Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster

61 posts in this topic

Wednesday 6th February 2008 marks the 50th anniversary of the Munich crash which killed 23 and devastated the Manchester United 'Busby Babes' team, taking the lives of:

Geoff Bent (aged 25) Full back, Roger Byrne (aged 28) Full back, Captain and 33 caps for England, Eddie Colman (aged 21) Wing half, Duncan Edwards (aged 21) Wing Half, 18 caps and 5 goals for England, Mark Jones (aged 24) Central Defender, David Pegg (aged 22) Left winger, 1 cap for England, Tommy Taylor (aged 26) Centre forward, 19 caps and 16 goals for England and Liam Whelan (aged 22) Inside Forward, 4 caps for Ireland, plus the Manchester United staff: Walter Crickmer (Club secretary), Bert Whalley (Chief coach) and Tom Curry (Trainer).

8 British sports journalists also died in the crash. Due to their injuries, right winger Johnny Berry and centre-half Jackie Blanchflower never played again.

And my question is this: Are there any other Munich based United fans, or football fans in general that feel we should mark the day by gathering at the memorial in Kirchtrudering? There are rumours of an England friendly for later that day.

Well, we're 3 months away from the date, but I am in contact with the organisers back in Manchester, and as soon as I know more I'll post it up. The evening friendly is England v. Switzerland at Wembley.

Does anyone know if there is to be a commemoration event in Munich to mark the 50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster on Feb 6th?

Topics merged by admin

I'd read about this only. does anyone know if there'll be some sort of remembrance ceremony in Munich too?

Hi SIn. Didn't realise you had already started this topic. Would be good to know if and when such an event will happen. I'm amazed at how few of my German colleagues never heard of the air crash

Yes I do. Hold the day (well, at least the afternoon free) and I'll update you on my return from the cultural wilderness.

Man City have requested that instead of a minute's silence that there is a minute's applause to mark the anniversary during the derby match on 10th Feb to foil attempts by morons to spoil the tribute.

Seems like a good idea to me because whilst i'm sure that the great majority will show due respect, there will, inevitably, be some dickhead that wants to make a show of himself.

I live in Truedering and was going to go before work that day ... but if you are all meeting up then let me know. I'd planned on purchasing some flowers .. but I have to say the Bayern Munich supports club do keep a great display there constantly changing ... surely Man U and Man city could learn a lot form that alone.

I would like to propose that the televised derby on Feb 10th be made an event day and that all United, City and other interested footie fans meetup to watch the game together in a spirit of good grace and to observe the minute's silence together.

Venue to be determined, any interest?

I'm amazed at how few of my German colleagues never heard of the air crash

why? I'm sure there are plenty of Brits who have no idea about it (perhaps a few more know now because of the anniversary)

I went to the first geme they played after that tragic event. It was against Sheffield Wednesday as I recall. I think they won 3-1. They had a minutes silence, maybe longer. Old Trafford was packed, and you could have heard a pin drop. Very moving.

I would like to propose that the televised derby on Feb 10th be made an event day and that all United, City and other interested footie fans meetup to watch the game together in a spirit of good grace and to observe the minute's silence together.

Venue to be determined, any interest?

I'll be up for that.

Thank epiphone, these are the people I have been helping from the Munich end. More when I'm back on Monday.