Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster

61 posts in this topic

Hey Sin. I dealt with Munich58 a few years ago - they have the photos up I took when I went to the memorial a few years ago. I'm currently talking to one group of supporters (30+ coming) at the moment. They're doing a leaflet for the day with the original photos I took. We're just discussing where to meet up before the service. The guy I'm talking to was asking if there are any bars in the Moosfeld/Trudering area we can meet up beforehand or whether to just meet up in the centre of Munich before. I think I'll propose meeting up in town, they're all staying at Hauptbahnhof area.

I spoke to Manchester United as well but they're not planning any official representation here in Munich. Both a work friend (relative of Duncan Edwards) and I will be there for the memorial.

Just a quick note to say that they recently unveiled a new memorial at the corner of Emplstr & Rappenweg, just a few steps from the wooden cross. The new one is a stone block, with a brass(?) layout of the playing field. I haven't been able to look at it in detail, because I'm always driving past (I live in Trudering). In our local Hallo newspaper, there was recently a photo of it being unveiled by our BA leader Dr. Georg Kronawitter. Unfortunately, I can't find the paper right now to scan it in.

Yeah, that was unveiled back in September 2004 if I remember correctly. The memorial will take place at the old one though, the cross.

muej6.th.jpg

Man City have requested that instead of a minute's silence that there is a minute's applause to mark the anniversary during the derby match on 10th Feb to foil attempts by morons to spoil the tribute.

Seems like a good idea to me because whilst i'm sure that the great majority will show due respect, there will, inevitably, be some dickhead that wants to make a show of himself.

BBC have mounted a huge campaign all week for silence over applause at the MU / City game. I have to agree. Applause is not appropriate on this occasion. Frank Swift, the journalist who died, was an ex Man City goalkeeper. And its not City who have asked for the applause but their supporters club.

Such has been the press over this that I have to think it would take a brain dead neanderthal to shout during the silence and I think they will be dealt with by the stewards.

The real moron is the twat in charge of fixtures at the Premier League who allowed this game to be scheduled around the anniversary.

Agree with BD it affected the whole of Manchester I will be there on the 6th Feb to pay my respects.

I disagree totally with you BC, i think it was deliberate and gives an opportunity for true football fans to show their respect.

In which case the way to show respect and to concentrate the mind on this is silence. Applause is so utterly wrong. It doesn't allow for thought and contemplation. It panders to the lowest common denominator.

Upon refection i agree with you Batson, i'm still just worried that a few scrotes are gonna cause bad feeling and bring shame on the heads of many more decent Man City fans.

Sorry for the delay only I've been busy as buggery.

I've been doing some light assistance to the MUFC Supporters Club pointing them in the direction of hotels and organising an organiser of the structure for the priesty bloke to speak from and the England v. Switzerland friendly in the evening. I am told that several hundred are coming. The club will not be attending in any official capacity, preferring to organise their own ceremony at OT. Whatever, I shirked my duties having passed them on when I knew I was going to be travelling on business. But, I will be there at the memorial from 2pm on Wednesday. Ceremony starts at 2:30pm sharp.

point I m trying to make is that if it was Rochdale nobody would give a fcuk, only because its manu is there so much fuss

point I m trying to make is that if it was Rochdale nobody would give a fcuk, only because its manu is there so much fuss

How bloody ignorant are you?

England lost some fine footballers on that day including Tommy Taylor and Duncan Edwards - who could well have been the best English player of all time had he not died. Died representing Manchester United and England in Europe.

That's not even mentioning the 15 or so other people, prominent members of the press included, that died on that day too.

it was Rochdale nobody would give a fcuk

Or Nottingham Forest?

I'd like to join you on this one Sin, i'll arrange a meeting point with you.

I've got a 'special dispensation' pass for the entire afternoon and the evening (to watch the England v. Switzerland game).

planes crash everyday with normal decent folk on them from all walks of life, races, creeds and supporting different causes, maybe we should start up an event to remember all those as well and while were at it invite all the cockney reds and all other man u fans that are not from manchester (by and large most of them) as well.

@RL answer is very

Its soon the anniversary of the Munich air disaster which took place on 6 February 1958, when British European Airways Flight 609 crashed on its third attempt to take off from a slush-covered runway at the Munich-Riem airport in Munich, West Germany. On board the plane was the Manchester United football team, nicknamed the Busby Babes, along with a number of supporters and journalists. Twenty-three of the 44 passengers on board the aircraft died in the disaster.

Is anybody thinking of heading out to the village of Kirchtrudering to pay their respects? Lord have mercy on their souls. Its sad. It was the end of innoncence as we know it.

PS

I also noticed this...

On 6 February 2008, the England national football team takes on Switzerland at Wembley Stadium. Before the game, images of the players who lost their lives at Munich will be displayed on big screens, and England players will wear black armbands. Originally, a minute's silence was not to have been observed on the day, due to the Football Association's fears that the silence would not be respected by fans of Manchester United's rivals. However, they then agreed that a minute's silence should be held.

Football fans are true animals. Always was and they always will be.

Topics merged by admin