Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

53 vacation destinations for 2008

16 posts in this topic

Looking for hip vacation destinations for next year? Don't miss this NYT article.

Some results that surprised me:

10. Libya

16. Liverpool

18. Iran

40. Detroit

53. New York City

Munich came in #17 (just before Iran, but after Liverpool), and Sylt is #13. They are the only two German destinations on the list, though there are plenty of other European ones.

Here's me and friends in Djerba, Tunisia, destination #3:

post-116-1197406287_thumb.jpg

I thought that article looked familiar as I read it on Sunday in the New York Times. Btw, on the right side of the page that's my email address and sign in for my online subscription to the New York Times. I'm glad to see the link that I posted somewhere else (posted a recipe from the New York Times was actually read) I will next time try to remember to take those identifiers off, but for now have fun you all can have my subscription to my New York Times online, but just don't send me any emails :D .

@LR

I'm not sure that other people can see it. When I click on the link I actually see my own log-in (since I too have a subscription), maybe for people without one the field is simply blank.

Munich came in #17 (just before Iran, but after Liverpool), and Sylt is #13. They are the only two German destinations on the list, though there are plenty of other European ones.

Three: Berlin was featured as a cultural destination for 2008 in that issue. Back to the Days of Bowie and Iggy

I guess Algeria is once again off the list for the time being...

22. PLAYA BLANCA, PANAMA.

This is a nice place to go, but there are much better places to visit in Panama. Bocas del Toro, San Blas, Boquete to mention a few.

The only difference is that there are no fancy hotels in those places.

wow, quiet a list.

Not some nice places and obvoiusly some places that are trying to get back into the tourist business.

Well, I don't have any trips planned to any of those places next year, so I guess, I will not have to put up with tons of tourists everywhere I go then.

I'm glad to see the link that I posted somewhere else (posted a recipe from the New York Times was actually read) I will next time try to remember to take those identifiers off, but for now have fun you all can have my subscription to my New York Times online, but just don't send me any emails .

Your recipe may have been read, but not by me. I do have my own (free) subscription to the NYT online. Those websites sure are smart these days! Why, just up on the top left corner of this very one is my own login! ;)

I'd say Algeria was always a risky choice. Um, don't go there.

Libya, Djerba, Detroit? Somebody's on drugs.

Hey now- As a Detroit native I know the city pretty well. It is quite lovely actually. Sure, it has an ify past, and one wouldn't want to go to every part of the city, but the downtown area is nice. And having been to Lombok and Tunisia, I sure as hell wouldn't recommend them either.

Hey now - I grew up partly in Tunisia & I think it deserves to be on the list!

Roman ruins, the legend of Dido, sand dunes, salt flats, the sea, yummy food and beautiful people

Just stay clear of those pack em in German holiday clubs :unsure:

There were parts of Tunisia that were lovely as well, you're right. It was, however, one of the few places in the world I have not felt comfortable as a woman alone. I was followed and harassed a lot, and that got old. I think if I had gone with my husband I might have loved it.

You would have been harassed anyway, MamaE. I was.

Having been there, I was surprised that the NY Times would have recommended Djerba for Americans. I don't think they get too many Americans there. We went to one of the holiday resorts and spoke German the whole time (except to each other); nobody spoke English. Although we had a good time, it wasn't any better than the Riviera Maya in Mexico, which is of course much easier to get to from North America.

Of course, I don't know how many Americans they get in Iran, Libya, or Algeria, either.

My wife & I spent four weeks driving around Tunisia. And nowhere near the beach resort tourist places. It was fantastic! But she speaks French, so that helps. Tunisia makes my top 5 list of friendliest people which is topped by Jordan and includes Brazil, Indonesia, and Canada.

Hard to narrow it down, though.