants in Houston tasted no better and really no different than the stuff you can get here. Perhaps not the Sausalitos style tex Mex but anything I've ever had at Escobar, Pequenos or even Tijuana's has been just as good.

Granted, the salsa and queso (if it's even available) here isn't as good but the main dishes are.

Ewwww. You ate Tex-Mex in HoustOn?! I hope you didn't go to anything that resembled a chain restaurant. You've gotta head a little closer to Mexico.

Granted, any fool can cook a pot of pinto beans and throw a piece of meat on the grill. Getting the salsa, queso and other spices right is key. Otherwise it's just another schnitzel.

Oh my

Slurpies are up there!

A really good steak! (they just don't do beef so much over here)

A good deep dish pizza!

Good Salsa

Good Mexican food

A Budget sandwich from Spolumbo's!

A Peter's Drive-In Run!

Cheddar Cheese (I know you can find some here, but its just not the same)

A really good burger

Wing nite!

But I am sure the list would be just as long for stuff I would miss from here!

Montreal:

bagels (Fairmont bakery straight from the oven)

cabane à sucre, especially les oreilles de crisse, basically bacon rind fried to a tight curl and soaked in (what else?) maple syrup

la maudite (beer)

don't miss: poutine

Hong Kong

dim sum

the atmosphere of shopping in wet markets

vast choice of asian restaurants

don't miss: stinky tofu

Vancouver

dim sum

vast choice of asian restaurants

shopping for ingredients - could get anything fresh

Anything at Milestones when it first opened at English Bay

<heavy sigh>

don't miss: Tim Horton's

Ewwww. You ate Tex-Mex in HoustOn?! I hope you didn't go to anything that resembled a chain restaurant. You've gotta head a little closer to Mexico.

Granted, any fool can cook a pot of pinto beans and throw a piece of meat on the grill. Getting the salsa, queso and other spices right is key. Otherwise it's just another schnitzel.

Ah ok. I assumed Texas was the place to go for Tex Mex, my mistake. :P

Cheese fries. I'm sure one chain or other will bring some version will be here eventually, though.

oh and Chinese take-out.

Ah ok. I assumed Texas was the place to go for Tex Mex, my mistake.

No, no, no - you assumed correctly - just please stay out of Houston.

Anything from the Cracker Barrel or Red Lobster restaurants. Where's Denny's for some breakfast?

jimmy dean sausages, biscuits and gravy

shake n' bake seasoning mix

stove top stuffing

Mrs Smith's pumpkin pies (and apple too)

topped with Breyer's vanilla bean ice cream

fresh salmon

Fresh flounder

fresh sole

fresh cod

rock lobster tails

fresh lobsters

snow crab legs

Alaskan king crab legs

langostinos

lobster rolls (new england style)

cocktail shrimp rings

new england clam chowder

low sodium butter, chips, mixes etc

low sodium crackers (premium or zesta) or Pringles sour creme and onion

pork n beans (van de camps)

turnip greens

fried okra

ranch dressing

real tortilla chips and medium salsa

Mrs. Grass' noodle soup

Jiffy smooth peanut butter

chex mix

center cut bacon

chicken wings with a punch

equal sugar substitute

red delicious apples from Washington state

golden margaritas on the rocks

Indiana or Michigan sweet corn on the cob dripping with butter (low sodium of course)

mom and pop BBQ (pulled pork or beef) around the corner (just the smell makes me hungry)

Kraft grated parmesean and romano cheese mix

Sliced Whole Wheat bread in loaves

No, no, no - you assumed correctly - just please stay out of Houston.

Bullshit, Houston has tons of good restaraunts and lots of good tex-mex. Plenty of shit too, funny how huge cities are like that. Dallas is no better cuisine wise.. I cant recall how Austin was since I spent my college years there too drunk to remember anything.

Pappasitos is fairly good as far as chain mexican goes, and there are tons of single restaraunts/holes in the wall that are great.. I am curious as to where Eleanor Rigby went that served mexican food like the shit here, Taco Cabana or something???

Funny thing, is everything i tasted, even in the really authentic Tex Mex restaurants in Houston tasted no better and really no different than the stuff you can get here.

I think you went to the wrong places or ordered the wrong things (the basics are... basic). The Tex-Mex/Mex here is terrible compared to Houston (lived there for 4.5 years, here for 4). Maybe the differences are sublteties that require exntended exposure to appreciate :P.

El Patio on Herzogstr is good - much better than Tijuana's, Escobar (chili in a Bloody Mary glass!? WTF!?), etc.