How to invoice a company

50 posts in this topic

Hi hi,

I am doing some work for a company on the weekends in March. And they'd asked me for my VAT number. Now as I am not my own company I don't have one. But do I invoice them with something like the file attached here ?

What should I do about a VAT Number ? Should I invoice them with VAT and hold on to the extra mulla ? Or just not charge the VAT ? I think I heard that the limit to reg for VAT was 6,000 EUR. Or do I hold on to the VAT and give it to my tax man at the end of the year ?

It's possible that I will be doing more work, so I will eventually over the 6k EUR/year, so should I just register for VAT now?

regards,

f

If you are not registered for VAT then you don't have a VAT number and don't need to (in fact legally can't) charge it. VAT registration is voluntary unless your turnover is over a certain amount. It might be they simply want your tax number (Steuernummer) as detailed in previous postings, which is a requirement on any invoice

Thanks YL6.

Any use in reg'ing for VAT, in case I earn over the voluntary value ? I will try and call my tax man and see what the value is, I guess he should know.

You MUST register for VAT if you expect to have a gross turnover of more than €17,500 in your founding year, OR you had turnover less than €17,500 in the previous year and expect more than €50,000 in the current year. Otherwise registration is voluntary, but for most people is recommended. It does mean more monthly paperwork but at the same time you effectively save 19% on anything you buy for the business.

If you earned €17,500 (turnover, not profit) or more in your previous fiscal year, then you must register for VAT in the next year.

As people have said, stay below this threshold and it is a voluntary registration.

This can have benefits in claiming back VAT on many business-related purchases. But you have to judge the benefits for yourself.

I have a small business and will possibly exceed the threshold this year or most certainly next year, but the problem I have is stock carried forward from the previous year which I have paid VAT on, but haven't been able to claim back. I have been asking my tax consultant if there is a way I can claim back the VAT for carried-over stock from a non-VAT registered to a VAT registered year.

Fortunately, she has just informed me that there is a way to do this.

So I may register sooner rather than later.

Also, in your first 3 (or is it 5?) years of being VAT registered you MUST submit VAT calculations to the Finanzamt on a monthly basis. After this initial period, it is (I believe) every 3 months.

MT

Thanks for the tips folks.

Time to send my "very first real proper invoice" ! :D

if you are planning on registering for VAT, then you can include VAT on invoices prior to registration, but clearly you must submit the necessary forms for declaration immediately following registration, latest at the end of the month. And of course, you can immediately start claiming it back on business expenses.

It might be they simply want your tax number (Steuernummer) as detailed in previous postings, which is a requirement on any invoice

I've ended up in a similar position to false above and have done some work for a friend's company without contract and he now wants to pay me (nice chap!) and says he needs an invoice. I take it from this thread that I can just write 'Invoice No. 1' on a bit of paper with today's date, my name, address, personal steuernummer from my friendly finanzamt (I don't have any company, so no other tax number), ignore any MWST and just write the amount owed and my bank details, the reason for the invoice with dates of the work and slap it in the post to him and all this is legal. Then I just put this on my tax return at the year end and I'm all square with the finanzamt. Can someone who knows just confirm that hasn't changed in the last year and my understanding is more or less correct? Thanks.

Hello,

Nice topic. I now have to issue invoices myself and this info was very helpful.

One more question: I recently received from the Bundeskanzleramt für Steuern a "Persönliche Identifikationsnummer" (more info at www.indentifikationsmerkmal.de), which as I understood should be used to declare taxes and stuff. My question is: can I (or should I) use this number to emit invoices? This is the same as a Steuernummer I would get at the Finanzamt?

Another quick question: I have a student visa which allows me to work 20h/week. I am doing some extra work which requires me to emit invoices. As a student, are the regulations any different then all that was mentioned above?

As the last reader posted, I guess i should only write an invoice with name, address, invoice number, steuer number, services, values.

Thank you a lot!

Liebe Grüße

Daniel

On 10/8/2004, 9:24:39, Editor Bob said:

Invoices are easy-peasy lemon-squeezy if you have a template to work with:

invoice_template.doc

This template is written in English but it adheres to all the various German tax regulations - just translate the relevant bits if you need to.

Hi there!!

Thanks a lot for this post.I did some paid freelance work for a company.They've asked me to send them an invoice.I'm very new to Germany.Can you exactly tell me how to fill in that invoice form you've attached.How do I know the reference number of the invoice?Thanks fo the help.