I hate Singapore

79 posts in this topic

Please add a link on your website to : http://www.pearlbankapartments.com

I've been living in this hell hole for almost 20 years. Any government that passes laws where a private property developer can take your home out from under you, by your neighbors voting to sell their flats collectively, at a rate of only 80% of the occupants, is in my mind a 100% communist ideal. I'm fighting every day to save my home from the wreckers ball. I join you in an honest opinion of hating the PAP with every breath. The Singapore government has only one vision, and that is GREED.

I can see you point about Munich I have been there but I also hear enough not to want to go live there.

eh? what on earth have you heard that would make Munich somewhere you want to live? Is it the lack of crime? Or the mountains and lakes? Or the bier and the bietrgardens? Or maybe it is because the city is too beautiful? Or maybe it is because the potential to earn good wages puts you off? What an utter fool you are! By all means say you prefer Berlin but for heavensake Munich is a jolly nice place to live as any of us who actually live here could tell you.

If you travel outside of Singapore to the neighboring city johor bahru on mainland Malaysia in your own car. You will be fined a lot of money if you don't have a 3/4 full fuel tank. Do you know how much is left in your gas tank?

If you used your brain you might understand why this is like that. Singapore is a tiny island very close to Malaysia and the difference in the gas prize is abysmal between the two countries. It would be way to easy to stop buying gas in Singapore and tank always in Malaysia because you can make a round trip to JB in less than 1 hour. And you know that economies are normally heavily tight to gas prices. And the Singaporean government does not forbid to bring gas in your car, only makes difficult to travel to JB with the only purpose of buying gas.

Any government that passes laws where a private property developer can take your home out from under you, by your neighbors voting to sell their flats collectively, at a rate of only 80% of the occupants, is in my mind a 100% communist ideal.

I sympathise with you, and I don't suppose this really makes any difference to your situation, but surely handing the properties over to a private property dealer is a 100% capitalist ideal?

and if 80% of the flat owners voted for selling to the developer then he doesn't have a leg to stand on. The situation he describes would be true in most European countries as well.

read about en-block laws on the linked website.

The PAP government has passed laws where your privately owned property can be taken away from you against your will. They do not compensate you for the costs of relocation, or take into account the renovations you've done to your property. And as history has proven, the amount you get [which is not determined by you] is rarely ever enough to pay for a new home of equal intrinsic value. This is not capatalism, It is 100% communist!

I bought my penthouse 8 years ago for over $1m sgd, then did $400,000 of renovations, and a forced sell will get me about $5m. But to relocate to an apartment of equal footage and staying in the city center will cost plus $25 Million! and this forced sale is given to a private property developer, not a situation of emminent domain, like a new subway line running through the site. It's all about GREED. The PAP [Peoples Action Party] is in sink with passing laws so that their friends that own these development companies get rich at the expense of people like me. Corruption at it's finest.

I bought my penthouse 8 years ago for over $1m sgd, then did $400,000 of renovations, and a forced sell will get me about $5m. But to relocate to an apartment of equal footage and staying in the city center will cost plus $25 Million!

So you invested 1.4 m SG$ 8 years ago, and are now getting 5 m SG$ (= 2.5 m Euros). That sounds like a good return to me.

You are saying a comparable new apartment would cost you 25 m SG$ = 12.5 m Euros? What sort of super-fancy place are you living in?

read about en-block laws on the linked website.

The PAP government has passed laws where your privately owned property can be taken away from you against your will. They do not compensate you for the costs of relocation, or take into account the renovations you've done to your property. And as history has proven, the amount you get [which is not determined by you] is rarely ever enough to pay for a new home of equal intrinsic value. This is not capatalism, It is 100% communist!

FHS, compulsory purchase orders exist throughout the EU and I would guess in North America too. It is entirely a capitalist measure and the fact you call it communism marks you out as an utter and total imbecile. It certainly does not make you appear in any way credible at all.

I bought my penthouse 8 years ago for over $1m sgd, then did $400,000 of renovations, and a forced sell will get me about $5m. But to relocate to an apartment of equal footage and staying in the city center will cost plus $25 Million! and this forced sale is given to a private property developer, not a situation of emminent domain, like a new subway line running through the site. It's all about GREED. The PAP [Peoples Action Party] is in sink with passing laws so that their friends that own these development companies get rich at the expense of people like me. Corruption at it's finest.

I find that HIGHLY implausible, this article shows that there has been a catestrophic drop in the values of property in singapore to well below the 2001 prices ie 8 years ago. It sounds like you were offered a really good deal where you wopuld make a profit in difficult markets. The other residents have recognised that. Why haven't you?

Which kind of place is that that you would need 25 times what you paid 8 years ago to find a similar place? I wish the apartment we have in Singapore would multiply its value 25 times.

I find that HIGHLY implausible, this article shows that there has been a catestrophic drop in the values of property in singapore to well below the 2001 prices ie 8 years ago.

He is not Singaporean so he is not allowed to own a government property, he can buy only private ones and that market is totally different. The housing market in Singapore is very atypical because most of the properties are under the control of the government, except the so called private ones.

I cannot BELIEVE I've never seen this thread.

Luckily for me, I have been in Bayern long enough to drink sufficient amounts of beer to obliterate any brain cells that may hold any memories of Singapore, unless they are related to food, or this seriously foxy Malay girl who worked at our office.

Horrible, horrible, horrible, horrible place to live. Potentially the best foodie place on the planet, but that is utterly tainted by the fact that the collective IQ of the locals is about 42, which really starts to get on your tits after a while. They're nigh on fucking impossible to work with too, unless you've spent years of your life working with either young children, or retards, and are therefore equipped to deal with mindless idiots.

They are also all Man United fans, which revolts me almost as much as the cadence of their spoken English, but not quite. I actually heard they were thinking of renaming Singapore "Trafford Island", or "SirAlexFergusonia". Scum.

Wow, the original post that started this thread was so many years ago... And the last post was rather old too.

I wish to state here and now that I do not agree with the thread title. "I hate Singapore" is rather strong. I do not hate Singapore. I was born there, did my National Service there and lived there for years. However, I will agree that Singapore, under the sole control of the PAP (our ruling party), does suck indeed. And besides, the thread starter was looking for information about Singapore and people seem to be interested, so here I am posting here.

I don't know if any of you are still interested but I recently published a book called "Singapore Sucks!" (the language is English) and have been actively promoting it. The book contains stories about the lives of Singaporeans living in Singapore, dwelling on the dystopian aspect. It also contains satires mocking the politicians and the policies they enforce in Singapore.

If anyone is interested, or if the thread starter is still interested in a site that informs the public about the dystopian aspect of Singapore, please check out: www.singaporesucks.net

If you have questions or suggestions, you may contact me via the site.

I love Singapore. Been there twice now and had a great time on each visit. Of course, it's different if you live there. But people were friendly, food was awesome, and the locals can't all be that bad since a lot of my close friends are Singaporeans and they turned out ok.

The bad things (like having to have a full tank when going over the boarder etc) are just things you learn to deal with, just like not being able to go to the store on Sundays, or having to pick up your packages from random locations here in Germany. And as for the ruling party being shit, hey, I'm British and our government doesn't seem to be all that good right now.

I wish to state here and now that I do not agree with the thread title. "I hate Singapore" is rather strong. I do not hate Singapore.

I recently published a book called "Singapore Sucks!"

...um...okay... :blink:

i also hated shithole...i got sooo badly burnt on santosa island i hade get pencillin injection in me arse :(

and singapore is 2 clean 2 fake and 2 hott i cudnt even smoke a fag :(

i wud never go back

also HATED australia too wat a hellhole....

im glad im in frankfurt now...best place ever :)

I lived and worked in Singapore. If anyone reading this thread is planning to move there, you are welcome to PM me for more information. I love Singapore, Singaporeans and Southeast Asia. A really interesting area of the world.

Funny that someone discovered this old thread.

Maybe the lovers and haters of Singapore (and whoever else cares) should read the comments of Singaporeans to reports on sg.yahoo.com

Really interesting how suddenly people come out, using abusive language on their politicians. Looks like people kicking the dead tiger...

Asherling ,I suppose Australia and Singapore can breathe a sigh of relieve that another whinging tourist has gone home(?).

Not all places are suitable for cringing sooks.

Read the travel agents brochures before going anywhere in the future.

And yes not all places are "Like Kansas Toto" and I see that you home is not even in your own country, why?.

Couldnt your own home meet with your approval nowadays.

Shame that you cant look beyond your short comings before you berate other places first.Enjoy Germany. Idiot.

P.S.I WOULD GET ANOTHER SHOT OF PENNICILLIN AS OBVIOUSLY THE FIRST ONE DIDNT TAKE TO CLEAR THE BACTERIA FROM YOUR BRAIN.