Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster

61 posts in this topic

Right then. What time and where are we meeting up?

The Süddeutsche Zeitung printed a half-page article about this and the second catastrophe at the Paulskirche in 1960. Sorry, no link, ti's only available on the e-paper site.

EDIT: The sports section has an article as well, not that I've read it yet. That's lunchtime reading.

EDIT2: Yeah, like Gen said.

EDIT3: The sports section article links to the article in the Munich section with details to the crash, the victims and the cause.

On the train in from the Airport last night, some Man U fans "treated" us to a singsong.

Typical narrow-minded, working-class English vermin.

Never mind all that bollox. Where and when are we meeting up? I'm tryin' to stuff a whole days work into a morning here.

Im going home from Erding to Berg-am-laim first I reckon and then will go straight there for 2:30

and see what happens after, but bit under the weather, so might not do much

The 60+ United fans I was with last night in the Schiller Bar, hauptbahnhof area, were going to meet up there again this morning. I'm heading straight to Moosfeld/Trudering aiming to get there just before 2pm. No doubt everyone will remain for the actual time of the crash as well so there until 4:30pm ish. BBC News report that there will also be a minutes silence at Trudering at 16:04.

I'll be up there around 2-ish. I think you lot can easily spot the Cockney Scum, can't you?

At 1330 GMT, an English-speaking Catholic priest will conduct a religious ceremony at the crash site in Trudering.

so it begins at approx 2:30 local time, and then at the crash time of 16:04 local time (or is it going to be 15:04 everywhere regardless of timezone?) there will be minutes silence then I guess

but Munich58 say nothing about 16:04 time, so dunno

Just come back from the Truderinger Wirtshaus...full of United fans. Was good to see a good turn out. Bobby Charlton was there earlier for a pint...

Yeah the Wirtshaus was good, was mostly old school fans, all the old songs etc

That's cheered me up:

Resident Georg Pechtold, 84, told how he witness the immediate aftermath of the crash.

I introduced him to The Manchester Evening News reporter. Nice old boy.

It was the end of innoncence as we know it.

really? Not wishing to be (too) disrespectful but hadn't a couple of world wars already seen to that?

Sad as it is, I'm afraid I can't quite feel the same about it as, say, an event I have lived through such as 9/11 or Hillsborough, or something like war memorials where people willingly sacrificed themselves for my wellbeing, but maybe thats just me.

That's interesting br, especially as you included Hillsborough.

A group of us Reds were having a discussion about the Munich Air Distaster and the Busby Babes after the ceremonies down the pub and while I fully understand that if you're not a Red it really isn't going to mean half as much as if you are one, the striking thing that came out is how much damage the past two decades of success has done to United amongst ordinary footie fans. It's very rare you'll meet a non-Red footie fan under 45 nowadays who'll give the sympathy that I remember as a kid. But then, United were only occasionally successful at anything when I was a kid. A European Cup, and FA Cup and an old 2nd Division championship is all I could remember for ages. Then again, I suppose you can't have it both ways, eh?

yeah I don't like the way people hate Man U just because they are good. I mean they foster a lot more UK talent than most top clubs for starters. I've liked Man U (even if it isn't the team I really support) since the days of Steve Coppell - and find them almost always entertaining to watch

I think its more that I just don't remember it live and remember how I felt then, and thus relate less to it than something I have 'experienced'. In the same way that I, for example, would relate more to a memorial of Ayrton Senna than Jim Clark, or Colin McRae than Graham Hill - I just didnt ever 'know' Clark or Hill. Its certainly not because I'm unsentimental - I can get tear eyed thinking of Red Rum...

Possibly on the wrong thread here mind

I can get tear eyed thinking of Red Rum...

My cat yowls whenever his name is mentioned. I dunno why. :unsure: