Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oh, the cyclists here in Germany

54 posts in this topic

What is it about folks here who, whilst are law abiding in their cars, become aggressive law flouters bombing around on their cycles? How many times have I tried to cross the road when the crossing light says green to be nearly hit by someone going through the red light on their bike?? Don't they know that pushbikes can kill pedestrians too or don't they care?? They seem to think they're invincible when they get into the saddle!

Ian yes, i forgot to mention that! Same problem in FF! Don't cyclists get prosecuted in the same way as motorists here?? And many of the women sail through traffic lights too..serves them right if they get killed.

Just quoting to document your attitude unless you're ever in an accident with a cyclist and they wonder who's at fault.

What is it about folks here who, whilst are law abiding in their cars...

Obviously you've seen different drivers to me - speed limits, no-overtaking, stopping distances, 2 working headlights, 2 working brakelights, sobriety, consideration for other road users, not stopping in cycle lanes, etc., all seem to be optional round these parts.

And don't even get me started on the pedestrians and dog-walkers who blindly walk in anything other than a straight line and through the clearly marked out cycle path. Quite apart from the cyclists who seem incapable of keeping their bike moving in a straight line. And then the law says you should risk your life by trying to avoid all that lot on the cycle path (and the cars pulling out of side-roads, and the uncleared ice and snow in the winter). No thanks, I'll take my chances with the lorries - at least they generally have working lights.

I'll agree with you about the lack of lights and reflective clothing though - although pedestrians on country roads with no footpath would also be well-advised to not wear all-black, otherwise they might get a bike (or a bus) in their back at some point.

Ian yes, i forgot to mention that! Same problem in FF! Don't cyclists get prosecuted in the same way as motorists here?? And many of the women sail through traffic lights too..serves them right if they get killed.

Just quoting to document your attitude unless you're ever in an accident with a cyclist and they wonder who's at fault.

was removed from the above.

Don't cyclists get prosecuted in the same way as motorists here??

No because the police can't see them due to lack of lights and reflecting clothing.

It's true, most cyclists are absolute anarchists and believe that motorized traffic has to watch out for them, a courtesy they do not extend to pedestrians themselves. Learn to live with it, watch yourself and your own behavior when on a bicycle, and wear a helmet! You cannot change other peoples' behavior, only protect yourself either driving or biking.

One of my co-workers (the non-German one) wears a helmet and a reflecting vest on her bike, the other one (German) has at least taken down a reminding note to buy a helmet.

I find it much better here in Munich than in other cities that I've lived in.

Here there at least paths for the cyclists to stay on, and the cyclists obey some of the rules.

No bicycles should be allowed on any bundestrasse outside of towns. Period. I'm sick and tired of some Lance Armstrong wanna-be crawling up a hill, slower than snail shit, in the middle of morning rush-hour, taking up half the lane and making it near impossible to pass them. And this same asshat is riding on the street when there's a perfectly good (and unused) bike path right next to them.

Swerving in and out of traffic, cutting off cars, making left hand turns from the right shoulder without signaling or even looking.

When one gets splattered across the pavement, I won't lose any sleep.

No bicycles should be allowed on any bundestrasse outside of towns.

How about a swap: no motorised vehicles should be allowed on any street once you go past the Ortseingang?

there's a perfectly good (and unused) bike path right next to them.

Iif you've ever tried riding at any speed on a bike path then you'd realise why many cyclists don't use them - they're generally designed for Oma and the Enkelkinder to have a Sunday tootle along (and even for that are usually poorly designed). Even when there is no-one else using them, the uneven surfaces, pointless curves, side-roads, etc., mean that you're in more danger of having an accident on many bike paths than you are cycling in heavy traffic on a Bundesstraße.

Cycling on the pavement (sidewalk) and expecting pedestrians to get out of their bloody way... let them take their chances on the road where, as a wheeled vehicle, they surely belong! Cycling is, of course, environmentally friendly and healthy but here in German most cyclists are a menace and yes italoinglesina, they most certainly are a law unto themselves!

I agree that cyclists should stick to the road, but those that use the pavement aren't doing so to annoy people – it's because they lack the road skills and/or confidence to cycle on the road. This is most likely a result of their childhood: robotically crossing the road only when the little green man says it's OK, thus depriving them of the road awareness that kids in other countries get as a result of thinking for themselves.

There's a junction near me where you have to cross a 4-lane road, which might seem dangerous at first glance, but considering you have a dedicated green light it's actually as safe as houses. Yet around half the cyclists go onto the pavement at this point because the idea of crossing a busy road with the traffic is too much for them.

I'm with maekelborger on his road-swap idea. To me, a cyclist on a Bundesstrasse is no more or less out of place than a car in the middle of a town. And how often do you actually get stuck behind a cyclist and for how long? I doubt you lose more than about five minutes of your life each year trying to overtake cyclists, a length of time that fades into insignificance compared to the amount of time sat in traffic jams caused by people too lazy to go by bike in the first place.

I refuse to ride my bike at dusk or during heavy traffic times, because taxi drivers really do not respect bikers, and go out of their way to scare the living crap out of them. Regular drivers are no problem, everybody respects everybody else, and knows what they have to deal with and how to get out of one another's way. But cab drivers make mowing down cyclists a sport, and they think its just soooo funny. I've had many a close call with those jerks.

You guys all have it wrong, it's not that all pedestrians, all cyclists or all drivers are idiots, it's that everyone (including you) is an idiot.

Please tell me you (as a pedestrian) have never blindly stepped onto a cycle path without realising it.

Please tell me you (as a cyclist) have never forgotten your lights.

Please tell me you (as a driver) have never gone above the speed limit.

Jeez, the most dangerous person is the one that thinks that they are never wrong.

Please tell me you (as a pedestrian) have never blindly stepped onto a cycle path without realising it. Guilty

Please tell me you (as a cyclist) have never forgotten your lights. Not Guilty

Please tell me you (as a driver) have never gone above the speed limit. Guilty

This has touched on one of my main rants, as both a car driver and a cyclist (a very leisurly one), I can't say I have ever forgotten my bike lights as they always remain on my bike, but the batteries have died on me, but then I either walk the bike or stop & wait for cars to pass, but I do have reflectors on my bike and my back pack and my cycle clip thingies, it seems to me that a good majority of cyclists both young and old that ride around here are wearing dark clothing and no reflectors, lights or anything & certainly not helmets, what the hell are the parents of the kids thinking! They also like to go the wrong way down one way streets & expect the car to move or wait, the only reason I haven't yet hit a cyclist is due to sheer luck.

I'll admit to stepping in the damn bikepaths marked along the fronts of several bahnhofs when I first came to Germany. I obviously need more of a visual than simply lines spraypainted on the walkway... It used to drive my daughter nuts, she was constantly pulling me out of the way. I mean, aren't we all human here?