"Impressum" on websites in Germany

88 posts in this topic

I just read this on slashdot:

It is required by law that anyone who publishes even a single web page on the Web (in Germany) enclose an "Impressum", an imprint that notifies visitors whom to contact or hold accountable for the content.

I know that t-online will automatically generate the impressum page for sites located on their servers, but I didn't know there was a law related to it.

Does anyone know more about this? Is it really required by law?

Yup, I was told that I had to have one on my work homepage when I first got here.

The IT guy was very suprised that I'd never heard of it before and didn't know the english translation.

The Slashdot article is inaccurate. In brief the law is this:

Impressums are only required if you're selling stuff over the web (goods or a service) - basically any kind of business, large or small. If you've just got a personal page with, for example, your holiday photos then no, you don't need an impressum.

The reason for this law is so that businesses can be held accountable. It also gives confidence to consumers that they're not being ripped off by cowboy or fake websites.

To find out all the details do a google search on "Teledienstgesetz".

Curious, what do they base a "german site" on? .de domain? Hosted in Germany? Core audience in Germany? The language?

So if I were to setup a fake website to con people out of their hard earned Euros I'd have to put my own name and address on it and not a fake one because otherwise it would be against the law? Riiiight... :rolleyes:

whats an Impressum when its at home anyway

It's a page that shows the name and contact details of the person(s) responsible for the content of the site.

For an example, go to any site hosted on t-online and open /.impressum.html

Yeah the guys at the GEA told me that they wouldn't put a link to www.munichnights.com on there for me because I didn't have an impressum on the site. I checked it out afterwards and found out I didn't need to have one as I wasn't selling anything or trying to convince people to join or contribute to anything. As I wasn't particularly arsed I didn't reply to the GEA guy.

But as Randy said, what denotes a site that falls within the realm of German law? Hosted here, written in German, .de extension, no humour on the site, what?

Ummmm, isn't there a MunichNights shop? I am pretty sure that having a shop would fall under the category of trying to sell goods.

having a shop would fall under the category of trying to sell goods

you have obviously not been in germany long enough. you will find that over here in many instances, "having a shop" falls under the category "keeping out those nasty beings called customers who keep bugging you so they can give you money"

According to a comment on Slashdot (yeah I know, not exactly a reliable source), the "Teledienstgesetz" requires the impressum even if your purely personal web site contains any kind of advertising (banners), or a forum or any other kind of message board or guest book.

Apparently the shop, comes under the impressum requirements of the crowd who do that website (i.e. spreadshirt.de). But in truth I don't really know the inner workings of the whole law. I must look into it further sometime.

Might have to get rid of my shop. Oh no, a disaster! And it's been such a big money-spinner too!! :(

I know this is resurrecting a zombie thread, but I wanted to know if anyone had any up-to-date resources for requirements of websites in Germany.

The Impressum is one item that separates US websites from German ones, but are there any other special German requirements of a site?

I was told by another expat that I had to have an Impressum on my site even though I'm not selling anything - it's a personal portfolio site. Now that I'm updating the site, I'm wondering... I checked the links above, but they're dead. I couldn't find specifics on juris.de. Any help is appreciated.

:)

Here's one in detail, but it's in German.

If by "portfolio" you mean a kind of online catalog of your work, then yes, you'll need an Impressum, as it's associated with commercial activity.

Thank you for such a quick response. It's okay if the info is in German. Just needed something more up to date (as opposed to broken links from 2003).

----

ETA: Just read through the first page of the site and you're right. I will need one.

This page (also German) has apparently up to date info and will generate an appropriate impressum for you if you need one.

Hello, i'm new to Germany and to the forums.

I don't know if i should start a new thread but I think this is related.

I am making a site for a freelancer (dancer).

As far as I understand I have to write details, including address, in the Impressum section.

1. Should the impressum show the name and address of the website creator or the artist?

2. Can the address be a foreign address (I have a German address and a non-german address, can I use my non-german address if I am registered in Germany?)

3 Alternatively could I use a PO Box address (assuming I manage to get one) ?

My main concern is putting a private home address in public