Instructions for sorting of rubbish / garbage in Munich

65 posts in this topic

is there any known alternative to your assigned bins? we have a storage room full of broken-down cardboard boxes & only a small, plastic papiertonne to put them in. even when i go through & cut them into bite size pieces, the bin won't hold enough to make a dent in our "collection." i would love to find one of those big, metal bins to use (without getting fined or yelled at).

Mabye you could go to a "Wertstoffhof" (the places were you can drop off bulky garbage). I would think that they also accept paper and cardboard, but never tried, so I'm not sure.

Wertstoffhof webpage

Yes you take cardboard here. No you shouldn't be putting any sizeable amounts of cardboard into the blue household paper bin (because it is for paper not cardboard according to the council).

You can take up to 2sqm rubbish to the dump for free per day (that's about an average car-ful) otherwise you may be charged.

If you really want to order a bin, info here.

Cardboard = Kartonverpackungen und Pappe

If you are in Munich, there is no Gelbe Sack - see here - something I miss from Frankfurt and Erlangen *sniff*

Ask your neighbours about collection days for rubbish.

The nearest Wertstoffhof to Untermenzing is Lochhausener Straße 32 in Obermenzing, open weds 9am - 3pm Uhr and Friday 9am - 12 noon

For Schwabing: Wilhelm-Wagenfeld-Straße 5 open on odd numbered weeks

Or use Nymphenburg Arnulfstr. because that's open Mon-Sat.

Comment 1: Having carefully separated my bottles into their respective colours I witnessed the truck chucking the contents of all three containers into the same hole? Is this really true or am I missing something?

Comment 2: I took a day off to go to the Wertstoffhof to get rid of larger items - only to be told they were Hausmüll and I should take them back home. They seem to have special days for Sondermüll - so be careful which day you take off work. I ended up driving to a second Wertstoffhof.

Comment 3: The guys at the Wertstoffhof refused to lift a finger to help me with heavy items and they were all standing in a line guarding the Sperrmüll-Container and hauling out items people threw in there and starting arguements. They were even saying that some item or other was "kostenpflichtig", i.e. subject to payment, to some poor soul.

Good luck to anyone who goes there.

Particuarly if you live in central Munich (like wot I do) the seperation of rubbish is PANTS compared to most of the rest of the country and even the UK! :o

Scary story...we kept wondering where the GelbeSack bins were and had built up a "collection"...lets just say, it wasn't pretty. I discovered this morning that the Wertstoffhof is right around the corner so all's well that end's well, I guess. But what would you do if you didn't have a car? Pretty horrible to have to haul all of that GS stuff around. And what do really old/disabled/sick people do? Seems a bit unfair.

I don't have anything useful to add on the subject, just wanted to propose new wording for the topic title: "Mülling things over". :D

Depends on what the Sperrmüll is.

If it is furniture or an electirical item which can be reused, Diakonika will take it.

They also do house clearances (they helped me clear a cellar once).

Blimey, and I thought that the Germans were strict about mixing up the recyclable waste :blink:

BBC News: Fine for letter in recycling bag

Magistrates have fined a man £200 after finding him guilty of putting paper in a recycling sack for bottles and cans only - breaking council rules.

The way they've worked out the recycling in Wales is all very confusing. Different areas have different lists of what can actually go in the Green Bag. In my area you can put junk mail and paper in the bag but in some other areas you can't. You used to be able to put plastic bags in the bag as well and then they decided that you couldn't. And if you get it wrong, then they slap a big red sticker on your bag and the whole street knows you've fucked up :blink:

Sounds similar to one of the Liberal councils a few years back. Apparently, if your wheely bin was considered not close enough to the end of your drive/path for the refuse collecters then they issued you with a "yellow card" for the first offence and then a "red card" for the second offence. If you were red carded then the council would not empty your bin for a month or so! :blink: (It really buggered up the pensioners as I recall and the idea was soon dropped) :D

We are plagued by our neighbourhood Müll Gestapo who is ripe for recycling herself.

We are expected to wash all your tin cans in the dishwasher before throwing them out. How much energy is used in heating the water to do this? How many chemicals have now been washed down the sink?

We are meant to collect our bio rubbish in a yellow bag and leave it for two weeks in our flat or on the balcony.(Frau Mülll gestapo next door wont let us put it in the bin outside, or store it in the cellar )

MMh, 2 week old nappies...fragrant. It is only collected every 2 weeks.

We say sod them and put it in the bio bins anyway. " yes but the bins get so full now we cant put any more rubbish in them " says Frau muhl gestapo.

Its a fecking bio bin and I am going to use it as such says I.

As for the bottle recycling, my son and I stood and watched as the lorry came and poured all the green glass, brown glass and clear glass containers into the same lorry. I mean why bother.

We do separate and recycle, but Frau Müll gestapo threatened to call the police when we used the recycling bins between 12 and 2 in the afternoon and mustnt park directly in front of them in case someone else wants to use them. She also complained that we made too much noise smashing the bottles into the containers.

Frau Müll gestapos better rules.

We should...

The teabag incident: string and bag should go in the paper bin, contents in the bio bin and staple in the metal bin. I mean if Frau Müll Gestapo has the time to do this then fair enough but I for one dont and will not be doing that no matter how often she goes through our rubbish bags.

The Nappy incident: Shit in the bio container, Piss absorbing bit in the chemical recyling bin, rest in the plastic container.

Old electrical cable incident:

Shouldnt go in the electro goods container as it is not a geräte, it is only a cable. it should be stripped of the plastic coating separated between metal and plastic containers.

We have started buying black binbags and shredding our personal correspondence so she cant see whats in them, but now and again she tears one open.

A couple of years ago, Munich council had to buy extra paper to ensure that the incinerators worked because they had sorted too much out of the household rubbish. They now put some of the paper rubbish in with the other incineratable stuff to help it go woof.

A pile of junk mail letters were delivered to us by mistake, all addressed to frau müll gestapo. I immediately put them in a rubbish bag with a glass bottle, tin can, plastic bag and some potato peelings and put it right on top of the bin on collection day.

Oh how we did laugh when the binman took one of the crumpled and stinking letters and posted it to her. :ph34r:

Hilarious.

I think Müll recycling satisfies deep-seated needs and desires in the german soul: it requires a complex system of rules and regulations, with a quasi-police force to enforce them, plus satisfying the desire for labelling and pigeon-holing objects into different categories, and requiring everyone to conform and take part, to be part of the "Umwelt-Gemeinschaft".

And is it maybe also a subconcious way of improving the national karma after the human - and environmental - catastrophe of WW2 and the Nazizeit, attempting to make good for the excesses of the past? Paying homage to the alter of the Umwelt makes one feel much better. I think that goes a fair way in explaining the over-zealousness of the Green lobby here.

We only have paper, bio and restmüll in our Müllhaus. I don't do bio. No place to keep a stinky container in my kitchen and I puke if I open the braun Biomüll Tonne outside.

FF

My landlady seems to growing more impatient with me and the stuff I'm throwing out. She speaks very little English so I really need clear instructions on what to put where when putting stuff in bins (is there info on a council website somewhere perhaps).

So far I understand that we have three bins. One is for paper, one for bio waste (I'm not sure what the third is for).

A first question would be am I o.k putting general food waste in the bio bin (bio to me would be more compost like substances - e.g. fruit skins)?

It also seems that aluminum and plastic rubbish is supposed to go in "containers of the city of munich". Does that mean I need to take this rubbish somewhere else (from the wording it suggest some kind of special council place, perhaps with the bottle banks which are dotted around the place)?

Also where would something like a twix wrapper or sweet packaging fit into this system (does it go in the plastic waste or somewhere else)?

Topics merged by admin

Stick it all in bags in the back of your car and flytip on the local kids playground around 1am in the morning like I do. Seems the local council then sorts it all out for you and takes it away. An excellent system, and much less trouble.

There are normally 3 bins.

1. Bio (Green) - Food wase, Wood, Plant clippings..

2. Paper (Red) (usually at a local pickup point down the street)

3. Plastic,Tin foil, (Yellow) Tetrapack etc. - can also be a yellow bag.

4. Misc/Random (Black) - Stuff that doesn't fit the above 3 and isn't "special waste"..

This is subject to change depending on your location, as not all cities/villages do the same things..

in Gruenwald they had-

normal garbage in whatever container.

green- paper

brown- bio

gelbsak- plastics and metal.

glass- either returned for pfand or collected on a separate random, sporatic day.