Loud music upstairs and they won't answer the door

75 posts in this topic

housemates as in flatmates or neighbours? I think doing that as to not disturb people living in the same flat as you is slightly different than having to do it so as not to disturb your neighbours.

if you don't mind doing that - then great. but as the poster said, she/he doesn't feel like he/she is ever really just relaxing when sat there with the headphones on. I personally, wouldn't feel comfortable like that either, so it wouldn't be an option for me, I think I'd sooner move as I just wouldn't feel at home, when at home anymore, if you can understand that.

Do you not think that this is pertinent information that you should have included in your first post?

Not in the slightest. It's just reaffirming/another example of what I had already talked about.

A number of people have taken the time to try to help you based on what can be considered to be a partial description of a problem. Hopefully the information will be useful for others in the situation that you originally decribed.

(Edit) A thank you to the people who have tried to help you would also not go amiss.

I never said anything was unhelpful. I merely expanded on my post based on the feedback received in hopes to narrow down the situation.

When re-reading my post, I can see how it may have been misinterpreted as being short and ungreatful, and if that's the way anyone read it... I am sorry. When I said I recieved many "interesting replies" or whatever I said, I really did mean to say thanks / meant it in that tone.

Your post wasn't any more helpful, to say the least. I'd accuse you of being a "troll" or whatever forum people call people who just sit around waiting for opportunities to incite chaos and arguments, but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're just someone bored at home whom wants to protect the treatment of Toytown posters and ensure they get their proper thanks.

toy boy..

I have never called anyone on this forum "a fucker"

I may think one or two are though.

You called someone a "fucker"; I never stated they are on this forum.

For heavens sake stop being so weak. Tell the fuckers to turn the music down, then call the ordnungsamt, or the police. Threaten them with legal action. And follow it up.

Listen up.

have you nothing better to do?

So reviving an old thread here.

I am going through exactly the same thing as the OP at the moment, except the neighbour above me is a 60-something man.

Once or twice a week he likes to play hard rock/heavy metal music between 4 and 7 o'clock in the mornings. In the past it was usually Saturday mornings, but it happened again this (Tuesday) morning. The music is so loud that it wakes me up at 4 o'clock in the morning and can't get back to sleep. This has been going on on and off for the past 2 months. The last few times I have gone up there and rang the door, but no answer. I even wait there till a song is finished and ring again during the brief 4-5 second pause in between the songs, but still no answer. The music stops around 6-7 o'clock. Then I rang the door again at around 7:30 and still no answer. I know he's in there. I can't believe that he would just ignore me like that. :angry:

I have sent an email to the Hausverwaltung this morning. I don't think writing a note to the neigbour is going to help, since he has ignored me when I have tried to talk to him. I was so tempted to just call the police, but I'll wait and see what the Hausverwaltung says.

There are only 5 apartments in the building. What are the odds that this would happen?!

Arrrgh!

So I thought I'd try knocking on the door again before leaving for work around 9 am and he finally opened the door! He looked like he was a bit drunk and disheveled. I introduced myself and asked him if he realizes how loud his music is. His answer was a simple 'No'. So I told him that it was and that it has woken me up several times. He asked me where I lived and I told him that I lived right under his apartment. He said that it will not happen again. We shook hands and that was it.

Now here's hoping he sticks to what he said.

Correction: The guy is actually in his mid/late 30s. I thought, for whatever reason, someone else (an older man) was living there. It's a good thing I found out who actually lived there because I was on the lookout for the older man all morning and I would have made a complete fool of myself.

So reviving an old thread here.

I am going through exactly the same thing as the OP at the moment, except the neighbour above me is a 60-something man.

Once or twice a week he likes to play hard rock/heavy metal music between 4 and 7 o'clock in the mornings. In the past it was usually Saturday mornings, but it happened again this (Tuesday) morning. The music is so loud that it wakes me up at 4 o'clock in the morning and can't get back to sleep. This has been going on on and off for the past 2 months. The last few times I have gone up there and rang the door, but no answer. I even wait there till a song is finished and ring again during the brief 4-5 second pause in between the songs, but still no answer. The music stops around 6-7 o'clock. Then I rang the door again at around 7:30 and still no answer. I know he's in there. I can't believe that he would just ignore me like that.

I have sent an email to the Hausverwaltung this morning. I don't think writing a note to the neigbour is going to help, since he has ignored me when I have tried to talk to him. I was so tempted to just call the police, but I'll wait and see what the Hausverwaltung says.

There are only 5 apartments in the building. What are the odds that this would happen?!

Arrrgh!

Buy him some good headphones. :blink:

We live in a normal "house" with multiple apartments, but the upstairs neighbors are a business. Since it's a business, they have no carpets on their hardwood floors and they don't put on house slippers inside (like most Germans would do in an apartment). So all day it's clomp! clomp! clomp! My husband and I call it "the pony that lives upstairs." Since it's a business, sometimes there are about 10-15 people up there and they don't make much of an effort to keep quiet, since they don't have to live here with the rest of us. Some of the men have loud phone conversations on the balcony while chain smoking above our open windows. They almost always decide to vacuum or move the furniture around while my son is napping. I've all but gotten used to it, especially during the day, but occasionally (like almost every night) someone works late and whoever that someone is, she likes high heels. Clomp! Clomp! Clomp! as late as 2am. Oh, and they work just about every Saturday and Sunday.

And this is why I don't feel bad that my toddler has developed this screechy-screaming habit to get attention or that my dogs bark occasionally. Tough cookies.

I've never complained to them, and if they ever come down here, I'll ask them to lie down and try to sleep in our bedroom while I put on some boots and stamp around upstairs.

Is this a mixed use residence/office building? Generally, you need a permit to install an office in a residential building.

It's a residential building and it's set up as apartments with full kitchens and everything. There are four apartments and only one is a business, although we were told that our apartment was previously used as an office also. I don't know about permits, but the business is clearly advertised with a sign outside of the building, so I'm guessing it's legit.

My building is mixed residential/business as well. It's a small altbau building with 3 floors and 7 units in total (5 residential and 2 businesses). It's all legit since they have their signs outside the building and at their office door.

What I just realized after reading the above posts is that the 2 business units are on the left side of the building. One on the ground floor and the next one on the floor above it. My apartment is actually on the mezzanine floor between the ground and first floor, but on the right side.

I wonder if this left/right divide was done intentionally to avoid the problems Lblaney is having. It never occured to me it would actually be a problem living under an office/business. I wouldn't be able to live there long.

I actually thought it would be better to live under a business, particularly with a toddler. I figured the usual neighbor noise (parties, music, t.v., etc) would not be a problem. In fact, I lived next to a law firm in Spain for a while and it was quiet as a whisper, and no noise nights or weekends.

I just didn't figure on this particular business being so loud. They seem to work all hours of the day and night, and even weekends and some holidays. I was tempted come back from vacation early to ring the doorbell on Christmas, just to see if someone was there. I think some of them are freelancers, and so they come and go as they please. There have been a few other odd issues, too, like stacking up files in the hallway so no one can pass, expecting us to take deliveries for them (since they start working around 10am and sometimes deliveries come at 9), and leaving the building door unlocked or propped open so clients can get in, and holding loud meetings late at night.

On the other hand, our baby cries sometimes and our dogs bark sometimes. We don't listen to loud music, but if we did, I'd expect them to put up with that, too.

Honestly, I don't think they have the faintest idea they're stomping across our ceiling. And, in an early Easter miracle, they seem to have actually closed for the night at an early 10:15 pm!