Tip of the day

1,761 posts in this topic

If you girlfriend says that the washing machine is to complicated for you to use listen to the voice in your head that says ..

"Yes, WE know you have an degree doing technical stuff but shut up, nod and agree"

Sometimes the voives in your head can be right...

This to date has prevented my from any kind of washing, ironing and even using the dishwasher :-)

Do not think that just because we are in another country that all british poeple will get on with each other.

We do not need anyone to divide us into groups, we are more than capable of doing that along the lines of country, region, North/south, city and in some cases, village.

I would also advise anyone outside the UK (unless on purpose) not to ask anyone from Scotland, Irland or Wales which part of England they come from.

Although an american guy at uni once told a scottish friend of mine that he didnt consider him a scottsman (we thought, more of a friend was coming next) raher more of a mediocre englishman.

Man, that was the fastest I had ever seen my socttish friend move. We couldn't decide what was funnier, the comment or the attack on the american that followed.

Girls, do not push all the buttons on the remote control at once, effectively freezing up the television. If you must, do not awake your boyfriends from their peaceful slumber to fix said television unless you wish to be called useless.

Boys, if you insist on calling your girlfriends useless, don't act surprised when they don't wish to cuddle with you for the duration of the evening.

To All Language Students: Don't sign up for a language class if you're just going to sit there with your mouth shut. Don't request that the teacher provide more speaking opportunities and STILL sit there with your mouth shut. Don't act surprised when, after hearing the same questions asked of each classmate (questions must be repeated because noone in class voluntarily responds to anything), you are asked to answer a question or speak in any way during the course of a language class.

To all TTers: I don't think I've ever had such a reticent class. I've tried tons of activities, warm ups, games... Anyone have any ideas that have worked to get adult, non-speakers speaking? They are at a relatively high level, so I'm not sure why they're so shy or embarrassed to speak up.

Anyone have any ideas that have worked to get adult, non-speakers speaking?

Fear of being put on the spot and speaking in a public situation is more common than the fear of death.. Add that with the speaking being done in a foreign language and you are going to have a good deal of shy people.. You just beat the odds and got all shy people.

Tell them to stop being afraid of making mistakes, we are not in Japan where loss of face means you have to commit harakiri. Mistakes are part of the learning process.

Anyone have any ideas that have worked to get adult, non-speakers speaking?

I agree with sarabyrd.

Having taken language classes, I like it when the atmosphere is relaxed and you feel that you can ask the teacher questions, and he is patient and willing to let you try out the language, let people hesitate or make mistakes and allow them to get their point across and correct themselves. When you hestitate or make mistakes, it feels better and is more helpful if the teacher patiently prods you in the right direction and lets you express yourself or correct the mistake yourself, rather than hurrying you on or correcting the mistake for you. I had a class in which there was this kind of relaxed atmosphere, and the class really got talking. Another teacher, on the other hand, did all the talking, only allowed us to talk when she went round the class asking us to answer isolated questions in turn (often rather personal questions, which made it more awkward*) and corrected us the minute we hesitated or made a mistake. This felt uncomfortable and artificial, and gave the impression that she did not tolerate mistakes, so people tended to clam up. Also, I personally find that going round each person in turn asking questions or making them talk just builds up tension: you become more nervous as you wait your turn, and have to desperately think of something to say, usually something that someone else has not already said. There is less pressure if people are asked at random at various points during the class.

* I think it's better to ask people their opinions on a particular subject or ask them general questions rather than questions that elicit information about their personal lives, their family situation or what they do away from class. Asking them to reveal personal information in front of others might make them more inhibited.

My current langauge teacher would love this class, she gets frustrated at all the questions we ask :(

Try getting them to prepare something for the next class, a 10 minute news review or an urban legend or somthing.

If they have the time to prepare they may feel a little more comfortable with getting up and talking.

Tip of the day:

If you want to learn a language dont waste your time attending some mind numbingly boring language class - just get yourself an oppositesex friend that speaks this language but not yours.

For Ash Wednesday:

Memento homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris.

"Remember, O mortal, that you are dust and will return to dust."

When writing a little saying don't bother writing it in Latin and then write the translation underneath. Just write it in English, this will help you sound less pompous.

Talking of condoms – if you don’t want to turn your sex session into a laughing session then never buy those feather-light thin ones that get stuck on the end of your dick and wont roll on and you can't get them off and even when you try to pull if off it stretches and gets stuck even tighter.