Pub quiz every Monday evening at The Arc

2,016 posts in this topic

Not regularly, but then again we're not running a special event, and I've consciously and intentionally avoided trying to get some meet or TT event to take place there, especially on nights when something else was planned. Were it my own place things might be different but I'd likely try to find a non-competitive niche.

As far as SiM and the damned quiz, I'm a disinterested party, dragged into it because I decided to throw open some shit that at certain people mentioned or outright complained about to me in private. But every time I re-read SiM's comment I come to the same conclusion: he's being petulant. Maybe he puts a lot of work into his research, I don't know. I know answers have been wrong before. Hell, shows like Mythbusters and Penn & Teller's Bullshit! have full-time research teams and they still get shit wrong. The vetting process for every single question on WWTbaM is long and tedious, and requires corroborating first sources wherever possible.

woof.

Ah, so you are just fighting the fight for some people who are too scared to speak their own mind? Wonderful. what do you get out of it?

Its not being petulant. I have no problem with people correcting me. In fact I welcome it if I have actually made a mistake. But questioning me without having researched it first by going to the computer and having something to show me is just wasting my time when I am already busy enough. I have researched the answers and yes I do put a lot of time and effort into the quiz. So to challenge my answers you should at least have something proper to show me rather than just your word on it. Obviously if something is clearly a mistake and numerous people notice it then fair enough but I shouldn't have to go and do the research for a 2nd time on one of my questions just because you disagree with it.

Not regularly, but then again we're not running a special event, and I've consciously and intentionally avoided trying to get some meet or TT event to take place there, especially on nights when something else was planned. Were it my own place things might be different but I'd likely try to find a non-competitive niche.

As far as SiM and the damned quiz, I'm a disinterested party, dragged into it because I decided to throw open some shit that at certain people mentioned or outright complained about to me in private. But every time I re-read SiM's comment I come to the same conclusion: he's being petulant. Maybe he puts a lot of work into his research, I don't know. I know answers have been wrong before. Hell, shows like Mythbusters and Penn & Teller's Bullshit! have full-time research teams and they still get shit wrong. The vetting process for every single question on WWTbaM is long and tedious, and requires corroborating first sources wherever possible.

woof.

BadDoggie, you of all people should know that when you run an event at a bar, you will never be able to please everyone. If you do karaoke, people will specifically NOT come because it's on, same holds for Live Music, Whiskey tastings, American football or cricket and of course, hosting a quiz. There are even 2 aspects to the Quiz (as with karaoke and whiskey tastings) and that is people who don't like the host. And it doesn't matter who is running the show, there'll always be someone who doesn't like how things are run. However - and I would have expected you to know this - if it's a long-standing event and if it fills the place up (which the quiz at The Arc does), management (and the quiz master) shouldn't really give a flying fuck about a couple of people that complain about it - and especially those who don't make management aware of their complaints and go and have a whinge to a bartender somewhere else.

As you know, it's bums on seats that count. So call him petulent if you like, and critcise his style (which I think is also quite difficult to do without having ever attended) but he gets those bums on seats. Which means that enough people enjoy the quiz there and enjoy his style of hosting.

WTF is wrong with that Doggie?

If you don't like a quiz then leave us alone! Stop spamming useless comments!

You definately have NO IDEA what the quiz at the Arc is about!

Don't judge something you don't know!

btw SIM I like that 4 points more or less rule! kinda cool because I sometimes find some things (afterwards) where you aren't quite correct...and the 4 points less makes this rule unattractive for knowalls...

I've consciously and intentionally avoided trying to get some meet or TT event to take place there

Doubt you would get anyone to go anyway if they read some of the arrogant pish you post on here.

Any pub quizzer knows, the quizmaster's answer is final. Fucking anal retentives check that answers in a pub quiz are correct, then go home and try to pass those rusks they ate when they were 2.

Okay people, just to let you know that the quiz is on tonight as usual in the Arc. And seeing as tomorrow is a holiday I would like to invite down all those people who usually can't make because of work the following day. :D

Hope to see you there tonight.

Dazza

Ha...for those of you that missed the quiz tonight...well what can say except we had naked women here!!! :P

That was quite some quiz night yesterday!

I personally left The Arc at around 5.30 this morning after cleaning the residue fresh cream from the floor and a certain chair.

I have some questions relating to last night:

1. WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO ME??? (as in, why was my head stuck to the pillow when I woke up, where is my right shoe and, why does it hurt when I pee?)

2. Who the Hell are Michela, Fransi, Verena and Tilde, and why are these names written on my chest in lipstick?

3. What quiz?

1. Sin, you probably don't want to know!

As for your right shoe - There is a selection of jackets and jumpers left from last night, but as yet, no shoes.

As for hurting - Was it anything to do with the cream?

2. Only 4 names? How come you didn't get all the rest to sign?

3. Ah yes, the quiz.

On a slightly more serious note:

There was one dark jacket left at The Arc yesterday evening (this morning) and it looks like someone else went home with the wrong jacket.

So, if you wake up this morning with a jacket not belonging to you and some strange keys in the pockets (car and home keys!), please contact me ASAP at The Arc as I probably have your jacket and one other person would like his jacket and keys returning.

Thanks!

Thanks Malt-Teaser, I've emailed The Mafia (most of whom are not Toytowners) your message about the jacket with your contact numbers.

As all the Mafia were wearing similar jackets, the wrong one was obviously taken by mistake, not intent. But I will offer a reward of a free beer for anyone returning the said jacket and keys.

MT / Arc

I just found my jacket, so it wasn't me.

No, but it had two water pistols and a luminous stick thingy in the pockets.

I lost a bow-tie, if you find one. It's a black, proper tying bow-tie in a plastic wallet. I left it in my jacket when I came out and it isn't there now.