Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Birds Migrating? 1000's of birds over Munich

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if there are birds migrating somewhere right now and passing over Munich?

I am at work right now and we have just been staring out the window for some time here, there are thousands, tens of thousands, even tempted to say hundreds of thousands (probably not though :) ) of tiny birds flying around the office here in Reim.

I have NEVER seen anything like it before in my life, you can hardly see for birds as they fly past, everyone has been saying its like Hitchcocks movie hehe.

If only I had my camera...

Any ides?

Tom...

It's the right time of year for birds to be migrating. Can you tell what kind of birds they are, or are they simply LBB - little brown birds.

well, if you hear a scratching sound in the attic, don't go up there. and stay away from the monkey bars!

post-16-1097238151.jpg

Okay...that is weird. I was just chatting to someone about birds...and how they are freaking me out a bit lately. The Hitchcock movie was indeed mentioned.

But I did not see that large number of birds...and thank goodness for that :)

I am at work right now and we have just been staring out the window for some time here

So that is what you actually do...now I can tell people what it is.

Couple of theories - they flock to avoid predation by making it more difficult for birds of prey to home in on one particular bird or secondly, the roosting has something to do with hierarchical standing with the dominant starlings taking up the best positions (whatever they are!). Why this seems to occur only in autumn I haven't been able to suss. It's an impressive sight though I agree.

I confirmed with others at lunch (seems the whole office was watching the spectacle!).. they were Starlings

Theory number 4 - bloke starlings are, like any other bloke in the animal or mammal kingdoms, gagging for it. This is their lucky time of year when the birds (hehe) are up for it and they are all on a starling debbie does the pylon type trip.

Starlings make big flocks in the winter, 3000 birds isn't unusual. So there you go.

they're mad as hell and they're not gonna take it anymore

Should I grab my monitor and throw it out of the window?

Now what movie was that?