Loud music upstairs and they won't answer the door

75 posts in this topic

Ok, the people in the apartment above us enjoy loud music and really enjoy bass. It is possible that their speakers are on the floor which makes the bass particularly unbearable in our apartment. So I finally got up the nerve to go up there to ask them to turn the music down, but they wouldn't answer the door (probably because the music is too loud!) I rang the bell and then I knocked several times. I did this two separate times.

I am sure that some of you will suggest that I go up there when the music is not playing so they can hear the door but in that context I am a bit concerned about my German abilities. At the time that the music is playing I think I can make them understand that it is too loud, but if it is not playing I don't know how to say "Occasionally when you play your music it is too loud, especially the bass. Is it possible that your speakers are on the floor and if they were raised off of the floor perhaps that could dampen the sound?"

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ali

Even if the speakers are off the floor and the volume is loud and the bass pumping you may still find this annoying. I was talking to a German friend of mine yesterday and she happened to mention according to German law you have three opportunites a year to breach the "quiet time" law and make noise.

If they don't answer the door, can you leave them a note?

My first thought is that if you want peace and quiet you are better off in Arizona than Berlin. Second thought is that you will still hear the music whether the speakers are elevated or not. Third is that you will be able to make yourself understood, hab kein Angst.

"Sorry, thein Musik is too loud."

"Sorry, deine Musik ist zu laut." ;)

You are right, Ratbert, it was much quieter in Arizona. I also had a bigger fridge...but here I am. :)

I guess I will try to leave a note in their Briefkasten. Any ideas on what to write?

Thanks,

Ali

"Sorry, thein Musik is too loud."

"Sorry, deine Musik ist zu laut."

Wait! Would this be considered rude (using deine instead of Ihre?) Am I wrong? Or with the obvious American accent, is this kind of thing forgivable? I don't want to piss this guy off because he could retaliate very easily (stomping loudly, dropping heavy things on the floor, etc.)

Got a tape recorder? Record it for 5-10min, then call the cops.. End of story.

Sure it's probably quieter in Arizona, but everyone has the right to peace in their own home. If someone chooses to live on a busy road, for example, that's their prerogative, but we can't choose our neighbours. It's precisely because we live in such high density in Germany that the noise laws exist.

You are entitled to call the police if the music is too loud during the quiet hours, i.e. after 10pm (I think) and on Sundays. I would try to talk to the people first though. Writing a note isn't such a bad idea if you're not confident with the language (ask a German to write it and explain the language issue). Any second note that becomes necessary would be a warning that you'll call the police next time.

I would definitely not call the cops because of every little thing, unless you want your neighbors to hate you, especially if you have never actually asked them to turn down the music (I know you tried, but unless they were ignoring your knocking on purpose they don't). Write them a note. Or knock when they are not playing loud music.

"Könnten Sie bitte Ihre Musik nicht so laut aufdrehen, wenn Sie Musik hören?"

(Edit: Add the part after the comma only when they are not listening to music right now, or when you write a note instead of talking with them personally.)

Ok. This is weird. The music just stopped so I just went upstairs so that I could talk to them. I rang the doorbell, I heard someone coming to the door and then...nothing. I knocked. Nothing. Hmm. Maybe they know why I am knocking and maybe they didn't want a lecture! We'll see if the music starts again.

Oh! I just had another thought. Maybe he is also an Ausländer and didn't want to answer the door and have to speak German!

We had this on the "Neighbour won't give me my parcel" thread. Bear in mind that they don't know you're outside their door, since the bell is the same is the one outside. If you knock, they'll realise there's someone actually there. They may still choose not to open though. I rarely open the front door unless I'm expecting someone, especially at this time of day when all the door-to-door sellers are crawling around.

Or they may indeed be trying to avoid a confrontation.

Good that you didn't wind up with a conversation like: "No man, dave's not here..."

In our building there is a different sound if someone is at the front of the building and if someone is directly at your door. Even so, when I rang the doorbell, I heard them come to the door and then they didn't open it.

I didn't even know there are door-to-door sellers. What do they sell?

@Mariposa: thanks for the German line.

Most bell systems have 2 different chimes/tones depending if the button downstairs, or the one next to your door is pressed.

If yours only does one tone for both then its freaking ancient..

No, I haven't met them before. We moved in a month ago. It is not entirely clear to me how people actually meet their neighbors here. One came and picked up something that I had taken delivery for him and when I tried to introduce myself to him, he looked at me like I was alien.

I didn't even know there are door-to-door sellers. What do they sell?

These days, internet connections mostly. Plus political parties and unusual religions.

Have you tried the hausverwaltung? I had a problem with a clock chiming very loudly every hour (and 1/2 hour) when I moved in. I went to the neighbour and asked if they could at least turn it down at night (as would be my right) but the slightly drunk woman who answered the door told me that that would ruin the whole thing with the clock and I should think about living somewhere else if I didn't like it. I called the hausverwaltung the next day and said that the woman's husband was very friendly and they would call him. The clock volume was then turned down.

The first step should always be talking to the person (or persons) upstairs. THEN, if they refuse, get outside assistance. That's just the right thing to do. Most people (and I really don't mean all people) will be considerate enough to do what is right. But there is that small percentage of people that just don't give a damn about anyone but themselves. If they continue to avoid you at the door, then you can leave them a note explaining that you made every attempt to handle the situation without any 3rd party intervention and that you are taking necessary action with (police, landlord, building manager, whoever) to get the situation the resolved.

Ich habe bereits mehrmals versucht, mich mit Ihnen über die Lautstärke Ihrer Musik zu unterhalten. Bitte melden Sie sich bei mir (name, apartment), damit wir eine einvernehmliche Lösung finden, ohne die Hausverwaltung einzuschalten.

I have already tried to contact you various times to speak about the volume of your music. Please contact me (name, apartment) so we can find an amicable solution without involving the house management.

That could get them moving, either towards your door or towards the volume knob. It shows that you are approachable and want to solve the situation in cooperation with them but that you also know your rights and will not hesitate to insist on them.