Free Staatsbibliothek tour

29 posts in this topic

Hey all,

The Staatsbibliothek offers FREE guided tours of the library here on Ludwigstr. 16. (next to the LMU) If you haven't been to it yet, it's incrediable. This is a tour to get you familiar with how to use this massive library. It's huge and it's German, which can be intimidating to some, myself included. They have LOTS of books and periodicals published in English as well. This guided tours gets you familiar with the location of things, how to order materials, do research, etc. In order for the tour to happen, we need atleast 5 people to attend. I'm hoping I can round up a few people who are interested in doing the tour sometime later this week. I'd like to do it in the early evening. If I can get a few people interested, I will make the appointment. IT'S FREE!!! Let me know if you are interested and also perhaps are most desired time of the tour. Hope to hear from you soon!

MR

Here is exactly how the flyer words the tour "Admission for readers, online retreval, ordering books, access to electronic periodicals and data bases as well as the document delivery systems will be presented and explained. In a short guided tour we show you the Lending Department, the General Reading Room and the Periodicals Reading Room."

With the cold winter coming/here and the fact some of us may not have a lot of friends due being a foreign land...take advantage of this library! It's really something else; worthwhile checking out! And best of all FREEEEEEE!

I would be interested but not before Christmas. I am a member of the Stabi and have used it before but a guided tour sounds interesting, and I wouldn't mind it being in English. :)

Hey Everyone,

Very glad to see some replies and get some PM's from you all! We will have more than enough to do the tour. I just received an email from the library, they will be unable to accomadate our English group until January. So with that said, I am going to see if I can plan something for the 2nd - 3rd week of January. (Give people some time to get back from Holiday). How does this sound to you all? I will keep everyone who has expressed interest fully posted on the situation.

MR

Um, yes please. I'll be sure to check back after the holidays, but definitely count me in. I have been going through books like crazy and would love to become familiar with the bibliothek. Great idea!

So I've been contacted by the library, how does Monday, January 14th, 2008 at 4pm sound to you? Would you be able to make it? The library suggested 4pm as the best starting time because then we will have time to see all the sections before they close. Please let me know how this sounds to you all.

MR

If this tour still stands I'd love to come along on the 14th.

14th I could do.

Otherwise, sundays or fridays I'm definitely available...

Hello to all who have expressed interest in an English guided tour of the Staatsbibliothek!

The tour is confirmed to be January 14, 2008 at 4pm. We will be meeting (as told by the library staff) at the bottom of the huge stair case of the Staatsbibliothek at Ludwigstr. 16 80539 München. About 16+ people have expressed interest. I hope you can all make it! Bis dann!

Anyone is welcome to join as well!

-Matt

Just a reminder...the tour is happening tomorrow!!! If you would like to join, please feel free to! This is a free tour, only given in english by special request. You need atleast 5 people for the tour to happen...we have more than that number! It is of the Staatsbibliothek, the research library of LMU. So please keep that in mind if you are thinking about bringing children...no kids section for them to go wild in! They have not only a MASSIVE collection to books of German, (duh) but massive amounts of books in English as well. Take advantage of this opportunity! Please just feel free to show up AT (or before) 4pm at Ludwigstr. 16 80539 München. We will be meeting at the bottom of the massive stair case in the entry way of the building, inside. Quite clear once you open the front door. Bring anyone you'd like! Hope to see as many of you as possible tomorrow at 4!

Matt