Direct debit for magazine subscription

21 posts in this topic

Hi all,

it's my 22nd today and I've been gifted a subscription to a magazine, but they want it done via direct debit. They've sent me a Einzugsermächtigung but it says "nur bei deutschem Konto". I live in the UK and the account with which this would be paid is an English one.

Do I just fill in the blank fields (Konto-Nr., Bankleitzahl, bei [is this the name of the account holder??], datum, unterschrift) and send it to them in Germany? Also it says to reply within 14 days, but we only received the letter two days ago (yet it's dated 17.12.07), will it still get processed?

Cheers in advance

Is the "nur bei deutschem Konto" just for their bank? It seems strange because I chose the Ausländer option on their website, that's all. It's 11Freunde magazine if anyone would care to look.

Beware of taking out a German magazine subscription, with most of them if you don't cancel them, often 3 months in advance, they will be automatically renewed for another year and the money hoovered out of your bank account. Of course if you are in England this may be more difficult for them but I still wouldn't do it unless you are certain that it can be cancelled at any time.

I don't think an Einzugsermächtigung is possible with a non german account. Call them. You'll probably have to pay upfront.

it's my 22nd today and I've been gifted a subscription to a magazine, but they want it done via direct debit.

That's a crap gift if you have to pay for it yourself...

Do I just fill in the blank fields (Konto-Nr., Bankleitzahl, bei [is this the name of the account holder??], datum, unterschrift)

The "bei" bit probably refers to the name of the bank.

The "Einzugsermächtigung" only works from a German bank, but you should also be able to pay them directly by transferring them the money direct to their German bank from your UK one. Most magazines prefer the "Einzugsermächtigung" as it tends to lock in the customer for the long term, but they cannot enforce it - there's nothing to stop you paying on demand each year...

That's a crap gift if you have to pay for it yourself...

From his handle it sounds like he might be in Yorkshire. That's the sort of gift I send too...

I'm a bit lost on this one.

Their web site says you can pay "neben Rechnung".

So they send you a bill for EUR 50.

My Bank (HSBC) has an online facility to pay net amounts

to EURO accounts in Germany (you need the BIC and IBAN) - no problem.

As they have a price for Europaischer Ausland they must expect payment

from non-German bank accounts.

It's not really clear what the OP actually received. Most magazine subscriptions send a bill, an Überweisungsformula (pre-printed funds transfer form) and an "Einzugsermächtigung" (direct debit authority) - the latter in the hope the subscriber will complete it for subsequent years. Although the prepared Überweisung contains bank information, it's probably not enough for a transfer from UK where an IBAN and BIC/SWIFT number will be required, but this should be easy to obtain directly from the originator. As the OP hasn't been back on TT since the day after the original post, he probably doesn't care any more in any case.

Can I ask a question? I have had a german-language magazine subscription for the past 18 months or so, but have decided that it was easier (and the same per-copy price) for me to just buy it at the news agent. I sent the magazine an email to cancel, but they are now telling me I have to pay for another year !

I have signed no contract of any sort, and have paid quarterly via individual paper bank transfer, so they cannot debit my account directly. Therefore, I plan to simply stop paying and wait for things to eventually stop. I have no concerns about my credit rating since I do not have any debt nor do I plan to take on any.

Philosophically, is this not a bit like the local Lidl trying to make a dead person's family pay for an extra year's groceries ?

-- Ann

I have signed no contract of any sort

So on what grounds are they asking you to pay for another year? :unsure:

Unfortunately, unlike your comparison, you are not dead, but we have to assume that while alive you entered into a contract (implied and confirmed by your acceptance of their conditions when you signed up and subsequent receipt of magazine issues) to receive the magazine regularly with a defined cancellation period which they now want to enforce. Not paying won't get you easily out of the problem as it will escalate the debt with associated debt recovery costs, and end up with a court enforcement for the (now enlarged) debt and visits from a bailiff for the money, or seizure goods to the equivalent value. All of this notwithstanding the negative entry on your credit record, which not only is an issue if you want a loan, but will affect applications for a credit card, a new bank account or even a new mobile phone contract.

Precisely.

The magazine's own web site makes it look easy peasy http://www.aboalarm.de/kuendigungsschreiben/focus-abo-kuendigen , but I appear to have subscribed through some other delivery service. I would never sign a " contract " or set up direct debit for something as silly as a magazine.

Some one at work says it might be a predatory practice to see if old, confused people will just continue paying because they are afraid of " authority " or stuffing their credit rating.

-- Ann

Edit: Blimey. For a stupid magazine subscription ? People must either be pretty petty or have too much time on their hands.

So who is the "other delivery service"? I'll warrant they sent you confirmation of their terms and conditions when you started the subscription which included terms for cancellation, often 3 months to the end of the year to prevent a full year renewal. You do at least need to clarify this. Simply stopping payments will not stop the subscription

That's not the magazine's own website by the way, but a (chargeable) cancellation service.

The magazine's website requires cancellation 6 weeks before the anniversary of subscribing, otherwise it's extended for another year.

Could you tell us which delivery service you signed up with? Then we could check their T&C and see what it says.

It was PVZ http://www.pvz.de/. Some one at work told me that the law is pretty explicit in that since I sent them an email cancellation notice in late June, the most I could be held responsible for was one more quarterly billing cycle through September. Their demand for another entire year appears to be the " fishing expedition " I thought it was.

I sent a FAX citing the cancellation date and referencing the acknowledged cancellation date, so I should be sorted. Thank you for your comments.

-- Ann

I sent a FAX citing the cancellation date and referencing the acknowledged cancellation date, so I should be sorted.

I hope you are right, but I somehow doubt it. If you sent them an email in June they would normally acknowledge it. If they didn't then maybe they didn't see the email, and it's up to you to prove they received it. Normally you would cancel a subscription like this by registered mail, so it's difficult for them to wriggle out of. As I pointed out, Focus itself requires cancellation 6 weeks before the subscription anniversary, or the subscription is renewed for another year, and it's perfectly legal. Send in the cancellation as much as a day late, and you are saddled for another year.

Let us know how they react - good luck!

Trying to kündige an Einfach Hausgemacht abo.

Was expecting to go on the website and find it easily, but searching for kündigung is not fruitful (for me). 

Is widerruf the same thing? I assume that is for return of something crap, rather than just the realisation that past a certain point, I am bored by household information. They've just sent my bill for the next period, so maybe now is a good time.

Anyone already been down this road and successfully sorted it?

Widerruf is during the 14 day cooling-off period after you have first ordered.

You need to send them a Kündigung, either as a signed letter by post: https://www.kuendigung.org/einfach-hausgemacht-kuendigen/

or by e-mail to service@landlust.de: https://www-verbraucherzentrale-de.translate.goog/wissen/vertraege-reklamation/kundenrechte/worauf-sie-bei-der-kuendigung-per-email-achten-sollten-13132?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-GB&_x_tr_pto=ajax,nv